Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 05-13-2012, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 325i
Anti theft system problem

hello,
I tried to install an aftermarket radio into my 1993 BMW 325i today but once I reconnected the battery, with the new radio installed, the hazard lights came on and would not turn off. I have tried everything I can think of taking off the battery, driving it forwards and backwards, etc. I'm really annoyed now because I can't drive my car anywhere now.
Ads by Google
Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Sorry that this sounds like I'm being silly, but did you try pushing the hazard flasher button below the shifter? If it doesn't turn off on the first push, do it again.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Sorry that this sounds like I'm being silly, but did you try pushing the hazard flasher button below the shifter? If it doesn't turn off on the first push, do it again.
Yes it just makes the hazard lights go faster. That's how I knew that it wasn't the hazard light button.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
+1 to what Ken said. I've had this happen a couple times on my car when I've reconnected the battery. One time it took two or three cycles of depressing the hazard light button to get things back in sync.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:41 AM

So sounds like you've eliminated the hazards out of sync with the control. Nex question is have you tried disconnecting the aftermarket radio?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
So sounds like you've eliminated the hazards out of sync with the control. Nex question is have you tried disconnecting the aftermarket radio?
I took the aftermarket one out and put the original one back in.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:55 AM

Looking at the wiring diagrams in the Bently manual the only connections outside the sound system are two power connections and one to the interior light system. For a '93 the Bentley shows a power connection that's switched by the ignition switch that runs through fuse 44 and a hot all the time power connection through fuse 9. The interior light connection is a grey and red wire that comes off pin 13 of the radio connector.
I would check both the fuses I listed first to ensure they're both good then check the interior light connection.
You stated you put the old radio back in, have you tried with no radio installed?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Looking at the wiring diagrams in the Bently manual the only connections outside the sound system are two power connections and one to the interior light system. For a '93 the Bentley shows a power connection that's switched by the ignition switch that runs through fuse 44 and a hot all the time power connection through fuse 9. The interior light connection is a grey and red wire that comes off pin 13 of the radio connector.
I would check both the fuses I listed first to ensure they're both good then check the interior light connection.
You stated you put the old radio back in, have you tried with no radio installed?
Sorry for the late reply, but I checked the fuses and they look ok. I took the radio out and it did nothing. But now sometimes it goes on and off. I've noticed that when I open the hood or bang on the underneath of the glove box it starts up again...
Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 PM

If the symptoms changed when you took the radio out, that's not an "it did nothing" result. Even though it didn't fix the problem when you do something and the symptoms change, it's a clue as to what might be happening.

Does your car have an aftermarket alarm system installed?

Last edited by dc_wright; 05-13-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:37 PM

I'm not sure, I just bought the car recently, but it does look like it has some sort of a horn under the hood,+ when I lock either of the tow fron doors, it locks all the doors on the car but I don't know if that is aftermarket or not...
Old 05-13-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
If the symptoms changed when you took the radio out, that's not an "it did nothing" result. Even though it didn't fix the problem when you do something and the symptoms change, it's a clue as to what might be happening.

Does your car have an aftermarket alarm system installed?
oh and sorry if I wasn't clear, that did not change after I took the radio out, it just started before I took it out.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:55 PM

The way to know for certain it's a factory alarm is to look at the alarm module behind the glove box. For now let's assume that it is the factory alarm. I found this on another forum where they were needing to reset their alarm system. You'll need to disconnect the battery first and then do this:

Try turning on the ignition switch before you connect the battery (leave it in the run position- same as you would while driving). Then connect the battery and it should be fine after about 3 seconds.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
The way to know for certain it's a factory alarm is to look at the alarm module behind the glove box. For now let's assume that it is the factory alarm. I found this on another forum where they were needing to reset their alarm system. You'll need to disconnect the battery first and then do this:

Try turning on the ignition switch before you connect the battery (leave it in the run position- same as you would while driving). Then connect the battery and it should be fine after about 3 seconds.
Sorry but it didn't seem to work. It is back to being on every time you open the door.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:35 PM
WayTooFastWhitey

Mein Auto: Dinan BMW M3 e36
Yes when you lock either door it will lock the other with out any alarm...
Old 05-13-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3e36 View Post
Yes when you lock either door it will lock the other with out any alarm...
Thanks for the info on that!
Still have no fix yet for this problem I looked around it might be the LCM but it's expansive to replace just to check and see if that's it...
Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 PM

still looking for anyone that knows what might be wrong...
Old 05-15-2012, 03:00 AM

There's supposed to be a reset button under an access door on the top of the security alarm module. Resetting the alarm is the next thing I can think of to try. I'm attaching a PDF from my remote locking system that has directions on how to remove the glove box and get access to the area where the alarm module is located.
I believe if needed you can just disconnect the alarm module and that effectively disables the alarm system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMWRSX6.pdf (657.8 KB, 351 views)
Old 05-15-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
There's supposed to be a reset button under an access door on the top of the security alarm module. Resetting the alarm is the next thing I can think of to try. I'm attaching a PDF from my remote locking system that has directions on how to remove the glove box and get access to the area where the alarm module is located.
I believe if needed you can just disconnect the alarm module and that effectively disables the alarm system.
opened up the glove box, and found a bunch of aftermarket wiring (looks professional), with an aftermarket alarm system. I looked up the brand and model number and found out that it's as old as the car! the system is a derringer 2 vs-8910. When I disconnected it, it stopped the hazard lights. So glad. Now I have the problem of what to do with the thing. It has a kill switch and I don't know if I take it out will it or not cause me to not be able to start my car. So should I take it out?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 PM

If it's disconnected now try starting the car. If it starts (and I think it will) you have your answer.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
If it's disconnected now try starting the car. If it starts (and I think it will) you have your answer.
yep all is well, going to put a kill switch in where those wires are . But for now it is all working, thanks for all the help!