Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM
VA makes me miss WA

Mein Auto: 2001 ///M5
PPI and dealer issue

Okay, need input.

Bought another E39 last month from private party. Had the PPI done at the local dealer. Dealer came back with worn tires and rear ball joints that had play but are good for another 6-12 months. Bought the car with that knowledge in mind.

One week and 300 miles later (driving it home), I take the car to my local dealer for its safety inspection (requisite for registration) and they come back with 4k in work. Now some of it is crap (read, stuff they just wanna do cause they don't know if its been done). They fail my car for the ball joints (1100$), and also list the oil filter housing bushings (torn, 230$), both upper rear control arm boots (torn, 1400$), and both front thrust rod bushings (starting to tear, 800$). As a bonus, the clutch went out (4400$) a couple days ago, so now it's immoble.

So after speaking with the tech, it seems that all of this is stuff that the PPI should have uncovered without much effort.

You guys know of any possible re-course on this or am I SOL?

Thanks,

lurch
Ads by Google
Old 05-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Eat the PPI and get on with your life. I doubt you'll get them to refund your money. Caveat Emptor. They probably put the car-wash jockey on the PPI job. Many on this forum vote thumbs-down on dealer service.

You COULD spread you dissatisfaction about the dealer on facebook or Twitter.

BTW, I'd get a second opinion: $230 for oil canister bushings is outrageous; it's a 30-min job, at most. Wonder how inflated the other prices are?

BTW2, you're lucky: the DC area has a Consumer's Checkbook operation (www.checkbook.org). They run frequent surveys on auto repair shops.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 05-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:06 PM
VA makes me miss WA

Mein Auto: 2001 ///M5
I'm sure they're inflated, it's the dealer....and an M5. I normally don't get anything done at the dealer, but my last shop lost my confidence, and hadn't found a new one before the new E39 came in.

I figured if nothing else I could take a shot at BimmerMag, Roundel, whateves. If I'm gonna eat this $, I might as well advertise the horsef**kery.

Update: I spoke with BMWNA, and they warned that they side with their dealers in disputes like this, which is, needless to say disappointing.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch09 View Post
Okay, need input.

Bought another E39 last month from private party. Had the PPI done at the local dealer. Dealer came back with worn tires and rear ball joints that had play but are good for another 6-12 months. Bought the car with that knowledge in mind.

One week and 300 miles later (driving it home), I take the car to my local dealer for its safety inspection (requisite for registration) and they come back with 4k in work. Now some of it is crap (read, stuff they just wanna do cause they don't know if its been done). They fail my car for the ball joints (1100$), and also list the oil filter housing bushings (torn, 230$), both upper rear control arm boots (torn, 1400$), and both front thrust rod bushings (starting to tear, 800$). As a bonus, the clutch went out (4400$) a couple days ago, so now it's immoble.

So after speaking with the tech, it seems that all of this is stuff that the PPI should have uncovered without much effort.

You guys know of any possible re-course on this or am I SOL?

Thanks,

lurch
It's all about developing relationships. You did not indicate the series of events leading up to the issues 300 miles later. Did you just speak with a service advisor initially and ask for a PPI? Did you ask for someone who has knowledge of M5's? Did they tell you about what they include in the PPI? I've heard that some dealers only perform a "modest inspection" as their PPI. I know others who do a Inspection I-less parts and fluids, as their PPI. Some even provide a check list of what was inspected and condition of the items. Also keep in mind a $300 inspection should be more involved than a $100 PPI.

Even thou many speak ill of dealers, I've developed relationships with owners, service advisors and the guys in the parts department. You never know when you might need to discuss something with one of them. I bought a Ford Focus three weeks ago for my daughter. When we discussed a security deposit, they told me my word was good enough for them.

At this point, I'd go directly to the owner, and point out the differences between the PPI and what happened 300 miles later. Working with the tech and or service advisior at this point would not satisfy my disappointment. Hopefully the owner will work with you. I'd point out that had they told you about these additional items, it may or may not have affected your decision to purchase the car, and also the final sales price. They want your repeat business. Hopefully things will work out. After that, the only repeat business I'd give them initially, is thru the parts department. Also, it never hurts to be on a first name basis with the owner of any dealership be it BMW or Ford.

Then go to bimrs.org or similar sites and find a new independent.

Good luck.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue
Old 05-15-2012, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
the best PPI is an E39 knowledge
all issues you mentioned you can easy check yourself and with 3 years on this forum it should not be new for you
all you can do is ask your money back for the first PPI
Good luck.

BMW E38/E39 Rear Axle/Differential Bush Tool

Last edited by champaign777; 05-15-2012 at 11:48 AM.