Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to captirwin
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Talking A Revalation

I think I know why BMW does NOT program the fob to close the tailgate.

Today at Costco, I finished putting my purchases in the back of my X3. Instead of unlocking the doors, I accidently pushed the tailgate button; and closed the tailgate on my head. STOP LAUGHING... I'm OK, lesson learned.

Be Careful closing the tailgate.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 AM
Captain Amazing

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
I wonder if there's a way to turn on a gong of sorts like the Mercedes has?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i M Sport
That's a great idea. A gong when the tailgate first starts to open or close would be a great idea... I am STILL waiting on my OBD plug to arrive before I can even begin building the cable and starting to program...

Also, does anyone know if the coding interface software works on Apple computers or PC stuff only?? (sorry, I'm all Apple, all the way)

Hers & His
Old 06-18-2012, 05:05 AM
Captain Amazing

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
PC and Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterX3 View Post
That's a great idea. A gong when the tailgate first starts to open or close would be a great idea... I am STILL waiting on my OBD plug to arrive before I can even begin building the cable and starting to program...

Also, does anyone know if the coding interface software works on Apple computers or PC stuff only?? (sorry, I'm all Apple, all the way)
It's PC only - but if you have a great emulator that's fast - it can be done. Check out the F10 coding forum.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanArcher View Post
I wonder if there's a way to turn on a gong of sorts like the Mercedes has?
A gong? I don't think so.
I hit the botton and bang...the tailgate was on its way down. All the gong would do is let me know I was hit.
The answer is, don't stand under the tailgate with the fob in your hand.

Last edited by captirwin; 06-18-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Error running software

Anyone who has successfully loaded the software come across this error when trying to run ZGW_SEARCH.exe:

"MSWINSCK.OCX’ or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

Thanks
2011 X3 35i, Titanium Silver, Mohave Nevada Leather, Sport Activity Package, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, Brushed Aluminum trim, Head-up Display, Satellite radio, Logic7
Old 07-05-2012, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2011
MSWINSCK.OCX is a utility used by Visual Basic for socket communications, its old file created by Microsoft. If you had loaded Visual basic on your m/c and uninstalled, it might get removed/ deregisterd in registry or your registry got corrupted.

I never saw this error message.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captirwin View Post
I think I know why BMW does NOT program the fob to close the tailgate.

Today at Costco, I finished putting my purchases in the back of my X3. Instead of unlocking the doors, I accidently pushed the tailgate button; and closed the tailgate on my head. STOP LAUGHING... I'm OK, lesson learned.

Be Careful closing the tailgate.
Same thing will happen if you stand close to the tailgate and open it. Bang, it will hit you. Does it mean that even opening should be manual with a push of a button on the car?

Last edited by April1; 07-05-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:52 PM

mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
Same thing will happen if you stand close to the tailgate and open it. Bang, it will hit you. Does it mean that even opening should be manual with a push of a button on the car?
And don't stand to close to the mirrors when opening...
Old 07-05-2012, 05:04 PM

So I conclude that there is no harm on coding for closing tha tailgate through FOB. We got to be careful in any way while closing or opening the tailgate. Accidents do happen but this case is not a big deal.

Last edited by April1; 07-05-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
So I conclude that there is no harm on coding for closing tha tailgate through FOB. We got to be careful in any way while closing or opening the tailgate.
Agreed, and don't forget the mirrors.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Well, I wish I could actually start doing more with coding, but the guy that I ordered the OBD connector from on Ebay still hasn't sent it to me. Estimated shipping was June 6th... We're now a month later.. Still NOTHING... I'm so pissed. I could care less that it was a $6 item, but seriously, someone had to scam me... WTF?!!?

Hers & His
Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Well, I wish I could actually start doing more with coding, but the guy that I ordered the OBD connector from on Ebay still hasn't sent it to me. Estimated shipping was June 6th... We're now a month later.. Still NOTHING... I'm so pissed. I could care less that it was a $6 item, but seriously, someone had to scam me... WTF?!!?
Sorry to know about it, many on forums can supply such assembled cables. I too have stock of fully tested cables. PM me if you want one.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
MSWINSCK.OCX is a utility used by Visual Basic for socket communications, its old file created by Microsoft. If you had loaded Visual basic on your m/c and uninstalled, it might get removed/ deregisterd in registry or your registry got corrupted.

I never saw this error message.
So a little research by captirwin and me have discovered that it is apparently an issue with Windows 7 64 bit.

The MSWINSCK.OCX file is included with the Esys software (located in the C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\ENET folder). So far the fixes I've found online have not worked including adding the MSWINSCK.OCX file to the Windows32 folder on the C drive as well as using the administrator Command Prompt to register the file.

Grrrr, so close yet so far.
2011 X3 35i, Titanium Silver, Mohave Nevada Leather, Sport Activity Package, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, Brushed Aluminum trim, Head-up Display, Satellite radio, Logic7
Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrskr View Post
Anyone who has successfully loaded the software come across this error when trying to run ZGW_SEARCH.exe:

"MSWINSCK.OCX’ or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

Thanks
Do following:

Check your folder C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\ENET

It should have ZGW_SEARCH.EXE and MSWINSCK.OCX files

If it does not have both, you got to get them placed in the same folder. After that if it does not work, I will give you a script to run to make it work.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Do following:

Check your folder C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\ENET

It should have ZGW_SEARCH.EXE and MSWINSCK.OCX files

If it does not have both, you got to get them placed in the same folder. After that if it does not work, I will give you a script to run to make it work.
Both files are in the C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\ENET folder. Still no joy... A script would be great! Thanks!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 PM

cable loan

Quote:
I have an extra cable your welcome to borrow, I know it works, I've used it to recode my x3
Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
So a little research by captirwin and me have discovered that it is apparently an issue with Windows 7 64 bit.

The MSWINSCK.OCX file is included with the Esys software (located in the C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\ENET folder). So far the fixes I've found online have not worked including adding the MSWINSCK.OCX file to the Windows32 folder on the C drive as well as using the administrator Command Prompt to register the file.

Grrrr, so close yet so far.
Oh you have both the files in the same folder, then do the following:

Get the command prompt and run following :

>regsvr32 /u "C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\ENET\MSWINSCK.OCX"
>regsvr32 "C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\ENET\MSWINSCK.OCX"

If you do not know how to run these commands, I can prepare a batch file for you.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Oh you have both the files in the same folder, then do the following:

Get the command prompt and run following :

>regsvr32 /u "C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\ENET\MSWINSCK.OCX"
>regsvr32 "C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\ENET\MSWINSCK.OCX"

If you do not know how to run these commands, I can prepare a batch file for you.
SUCCESS! I owe you one. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Now, considering I've had a few cocktails I think I'll wait until tomorrow to try some coding!

Thanks to captirwin and April1 for all the help!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Go ahead and enjoy coding, don't forget to take a full backup of original CAF files of your X3. You can use the utility I had circulated earlier.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:46 AM

April1/captirwin... Thanks to you both for the offers. I will get in touch soon.

For the rest of you... I just got a message from the guy on Ebay where I tried to buy the cable. He said he was shipping another out of his NJ warehouse (why would it ship from China instead of NJ initially)...

And then, sometime last night he refunded my money. I still managed to leave him awful feedback. Bastard...

Here is the link to the auction and the seller 'whiteboxcomputer'. Buyer BEWARE!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Universa...ht_2886wt_1304

Hers & His
Old 07-07-2012, 08:33 PM

Success!

Finally got the software installed and took the time to recode, thanks to help from captirwin and April1. Here is what I did:

-disabled seat belt reminders for driver and passenger
-unlock doors when turning car off/single pull open doors (one of my favorite changes!)
-close windows and sunroof with keyfob and comfort access
-enabled fog lights with high beams (not checked yet)
-opening doors do not stop window roll up (not checked yet)
-close rear hatch with key fob/and drivers side button (love it!)
-disabling iDrive legal disclaimer

change I tried but doesn't seem to work
-enabling turn signals in HUD - no difference
-disabling back up camera disclaimer

Now, the last thing I wish I could change is for the car to remember what sport mode I left the car in (i.e. Normal, Sport or Sport+). The car always reverts to Normal.

I am in the Seattle area and would be happy to help anyone local who wants to do some coding.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3
Quick Question about the Warranty and Recoding

Good Day All,

I am currently in Frankfurt, Germany. I had a call into the dealership to see if they would recode my 2013 BMW X3. After constantly pinging on the rep., he followed up with the dealership. The answer I got was, "they don't know how to do that". Now I would understand if they said, "no, we don't/won't do that". But to say that they don't know how??? I think that is B/S! The rep. did raise the point that, to mess with the programming of the BMW would most likely void the warranty. My question is, has anyone who has recoded their vehicle heard from a dealership that the warranty is now void? I would guess that anytime you take it in with a problem, they have to look at the programming. I have the cable, and you guys have been so kind as to provide the software. Just need to know before I dig in! Thanks in advance, and have a great day:-)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
If you code the power trunk to close with the key fob and for some reason the power lift doesn't work you can expect to pay for the repair. On the other hand if there is a fault with the front suspension and you coded the trunk the suspension would be fully covered by the warranty.