Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 05-26-2012, 04:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Z4 28i
Do you have to use an I phone or Ipod?

I'm going to be ordering a Z4 in a couple of weeks for a European Delivery later this year. This will be my first BMW.

We are going to be getting the Nav system and the premium stereo system. I keep seeing references to controlling an Ipod or Iphone from the system, but what if you don't use either? I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 Android based smart phone and a Microsoft Zune. Will I be able to use these with this system to the same extent that someone with an Apple product would be able to?
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Google bmw bluetooth approved phones -- See if your phone is on the list.
(I'm in the UK and can't get the USA list to load. Your phone is on the UK list.)

UK list says if you have Navigation your phone will work for voice and SMS. The car will read the phone's address book, but not the address book on the SIM. Email, calendar, and tasks do not work.

If there is a snap in for your phone, then you can order the phone integration option and the snap in. The snap in will power the phone and connects to antennas built into the car. It works a little better but isn't needed.

For music there are several options.

Give in and buy an iPod nano, touch or classic. (iPod Shuffle won't work)
The car will play music from a USB memory device at sampling rates upto 256kbps. -- That might work for you.
If you have the nav system with a built in hard drive and a USB port in the glove box, you can upload music from a memory stick onto the car's hard drive.

There are several optional items for internet and phone integration. I don't know how much of that will work.

(We don't have iDrive or any of the extras on our car)
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 05-26-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:14 AM

Thanks

Thanks info Andrew. I couldn't get the US page listing the phones to open either. I just didn't want to buy stuff and then not be able to use it. I'm locked into a 2 year contract with my current phone with T-Mobile and they don't have the Iphone. We are really excited about getting the car and the trip with it.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:15 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Hi! If you have the communications package then you will be able to connect your phone via bluetooth, once paired it works a treat. My car has the adapter to use the phone directly into the car, but it needs a Blackberry 9900 connector and as yet BMW don't do one, but I doubt I will ever buy it as the bluetooth connection works really well, contacts lists etc.. And as soon as you switch on the car it connects very quickly....

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 AM
BMW Junkie

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 Deep Sea Blue
I just bought a 2009 Z4. My 3 years old PalmPre phone (not on any "supported" list) works fine with my BMW bluetooth in the Z4 and also worked fine in my prior 2006 330i.

The only thing I notice in the Z4 is that the volume of the call is softer than the volume of the radio. Not sure if there is volume adjustment setting that I need to change, or if this is inherent in the system, but it is no big deal.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosthwait View Post
I'm going to be ordering a Z4 in a couple of weeks for a European Delivery later this year. This will be my first BMW.

We are going to be getting the Nav system and the premium stereo system. I keep seeing references to controlling an Ipod or Iphone from the system, but what if you don't use either? I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 Android based smart phone and a Microsoft Zune. Will I be able to use these with this system to the same extent that someone with an Apple product would be able to?
go to www.bmwusa.com. click on "owners" on top of the page, select "bluetooth technology" from the menu and the "currently available phones" on the next page. If you use a non-compatible phone you may or may not have success getting all the features to work. For example, if I try to use my wife's non-compatible phone, the contact list won't come up.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it! Now just have to wait to order and then get the car on a Eurpoean Delivery. We are going to pick it up in December, hopefully the 12th.