Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: VW Jetta
Worth waiting for ALL NEW 2014 X5-2013 Release?

I wanted to hear your comments..is it worth to wait for 2014 All New X5? After looking at all new 3 series, I am expecting new generation X5. Although, new car is not imminent need for me but waiting for All NEW X5 another 12 or so months is a bit challenge.

Is it going to be released in 2013?
Are they really next generation?
Especially, i am not going for Hybrid or so. Typical Gas (may be Diesel). Not sure, how they will be priced.
Ads by Google
Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d-AW/Tobacco
Will be released late 2013 as a 2104 model. Should be a pretty heavy revamp and new 'gen'. As others have recommended on the subject, consider avoiding the first year, maybe two of a new gen model....bugs, etc. If you like the E70 go for it, especially if you think waiting for another 12-18 months or longer if you want a 2015 is challenging.

We decided to go for the 2012 because I didn't want to risk waiting for the 2014 and not liking the new design. I think it's going to be a bit different than what we see now in the X5, and we really like the current design.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
OMG. Yes, worth waiting.

Next question.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
No not worth waiting for me.
I never buy first year models in fear of issues and bugs. The new design if it will be similar to the X3 which to me it does appear to have some of its features then I will pass for now. I'm happy to have the last production year car as it should be "perfect".
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Have debated this but am planning to go with the X70. The "F15" is still over a year off. We really don't want a first year BMW. Also don't like the direction they're going with on the "F" chassis BMWs with numb electric steering, 4-cylinders, cheesy pop-up looking screens, etc. I've seen talk of the N20 going into the next X5 as a base engine along with a hybrid model, which makes me wonder if they're going to continue with the diesel which my wife really likes?

So hoping to order an X70 to my wife's liking soon. Can either keep it when the lease is done if she doesn't like the new one, or be able to choose from a 2nd/3rd year F15 which would hopefully have most of the bugs sorted out.

more pics here
Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i
Have you ever wondered why....with BMW being as smart and clever as they are....they just can't get the first-year model bugs out before they hit the road??
Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Fourth year of a new model is the sweet spot, IMHO. The first three years tend to be buggy. BMW fixes the issues it can, but there's always some issues that are more amenable to fixing at the LCI change. Plus BMW adds more content and generally improves the appearance a bit.

That's speaking as someone that likes to keep his cars for 10 years or so. If you lease or turn over your cars within the warranty period, then I suppose any year would be fine.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
Have debated this but am planning to go with the X70. The "F15" is still over a year off. We really don't want a first year BMW. Also don't like the direction they're going with on the "F" chassis BMWs with numb electric steering, 4-cylinders, cheesy pop-up looking screens, etc. I've seen talk of the N20 going into the next X5 as a base engine along with a hybrid model, which makes me wonder if they're going to continue with the diesel which my wife really likes?

So hoping to order an X70 to my wife's liking soon. Can either keep it when the lease is done if she doesn't like the new one, or be able to choose from a 2nd/3rd year F15 which would hopefully have most of the bugs sorted out.
Only two things that I can guarantee with the updated X5

1. Oil temp gauge- positive direction
2. Soft " mushy steering " - negative direction.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: German
I've bought plenty of first year redesigns and they were fine, except none were BMW. Looking at the F30 and F10 forums, I'd rather not buy a first year BMW. Look at all the crap F10 owners are going through. Wait until the LCI
Old 05-15-2012, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post
... Although, new car is not imminent need for me...
I think you answered your own question already.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5canes View Post
Have you ever wondered why....with BMW being as smart and clever as they are....they just can't get the first-year model bugs out before they hit the road??
Because a lot of issues don't manifest themselves until you hit full production with full production spec parts and have a much larger sample of product out in the field. It's simply not possible to discover every possible issue that there might be in a vehicle while working with very few pre-production prototype test mules using pre-production parts, that don't even represent a fraction of the possible configuration options. Even the Japanese are not immune to this. This is universally true whether you're talking about cars or cellular phones. Actually it is possible to do what you're saying, but just not economically feasible. You would have to push the release date for a car back by a full year, build a few thousand of the vehicles with full-production parts, and then employ a few thousand people to drive them around non-stop trying to break them for 6 months, and then giving your sustaining engineering team 6 months to fix the problems in time for the second model year, except now this would really be your first model year. Due to all of the extra time and people involved, expect the price of your car to go up by a good 25% too. A $50k X5 would now cost $62k and change just from that. So better to release to the wild sooner and let early adopters be the fleet of beta testers and support as needed with warranty support, loaner cars, and if needed a few buy backs here and there for what are truly lemons. That's way cheaper.

more pics here
Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
..That's way cheaper.
Exactly. In grand scheme of things risk of warranty repairs is cheaper than cost of full, 'all bugs out', 100% bullet-proof testing combined with the risk of missed sales due to competition being faster.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 328 Mspo, 958 Piggy, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
Only two things that I can guarantee with the updated X5

1. Oil temp gauge- positive direction
2. Soft " mushy steering " - negative direction.
LOL.

With a model in its full term like the E70 X5, you'll get a truck with most of the bugs worked out. Mine was pretty much near-perfect, except for the annoyance of not having a temp gauge.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: E46M3 & X5D
I'd avoid first year production. We did not have very pleasant experience with 2004 X3
Sunroof replaced (it stuck open)
Radio/CD replaced
Gas level sensor (in the tank) replaced 3 times and still was giving wrong readings!!!
Front passenger floor flooded every time after heavy rain
Lazy transmission, when the car was going up hill the engine (2.5L) was struggling at 1500 rpm with transmission not shifting a gear down
All the repairs were done under warranty but imagine the inconvenience leaving the car for service every month or so

After we sold the X3 we got 2011 X5D and we cannot be happier "except for the annoyance of not having a temp gauge"
As of today at 12k miles not a single problem knock on wood
1996 318ti E36 Hatchback 4-cyl 5SP Manual (SOLD)

Last edited by tol4o; 05-15-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
OMG. Yes, worth waiting.

Next question.

Can you try and make it a bit more complicated . . . maybe share a few of your reasons for "worth waiting"?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I've bought plenty of first year redesigns and they were fine, except none were BMW. Looking at the F30 and F10 forums, I'd rather not buy a first year BMW. Look at all the crap F10 owners are going through. Wait until the LCI
I bought a first year E92 335i, and loved it - had no issues whatsoever, but I consider myself lucky, as I didn't have any issues with the HPFP that a LOT of people had. On the other hand, I bought a first year 350Z, and dropped the 3rd gear syncros (among other problems as well) at 13K miles. Both those things steer me away from future first year models. That, and I like to gauge what the resale market does as well with the car. If it flops, I tend to avoid it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Fourth year of a new model is the sweet spot, IMHO. The first three years tend to be buggy. BMW fixes the issues it can, but there's always some issues that are more amenable to fixing at the LCI change. Plus BMW adds more content and generally improves the appearance a bit.

That's speaking as someone that likes to keep his cars for 10 years or so. If you lease or turn over your cars within the warranty period, then I suppose any year would be fine.
I agree with this on the E70 X5. However, I was not a fan of the E92 LCI. Even if I lease, though - I still try to avoid known problems..

Quote:
Have debated this but am planning to go with the X70. The "F15" is still over a year off. We really don't want a first year BMW. Also don't like the direction they're going with on the "F" chassis BMWs with numb electric steering, 4-cylinders, cheesy pop-up looking screens, etc.
I'm not feeling any of the new "F's". I've warmed up to the looks of the F10 slightly, but the steering kills it for me. The ordering scheme (dumb combinations, limitations on trims, interiors, etc) has made me avoid the 3er all together. I sense BMW is slipping a bit here, turning to some of the japanese carmakers' ways of limiting options by just making a large pre-determined package. I have warmed up to some of the exterior looks of the F30 (actually like the wagon from the pics), but I still can't stand the interior (mainly the lack of color combinations here).

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Activity
[QUOTE=newbimmerx5;6834852]I wanted to hear your comments..is it worth to wait for 2014 All New X5? After looking at all new 3 series, I am expecting new generation X5. Although, new car is not imminent need for me but waiting for All NEW X5 another 12 or so months is a bit challenge.

NewbimmerX5, I had exactly the same issue. In the end I decided that

(a) I needed a new car, as I needed more space,

(b) I like the styling of the current E70 X5 and to be honest I was a little concerned that the new X5 would be even more car like in the mold of the X1 and X3 which I really don't like

(c) The car is pretty much spot on in terms of build quality (so far - fingers crossed) which I think is what happens after the mid-life freshen and then a couple more years of build.

It also amazes me that if you look back at the original X5, particularly if it's spec'd nicely (dark color and big wheels) they still look very contemporary even after 12 years of production.

I looked at the ML which is brand new and really don't like it's more effeminate styling.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: '11 GTR, '12 X5 50i, 550i
No one here can answer whether it's worth waiting because none of us knows what the next generation X5 will be like. You may like it more than the current one, or you may like it less. Is it worth waiting a year or two for a new one that you may not like as much? Don't know but it wasn't for me. Worst case scenario, if the new one comes out and you have to have one, you can trade up.

Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...

Last edited by TahoeM3; 05-17-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 X3 3.0
There are manufacturers that consistently nail first year reliability, BMW isn't one of them. I like my bimmers, but I view BMW ownership as a consumption proposition with the tradeoff being driving enjoyment and aesthetics. If BMW offered the same quality and longevity as a Japanese-built Toyota, I'd pay more because that's what it boils down to. Building cars with robust components and precision is expensive, but the peace of mind and convenience of having a car run 10yrs/150k with no major malfunctions is a value proposition that would be worth it to me to stretch money-wise if given the choice. What I'm saying, basically, is that chubby chicks tend to have better personalities.

The peeks of the next gen X5 look good to me, but I will probably squeeze my e70 to at least the mid-cycle of the next gen X5.

Last edited by Proud Highway; 05-17-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: X5 diesel
My local dealer claims you never know when and if diesels will be available. The 2013 X5 is available now but not with the diesel-dealer says they have been told 2013 diesel availability is after Nov. My current x5 diesel lease is up in Sept 2013, and I went in to try to find out about when I could order the 2014 diesel. My X5 will be about 15,000 miles over the 30,000 lease amount in Sept, 2013 and the run-flats will never make it past another 2,000 miles. After going through all the numbers, I ordered a 2012 X5 diesel which will take about 6 weeks to build. I will not have to buy any miles nor tires, and the lease payment will stay the same as it is now with a couple more extras. Will keep me from laying out about $5,000 for the miles and tires and get a new car. I may be able to go through this same exercise when the 2014 X5 diesel is available.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: E46M3 & X5D
2014 X5 xdrive50d tri-turbo and 8 speed will be nice if ever available in US...
1996 318ti E36 Hatchback 4-cyl 5SP Manual (SOLD)
Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by tol4o View Post
I'd avoid first year production. We did not have very pleasant experience with 2004 X3
Sunroof replaced (it stuck open)
Radio/CD replaced
Gas level sensor (in the tank) replaced 3 times and still was giving wrong readings!!!
Front passenger floor flooded every time after heavy rain
Lazy transmission, when the car was going up hill the engine (2.5L) was struggling at 1500 rpm with transmission not shifting a gear down
All the repairs were done under warranty but imagine the inconvenience leaving the car for service every month or so

After we sold the X3 we got 2011 X5D and we cannot be happier "except for the annoyance of not having a temp gauge"
As of today at 12k miles not a single problem knock on wood
The old x3 was a bag of nails. It didn't matter which year you got. A truely horrible vehicle.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Fourth year of a new model is the sweet spot, IMHO. The first three years tend to be buggy. BMW fixes the issues it can, but there's always some issues that are more amenable to fixing at the LCI change.
What a bunch of nonsense.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
If the headlights / front end on next gen X5 looks anything close to the new 3 series', I am out. That's 10x worse than the Bangle Butt.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessbs View Post
My local dealer claims you never know when and if diesels will be available. The 2013 X5 is available now but not with the diesel-dealer says they have been told 2013 diesel availability is after Nov. My current x5 diesel lease is up in Sept 2013, and I went in to try to find out about when I could order the 2014 diesel. My X5 will be about 15,000 miles over the 30,000 lease amount in Sept, 2013 and the run-flats will never make it past another 2,000 miles. After going through all the numbers, I ordered a 2012 X5 diesel which will take about 6 weeks to build. I will not have to buy any miles nor tires, and the lease payment will stay the same as it is now with a couple more extras. Will keep me from laying out about $5,000 for the miles and tires and get a new car. I may be able to go through this same exercise when the 2014 X5 diesel is available.
Apologies to all in advance as this is off topic, but it's interesting to hear the above account. I had a similar outcome with my previous lease. My 2010 X5 35d lease was due this November. In June BMW sent me an early lease pull out offer to forfeit 2 monthly payments, leaving me with 2 more to make. In addition, my car had about 5K extra miles (and by November I would have had about double that), a windshield in need of replacement (due to a rock chip the size of Vesuvius), and the original set of tires (which would have definitely not lasted till November). I found a 2012 X5 35d on a dealer's lot. It had a lot more bells and whistles than my previous car (for an MSRP difference of about 5K). I got the car with zero down and without having to pay for anything (not even the remaining 2 monthly payments), and my new monthly payment is $106 LESS. So, I really got a very good deal on the current car and/or I really got a very bad deal on the previous one. The difference between the two is me doing my homework (getting multiple quotes from different dealers) before pulling the trigger on a car. I didn't do that the first time around...

Last edited by Marwan; 08-10-2012 at 09:57 AM.