Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 535i xDrive Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5canes View Post
Just as an aside, the sport automatic transmission also came on my 2008 550i as well as my 2010 550i. Those cars did not have the adaptive drive on them so it does not necessarily mean that you require adaptive drive to have the benefits of the sport automatic transmission or to even have it all.

M sport package on the F10 automatically brings the sport automatic transmission. What I don't know for sure is if the M sport package also brings the adaptive drive feature as standard in the package.
+1, I think AD was part of the ZMP on the F10. I dont see any mention of SAT for ZMP or ZMX on the E70, so I guess we will just have to 'hope' that it is there.

Last edited by Larry Cable; 05-15-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cable View Post
+1, I think AD was part of the ZMP on the F10, I dont see any mention of it for ZMP or ZMX on the E70, so I guess we will just have to 'hope' that it is there.
Adaptive drive is a stand alone option, you specifically have to order it if you want it. 2VA is the option code, should be on your build sheet if you have it.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 328 Mspo, 958 Piggy, etc.
Beautiful ride. if I could order my X5 again, M sport and AD are definitely on my must-have list. And I will choose the multi-contour seat again.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero4588 View Post
Beautiful ride. if I could order my X5 again, M sport and AD are definitely on my must-have list. And I will choose the multi-contour seat again.
yep I ordered, M-Sport (ZMP), M Performance (ZMX), Adaptive Drive, Multi-contour seats, premium pkg, premium sound ...
Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Adaptive drive is a stand alone option, you specifically have to order it if you want it. 2VA is the option code, should be on your build sheet if you have it.
thanks I am aware of that...
Old 05-15-2012, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cable View Post
thanks I am aware of that...
I see you edited that post...
Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I see you edited that post...
yep, I realized that my post was ambiguous, when I was referring to SAT and not AD, it read as though I was referring to the latter ... thanks for bringing that to my attn.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Dinan x5 50i
After 30,000 miles on my X5 50i, I agree with almost all the points made comparing the X5 50i and the X5M, even though I always believe that you can never have too much power. The price premium for the X5M just seemed a bit too high.
Suprisingly, after 30,000 miles I have had no problems with my X5 50i. The only annoyance has been the low rpm whine that it makes at around 1500 rpm either in park or while driving very slowly. However, BMW has refused to acknowledge that this is an issue. It sounds like a golf cart at very low speeds.
My recommendations ( living in Florida) DO GET the ventilated seats and the active steering to mitigate that 42 ft turning circle.
DO the factory delivery and do drive the Tail of the Dragon on the way.
DO do the 2 day M-class, ...that I can't speak highly enough of. Take the opportunity to thrash the M3, M5 and 1M on the track. I have also done the 2 day driving school which was also excellent

DON"T get the running boards, they are useless appendages. Get mud flaps instead.
Question: Why wont BMW let you close the rear hatch using the remote or from inside the car?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: S2000-MINI JCW-X5 50i
Quick question here...I just ordered my '13 X5 5.0i on Sunday. I ordered the M Sport Package - can you add the M Performance Package after production or does it need to be added while being built at the factory?

I guess my question really is - is the M Performance Pkg CPU/tuning based, hardware based, or both? Just ordered my X5 on Sunday so not in production yet and can probably change if I wanted.

Also, any idea what the gas mileage difference is with and without the M Performance Package?

The car will be my wife's, so she really doesn't care about this - but I am curious. Thanks!

Last edited by Grimnebulin; 05-29-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Mixed up Packages...
Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: '15 35d MSport Carbon Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
Quick question here...I just ordered my '13 X5 5.0i on Sunday. I ordered the M Performance Package - can you add the M Sport Package after production or does it need to be added while being built at the factory?

I guess my question really is - is the M Sport Pkg CPU/tuning based, hardware based, or both? Just ordered my X5 on Sunday so not in production yet and can probably change if I wanted.

Also, any idea what the gas mileage difference is with and without the M Sport Package?

The car will be my wife's, so she really doesn't care about this - but I am curious. Thanks!
My understanding is that you HAVE to order the M-Sport Package to be able to order the M-Performance package.

Therefore, if you ordered the M-Performance Package you also ordered the M-Sport package.

I also asked about the fuel economy difference and to me, there is no difference so far. I was anticipating around 16.5mpg in mixed use driving and that is what I am getting. About 2mpg less than my 35i avg mpg of 18.5. The fuel economy difference will all come from how heavy a right foot you have on the accelerator. If you don't mash the pedal then I don't think there will be much of a difference.

Best of luck.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:47 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to that question. I don't want to guess.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: S2000-MINI JCW-X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by plegard View Post
My understanding is that you HAVE to order the M-Sport Package to be able to order the M-Performance package.

Therefore, if you ordered the M-Performance Package you also ordered the M-Sport package.

I also asked about the fuel economy difference and to me, there is no difference so far. I was anticipating around 16.5mpg in mixed use driving and that is what I am getting. About 2mpg less than my 35i avg mpg of 18.5. The fuel economy difference will all come from how heavy a right foot you have on the accelerator. If you don't mash the pedal then I don't think there will be much of a difference.

Best of luck.
My mistake - I switched them up. I ordered the M Sport Package and was wondering about the M Performance Package. Sorry about that!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Since my wife likes to mash - it may make a difference.

Last edited by Grimnebulin; 05-29-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:32 PM

you have to order M Perf pkg from the factory... and ZMX automatically selects ZMP (M-Sport pkg)
Old 04-20-2013, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng1 View Post
The only annoyance has been the low rpm whine that it makes at around 1500 rpm either in park or while driving very slowly. However, BMW has refused to acknowledge that this is an issue. It sounds like a golf cart at very low speeds.
Are all the 5.0 making that noise ? Mine is making it too, I supposed the whine was coming from the turbo, am I right ?

Phil
Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 AM

X50i low speed while

I don't believe that it is turbo related. It is engine related however because it occurs in neutral or while driving very slowly. I find it embarassing. My X50i now has 40,000 miles and it still whines, however BMW will tell you that "they all do it".
I don't think that I will replace the X50 with another BMW although I really like the power and the driving experience. It's just so annoying.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
I have not been able to hear the whine from outside the car, I hope it is not too embarrassing...

I also a small whine when I push the steering at a stop, like a small power steering whine. not the one you get at wheel lock. Just when the steering is dead center and I push it ever so slightly with a finger. more like a small humming, but still I don't see why we have so many noises on a car that expensive.

Again only matter if you have car OCD like me
Old 04-21-2013, 10:01 AM

I hadn't noticed any noises from the steering.
I guess that I'm also OCD when it comes to machinery, at least my wife thinks so. But then again, that's why I bought a BMW, and I really think that BMW must be aware of this issue. That being said I also am aware of a whining from the older 3 series cars that they give me as a loaner. Maybe it's just me.
However in my defense my modified 1996 Impala SS runs silently at low speeds until I get on the gas and then it's all tire smoke and FlowMaster. Now if Chevrolet could engineer whines out of their cars in 1996, what is BMW's excuse?.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
Quote:
I hadn't noticed any noises from the steering.
I guess that I'm also OCD when it comes to machinery, at least my wife thinks so. But then again, that's why I bought a BMW, and I really think that BMW must be aware of this issue. That being said I also am aware of a whining from the older 3 series cars that they give me as a loaner. Maybe it's just me.
However in my defense my modified 1996 Impala SS runs silently at low speeds until I get on the gas and then it's all tire smoke and FlowMaster. Now if Chevrolet could engineer whines out of their cars in 1996, what is BMW's excuse?.

Definitely not just you. I run my car on the beach all the time and most of my driving is between 1st and 3rd gear at 1500-1800 rpm. The whine is terrible. Even around town, city Traffic, it gets to be unbearable and very annoying. I can't figure out where it's coming from. There was a TSB for Oil Pump in earlier 5.0s. The description of the condition suggests it could be the oil pump. However, dealers will not admit there is anything wrong. I had four 94-95 5.7L LT1 Caprice/Impala SSs. Buttery smooth and much better fuel mileage. Talk about archaic Chevy push rod small block vs Hi-Tech BMW
Old 04-21-2013, 04:05 PM

X5 50i and '96 SS are extremes to be sure. Although the X5 50 is probably faster than my Impala, sometime you just can't beat a dose of tire smoke.
I have to wonder about AMGs decision to go all wheel drive on all their 2014 cars. Faster, but more fun??
Old 04-21-2013, 05:08 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Quote:

X5 50i and '96 SS are extremes to be sure. Although the X5 50 is probably faster than my Impala, sometime you just can't beat a dose of tire smoke.
I have to wonder about AMGs decision to go all wheel drive on all their 2014 cars. Faster, but more fun??
Perfect way to end a sunday! love it

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps