Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
I have a late build 2011, Have not got a letter..I had it in today for the oil change, If my car is targeted and they did not let me know I'm going to be pissed.

They gave me a new 328I loaner..man what a disappointment of a car.no power and the inside looks so outdated compared to the exterior.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
Ok according to your vin, you have an open campaign for M57 US Replacing EGR valve. Specifically, your X5 is subject to recall 11E-A03.

Your X5 was manufactured on 6/2010 so it falls within the January 2010 to March 2011 timeframe in the recall. The stars are aligned.

Your X5 was also part of the "Replace Charge Air Temperature Sensor" service action (SI B13 04 11) which appears to have been done according to your receipt. This service action covered M57Y diesel engine which were produced from 1/22/2008 to 4/31/2011. If your X5 falls within this date and you are not sure if it was handled, just look at your b-pillar label for code number 600. if 600 is punched out, it's been taken care of. If not, or there is no label, then the dealer will have to look it up in their system.
Interesting info, My March 2011 build ,as far as I know has never had the charge air temp sensor replaced, it has been in for the 1st maintenance service and shortly after that for the egr cooler replacement, could the charge temp sensor have been replaced while it was on the dealer lot, I took delivery in December 2011, will check the B pillar for the above mentioned sticker and number.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
Some ou you guys need to up your meds a bit. So the big fear is your engine light may come on if you don't have these gizmos replaced at your next oil change. The ones freaking out really needs a Lexus (wife has a LS460). Come on man calm down and think, everyone has recalls and the jealous gasser in here who secretly wants a diesel is an idiot too just trying to get you worked up and you falling for it. Yep, I want to be around you when you get a flat just to sell tickets to the comedy show. Some of you crack me up, 35,000 mi stock tires and it AND IT HAS BEEN BULLETPROOF. For the love of god develop a backbone.
Couldn't have said it better myself .
Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
Ok according to your vin, you have an open campaign for M57 US Replacing EGR valve. Specifically, your X5 is subject to recall 11E-A03.

Your X5 was manufactured on 6/2010 so it falls within the January 2010 to March 2011 timeframe in the recall. The stars are aligned.

Your X5 was also part of the "Replace Charge Air Temperature Sensor" service action (SI B13 04 11) which appears to have been done according to your receipt. This service action covered M57Y diesel engine which were produced from 1/22/2008 to 4/31/2011. If your X5 falls within this date and you are not sure if it was handled, just look at your b-pillar label for code number 600. if 600 is punched out, it's been taken care of. If not, or there is no label, then the dealer will have to look it up in their system.
Thanks Jim, sure appreciate the response.

Looks like, at the very least, during the upcoming service visit (May 25th) they will replace the EGR valve. As mentioned previously, I wonder if there is a connection between faulty EGR valve and the exhaust cooler failing.

My charge air temp sensor was replaced twice - first time the CEL light came on, second time CEL did not come on - SA said BMW wanted them to install a different sensor even though the first appeared to be working fine. P/Ns 13-62-7-812-741 (first), 13-62-8-519-444 (second).

I looked at the B-pillar (see attached photo, driver side, no other labels anywhere else) and I could not find the label you are referring to. Just to be sure I read your post correct - code number 600 would be punched out if the charge-air temp sensor was replaced per BMW SB - correct? Can someone who has this sticker post a photo of this sticker? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I've lived much of this issue in my 2010..not all, but a lot. Charge temp sensors (twice) reprogramming, intercooler R&R, SCR Catalysis (2x) O2 sensors...

BMW was chasing the root cause for quite some time...problem was it was manifesting after time and driving conditions got it to a certain point- and then the DDE would 'trap' things it saw as 'errors'...all kinds of things could cause this. I do NOT think they were having emissions failures- but rather 'out of process control' readings that tripped errors. You don't get into this with a press release- you just say 'emissions could increase and the CEL could come on'.

However, I do think ALL this is related- EGR, SCR cats, O2 sensors, airflow, charge air temp, intake temp sensor, software, etc, etc...all of it around the whole control and balance (and testing/checking) that goes into the emissions control.

Recalls are very expensive, and BMW surely has spent $$$ to try and make this a global fix. But until we know WHAT they are replacing (ie someone snags the SB) we dont know. It could be architected such that if you have had the prior EGR campaign, you only need X and if not you need X+Y...

I think I said earlier, the BEST issue to have in a car- as a consumer- is one that affects emissions.... nothing like having big government on your side.

I would not be at all surprised if BMW has to expand the parts covered in their California and Federal Warranties. There are rules that dictate what must be listed, and if someone at CARB or EPA wants to dig (or gets an on-point analysis/inquiry from a consumer) who knows what might occur.

A
Thanks for that response . . . I agree with you, statements you made that caught my attention are shown in bold.

I do not have a CEL warning now. We drive this car quite a bit - 35,000+ miles in less than two years, about 60% city, with a lot of slow stop-and-go traffic. My point - the emissions gear on this car is definitely getting loaded (no easy hwy running). What we don't do that could load the emissions unit even more are - we don't tow and the weather in the Bay Area is mild.

My biggest concern now - with no CEL now, I hate to see the tech follow the BMW SB and cause something else to quit working! i.e. don't fix what is not broken! But I like to be an optimist - hopefully SB essentially installs on 2011MY what is already there on 2012MY.

If I truly had a bad EGR valve, won't that generate some error codes? Second, will a bad EGR for nearly 35K+ miles damage/shorten the life of the SCR? i.e. SCR will conk off after 8 or more years and I end up holding the bag. It would be nice if they replaced the SCR this time.

Finally I wonder how VW and Mercedes Benz are faring . . . are they having similar difficulties with their 50-state compliant emissions equipment? Not trying to stir up trouble here - I am more than happy for them to have the "ultimate emissions machine" . . . I am thrilled to stick with my ultimate driving machine!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
I received the letter too.

Anybody else wondering if everyone of the BMW techs around the country are up to the task of replacing all that the recall is asking for?

I think I'll wait a bit and let somebody else be the guinea pig at my local BMW dealer...
Old 05-19-2012, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: x5 35d
FYI:
On 5-18 I had half of the 11E-A03 Recall Notice installed (campaign #544-W94S) - replaced 16-19-7-244-138-"SCR Reservoir Active Tank" :16999. 2 1/2 hours labor.

The other part of the recall - EGR Valve Replacement - part on order. I was told that this part is " a national back order part" and the new EGR Valve is intergrated into the engine manifold so the existing manafold has to be removed and discarded.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltkjr View Post
FYI:
On 5-18 I had half of the 11E-A03 Recall Notice installed (campaign #544-W94S) - replaced 16-19-7-244-138-"SCR Reservoir Active Tank" :16999. 2 1/2 hours labor.

The other part of the recall - EGR Valve Replacement - part on order. I was told that this part is " a national back order part" and the new EGR Valve is intergrated into the engine manifold so the existing manafold has to be removed and discarded.
Thanks for all the specific information.

To make a better comparison to your situation, can you share your X5d's build month/year and if possible the production time-frame of your engine. Mine is a 2011MY, June 2010 build with a M57Y engine (production window between 1/22/2008 and 4/31/2011).

The Recall Notice 11E-A03 (copy attached) shows four pieces: SCR Catalyst, EGR Valve and/or DEF Mixer and ECU Software Flash. In your case did they determine it was not necessary to replace the DEF Mixer? Recall Notice does say they will do the software flash ". . . and will reprogram your vehicle's engine control unit." I suppose this will happen after they finish replacing your EGR Valve/exhaust manifold assembly.

When they replaced your "SCR Reservoir Active Tank", you also got a fresh load of catalyst - correct? I read somewhere the catalyst alone cost $2,800!

Just wondering - did this EGR Valve/exhaust manifold combo start with the 2012MY X5s?

Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW X5 Emissions Recall.pdf (356.4 KB, 141 views)
Old 05-19-2012, 03:53 PM

2009 X5 35d June production.

FWIW
BMW X5 35d Selective Catalytic Reaction (SCR) System uses two tanks to hold the AdBlue/Urea. The Active Tank heats the Urea (1.6gal) when required and is located in the front right section of the engine compartmant while the Passive Tank (4.5gal) is under the floor next to the Xmission with the fill nossle located in the front left section of the engine compartment.

Consistent distribution of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) (AdBlue/Urea) within the flow of the exhaust is ensured by the SCR/DEF Mixer.

BMW did top off the Active Tank with Urea when the Active Tank was replaced.

Read my first post (first post to this thread) for more info.

My SCR Catalyst was replaced last month when I had a major SCR System problem. Was told cost of the SCR Cat was over $2500 + labor.

I was also told that I will not get the SCR Catalyst replaced under this recall. I do not know if I will get the SCR/DEF Mixer replaced.

Hopes this helps.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:19 PM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Just got back from the dealer for tires, service and the recall. Everything complete except for the recall. They have to order the part as someone else previously posted. I will be going back next Saturday. I will post the summary when completed.
2011 X5 35d Alpine white/black leather, bamboo, Prem, Prem Sound, Cold, Tech, Sport, Adaptive drive, 20" 214's, CA, spare, active seat package, multi-contour seats, rear climate, roof rails, side-view cam, heated rear seats, auto high beams.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
"Total Recall" explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
The Recall Notice 11E-A03 (copy attached) shows four pieces: SCR Catalyst, EGR Valve and/or DEF Mixer and ECU Software Flash. In your case did they determine it was not necessary to replace the DEF Mixer? Recall Notice does say they will do the software flash ". . . and will reprogram your vehicle's engine control unit." I suppose this will happen after they finish replacing your EGR Valve/exhaust manifold assembly.

When they replaced your "SCR Reservoir Active Tank", you also got a fresh load of catalyst - correct? I read somewhere the catalyst alone cost $2,800!

Just wondering - did this EGR Valve/exhaust manifold combo start with the 2012MY X5s?

Thanks again.
Ok, now that I've had some time to really look into this, I believe I can shed some light on all this recall confusion. Why? I have two diesels (E90 and X5) and a friend also has an E90 diesel all of which cover this recall. In reality, it is actually THREE different recalls that each depend on engine production dates.

All three recall notices deal with the same exact subject: "Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign 11E-A03: Check and/or Replace Emissions Monitoring Components"

In chronological order:

#1. SIB 18 02 12 covers - E70 and E90 with the M57Y engine produced from January 2008 to September 2009.

#2. SIB 18 03 12 covers - E70 and E90 with the M57Y engine produced from April 2009 to March 2010.

#3. SIB 11 04 12 covers - E70 and E90 with the M57Y engine produced from January 2010 to March 2011.

Recall #1 above requires the dealer to check the SCR part number. If the part number is NOT 18308509753 (E70) or 18308509750 (E90), the SCR catalyst will need to be replaced.

The next part of recall #1 deals with the "mixer." If your mixer has a "multiple fin" arrangement, then it will need to be replaced with P/N 18308513445 (E70) or P/N 18308512438 (E90) which are single fins. Single fins basically look like a jet turbine fins at the intake. Each fin is a solid single straight fin.

The last part of recall #1 is to inspect the EGR and replace it if it's the old style with (P/N 11 71 8 517 217 or P/N 11 71 8 512 526)

Recall #2 only deals with the mixer and EGR. This means that at some point in production, they started to install the new SCR part.

Recall #3 only deals with the EGR which means that at some point in production, they also started to use the new style mixer and only need to address the EGR.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:16 PM

Good "stuff"!! Thanks
Old 05-20-2012, 12:25 PM

A BIG thank you to both Jim E. and ltkjr for your respective posts. Great information, looks like my X5 will only need the EGR Valve/exhaust manifold combo + ECU software refresh.

Always good to know things ahead of the service visit, otherwise you have to believe the SA until he/she is proven wrong!

After my service is completed, I will post my service report.

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:01 PM

My recall was done today, they actually had the EGR valve in stock, they also recalibrated the
steering angle sensor also along with the other required programming , some posts have mentioned an intake integrated with the EGR valve, I only see the updated valve installed . The part number of the replacement valve: 11-71-8-512-526

Last edited by ductman; 05-22-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
My recall was done today, they actually had the EGR valve in stock, they also re-calibrated the
steering angle sensor also along with the other required programming , some posts have mentioned an intake integrated with the EGR valve, I only see the updated valve installed . The part number of the replacement valve: 11-71-8-512-526
Per Jim E.'s post, you got the right EGR. I believe this is the combo unit - EGR is part of the exhaust manifold.

After the EGR replacement, does anything feel different?

The steering angle sensor recalibration was not related to this recall campaign - correct? i.e. you had a separate issue. What was the issue?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:46 PM

[QUOTE=RPsX5d;6850650]Per Jim E.'s post, you got the right EGR. I believe this is the combo unit - EGR is part of the exhaust manifold.

The steering angle sensor recalibration was not related to this recall campaign - correct? i.e. you had a separate issue. What was the issue?[/QUOTE]

No other issue, I did question it though, I was informed that it is required due to the software reset or else
there would be a DSC malfunction warning, vehicle feels slightly more responsive but the idle seems slightly
louder.When I get near a computer I will post my work order.

Last edited by ductman; 05-22-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltkjr View Post
Thank you very much for bringing this recall to the attention of this forum.

Recall applies to my vehicle as well, even though BMWNA (ie. Canada) and BMWUSA are not always on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
Some ou you guys need to up your meds a bit. So the big fear is your engine light may come on if you don't have these gizmos replaced at your next oil change. The ones freaking out really needs a Lexus (wife has a LS460). Come on man calm down and think, everyone has recalls and the jealous gasser in here who secretly wants a diesel is an idiot too just trying to get you worked up and you falling for it. Yep, I want to be around you when you get a flat just to sell tickets to the comedy show. Some of you crack me up, 35,000 mi stock tires and it AND IT HAS BEEN BULLETPROOF. For the love of god develop a backbone.
Goody for you.

There are a lot of vehicles that have been nowhere close to bulletproof, mine included. This clearly is an issue that has existed for an extended period of time that BMW is just now, finally, addressing.

Sadly, this seems to be modus operandi for BMW corporate (ie. fuel pump issue...lol).

Quote:
Another big thank you for attaching your recall letter.

Showed it to my dealer as I still haven't received a notification.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d & 535iX order
My 12/2010 MY 2011 35d was processed

Same story as ductman. Got letter. Got appointment. Got the following work completed.

I did have to reprogram 8 of my 10 custom features as they reset most of the ECU modules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
My recall was done today, they actually had the EGR valve in stock, they also recalibrated the
Old 05-22-2012, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster, 2010 M5
Took my car in for the recall on Friday. Picked it up today,Tuesday. Apparently dealer had trouble with the reprogramming due to a power failure at the dealership on Monday. Anyway, they replaced the EGR valve,the mixer and reprogrammed the ECU. My service advisor was great during the entire process and kept me informed along the way and of course they gave me a loaner. While it was in they also replaced the back brake pads and rotors under warranty. Car has 43k on the clock. Took out and extended 7 yr 100K extended warranty and I will see how it goes from here. I asked my advisor if this will be necessary to do again in another 40k miles. He said he did not know, but hoped not. If all goes well I should have another 40k to 50k trouble free miles. Will evaluate as I go.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Per Jim E.'s post, you got the right EGR. I believe this is the combo unit - EGR is part of the exhaust manifold.

The steering angle sensor recalibration was not related to this recall campaign - correct? i.e. you had a separate issue. What was the issue?
As promised here is a copy of my work order noting the steering angle calibration being done
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW DIESEL RECALL.pdf (72.7 KB, 188 views)
Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I had a 2010 that I lemoned for PRECISELY the reasons they are doing this recall. I - and my tech with whom I spoke today- are convinced it is one of the data points that they used for this recall design. So I know there are issues with the cars.

Actually quite like Mroaadster2000 describes... but I got mine lemoned, didn't whine or wring my hands and wish BMW gave me better service. Just made them do it, nothing personal, no anger- done. New 2012 here.

This is NOT an issue in 2012s. It was addressed. there may be other issues with the 2012, but not this.

People that are not technical, nor particularly linear thinkers, crack me up. A single recall notice and they've decided the car is no longer a keeper? Great. Have a good life. Given the 8 year 80k warranty on this aspect of a car, it is the last thing that worries me. it is an emissions fault- this will NOT slip by... Other things worry me long term- but NOT a recall notice and not emissions.

This whole gas versus diesel thing is absolutely juvenile. There is a twit here that stirred it up for no good reason..don't be drawn into it, there is no end, just stupidity.

You buy a diesel or gas because you like it- NOT because one has higher reliability, or better gas mileage. It is a personal decision with no right answer...christ, you guys should argue blonds versus brunettes

A

PS 32k miles on my 'lemon' 2010...and I was NEVER stranded. Started and drove without fail. Middle of New Mexico and the CEL comes on and you tow it 300 miles? Why? Annoying? Yes. Stranded? No.
Excellent post.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip4 View Post
Here is my official Recall notice. I thought this vehicle was going to be a long term keeper -sigh.
Way to jump ship at the first sign of any trouble, Chip! Virtually all vehicles, including those "bulletproof" Japanese makes, have had recalls. At least BMW is a) admitting it and b)fixing it BEFORE it becomes an epidemic. Enjoy your whatever-you-get.

P.S. I recieved the recall notice today, and will be calling my dealer tomorrow to setup an appointment. That's it. Simple. My dealer treats me well with the best customer service, in fact, of any of the 20 vehicles I've owned since 2000. I've kept my 2011 335d for a trouble-free year, and plan on many, many more enjoyable years with it.

1995 318iC 5 spd, manual top

Last edited by Deezl; 05-23-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRoaadster2000 View Post
I guess I would rather Drive a couch than Sit alongside the road I my over engineered BMW that doesn't run. What else could I expect from a devoted Bimmerfest X5 forum member?
Ever hear of the honda/acura transmission problems? Like guns and roses said, every rose has its thorn!

1995 318iC 5 spd, manual top

Old 05-23-2012, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl View Post
Like guns and roses said, every rose has its thorn!

Ha! Had to call you out on it
Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl View Post
Way to jump ship at the first sign of any trouble, Chip! Virtually all vehicles, including those "bulletproof" Japanese makes, have had recalls. At least BMW is a) admitting it and b)fixing it BEFORE it becomes an epidemic. Enjoy your whatever-you-get.

P.S. I recieved the recall notice today, and will be calling my dealer tomorrow to setup an appointment. That's it. Simple. My dealer treats me well with the best customer service, in fact, of any of the 20 vehicles I've owned since 2000. I've kept my 2011 335d for a trouble-free year, and plan on many, many more enjoyable years with it.
What a load of horse shttt.

These emissions issues have been known for a couple years already amongst actual owners. BMW is only now finally admitting it because it is more widespread than they wanted to acknowledge.

Before it becomes an epidemic? LOL! Just like the fuel pump issue that they continue to try to brush aside?

Take off the BMW colored glasses and have a look at reality.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 05-24-2012, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster, 2010 M5
Boy this conversation is getting old. All automotive manufacturers have failures of parts and systems on their automobiles. I think we can all agree on that. I think what separates the good from the bad is how they handle it. Are they up front, acknowledge the problem and committed to protecting their customers from the issue? My key beef with BMW on this issue with the X35D is that it dragged on for more than two years and their was little information available. They just kept fixing the little stuff and having you bring your car in, at the dealers convenience, while they were scrambling to figure it out.

I plan to keep my X5 35 D for another four years, if I do not have further problems. If I do it will by bye bye BMW. This will be because of the way they handled this mess and also because they forgot one basic thing. That is, this is an automobile, for me it means that it will reliably get me where I want to go and I can rely on it. There are a lot of automobiles out there that are far cheaper than the BMW X5 that can deliver reliable service. I know all you BMW hotheads will jump all over this and say that x and y are crap etc and don't drive like a BMW and I can agree with some of it. However, that still leaves my criteria of reliability as basic to any car I drive. In my mind this is complicated by the fact that you cannot find a BMW dealer in some parts of the country if you are traveling. Not to mention can they get the parts without waiting for a week.

This X5 is a great driving car and is a great road car for trips. I love that part of it. However, I cannot tolerate lots of nitty reliability issues that will cause me to question whether this car will leave me stranded.

Just my humble opinion.