Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl View Post
Way to jump ship at the first sign of any trouble, Chip! Virtually all vehicles, including those "bulletproof" Japanese makes, have had recalls. At least BMW is a) admitting it and b)fixing it BEFORE it becomes an epidemic. Enjoy your whatever-you-get.

P.S. I recieved the recall notice today, and will be calling my dealer tomorrow to setup an appointment. That's it. Simple. My dealer treats me well with the best customer service, in fact, of any of the 20 vehicles I've owned since 2000. I've kept my 2011 335d for a trouble-free year, and plan on many, many more enjoyable years with it.
Jump Ship? Tell me again how many cars you have gone through. You're quick to judge for someone's first post on the E70 forum –get your facts straight because I never mentioned brand X was bulletproof. Unlike your trouble free and simple vehicle ownership -I have had more than my share of my ongoing issues with this vehicle, that is why I am here to share my experience, opinions and get more information about these issues. I still have my vehicle –so you can calm down.

Last edited by chip4; 05-24-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Thank you very much for bringing this recall to the attention of this forum.

Recall applies to my vehicle as well, even though BMWNA (ie. Canada) and BMWUSA are not always on the same page.

Goody for you.

There are a lot of vehicles that have been nowhere close to bulletproof, mine included. This clearly is an issue that has existed for an extended period of time that BMW is just now, finally, addressing.

Sadly, this seems to be modus operandi for BMW corporate (ie. fuel pump issue...lol).

Another big thank you for attaching your recall letter.

Showed it to my dealer as I still haven't received a notification.
Hey, i'm in Alberta (Calgary to be exact) as well. You mentioned that the recall was covered? Did they cover after you brought in this letter?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
My X5 is in the dealer today getting the recall done. Dropped the car off at 8am and have not heard a word from them. Will call them within the hour to find out what the status is.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Was informed my X5 won't be done until tomorrow so suggest everyone better plan on two days to get the recall done.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by molloy View Post
Hey, i'm in Alberta (Calgary to be exact) as well. You mentioned that the recall was covered? Did they cover after you brought in this letter?
Haven't had the work completed yet, but did take the letter in to Calgary BMW on Tuesday. They looked up my VIN and confirmed that the recall applied and just to mention the "emissions recall" when I wanted to bring it in and they would look after it.

The service that we have received at our dealership has been nothing short of outstanding and this will be no exception.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 05-25-2012, 06:34 PM

Got my X5 back today after all the work was completed. There was a software update failure on the first attempt. I can't say it runs any better or worse. I'm just happy to have it done. Turns out I got the last of the in stock parts to do the recall that my dealer had on hand. A little luck never hurts.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:01 AM

Mein Auto: '10 X5 diesel
I'll be getting mine back tomorrow, after 3 days in the shop. Needed to order the parts, apparently. Could have told me they didn't have them before I dropped it off. Oh, well. But, the morning I was bringing it in, a light came on saying "high battery drain." So now they say I need a new battery, a neg. cable, and something else - don't have it written in front of me. They want $1500 for that, including $87 for a new split cable for my iphone! I said I'd be picking up my car. No thanks! Then he said he could at least give me 10% off of that. Otherwise, he's waiting to hear from corp. if he can offer less. I have 53,000 mi. on the car. Other than this that's happening now, it's been a great car! I have really loved it. I've had it 2.5 years now, and by this time, I'm usually looking to try something different. I was just saying how I don't feel that need for something different with this car. I still really look forward to driving it. But then I got the loaner, a 3 series. It's getting me thinking. It sure is fun! One big drawback for me with the X5 is the tiny lag I get at takeoff. Very minor, but noticeable, and can be dangerous at times, imo.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Haven't had the work completed yet, but did take the letter in to Calgary BMW on Tuesday. They looked up my VIN and confirmed that the recall applied and just to mention the "emissions recall" when I wanted to bring it in and they would look after it.

The service that we have received at our dealership has been nothing short of outstanding and this will be no exception.
I contacted the service adviser from Gallery and they will have the parts ready for the recall, I have no experience with either dealership. Do you have any experience with Gallery? I'm getting mine in June, hopefully this solves the diesel smell in the cabin!

Should we be receiving these recall letters soon? Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Drove mine about 180 miles yesterday and can say the performance is just like it was before the recall work. I really didn't expect it to be different but sometimes you never know.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: X-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
Ok, now that I've had some time to really look into this, I believe I can shed some light on all this recall confusion. Why? I have two diesels (E90 and X5) and a friend also has an E90 diesel all of which cover this recall. In reality, it is actually THREE different recalls that each depend on engine production dates.

All three recall notices deal with the same exact subject: "Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign 11E-A03: Check and/or Replace Emissions Monitoring Components"

In chronological order:

#1. SIB 18 02 12 covers - E70 and E90 with the M57Y engine produced from January 2008 to September 2009.

#2. SIB 18 03 12 covers - E70 and E90 with the M57Y engine produced from April 2009 to March 2010.

#3. SIB 11 04 12 covers - E70 and E90 with the M57Y engine produced from January 2010 to March 2011.

Recall #1 above requires the dealer to check the SCR part number. If the part number is NOT 18308509753 (E70) or 18308509750 (E90), the SCR catalyst will need to be replaced.

The next part of recall #1 deals with the "mixer." If your mixer has a "multiple fin" arrangement, then it will need to be replaced with P/N 18308513445 (E70) or P/N 18308512438 (E90) which are single fins. Single fins basically look like a jet turbine fins at the intake. Each fin is a solid single straight fin.

The last part of recall #1 is to inspect the EGR and replace it if it's the old style with (P/N 11 71 8 517 217 or P/N 11 71 8 512 526)

Recall #2 only deals with the mixer and EGR. This means that at some point in production, they started to install the new SCR part.

Recall #3 only deals with the EGR which means that at some point in production, they also started to use the new style mixer and only need to address the EGR.

Hope this helps.
Why does option 2 and 3 have overlapping dates?
Old 05-27-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I contacted the service adviser from Gallery and they will have the parts ready for the recall, I have no experience with either dealership. Do you have any experience with Gallery? I'm getting mine in June, hopefully this solves the diesel smell in the cabin!

No experience with Gallery, but they are both owned by the same group. The service I have received at Calgary BMW has been nothing short of outstanding...consistently. They are hands down the best dealership we have ever dealt with (and we have many dealings with the Lexus...who is very good...and MB...terrible...right next door).

BMWNA always seems to take longer to send the recalls but I would think now that it's out we should be seeming them sometime soon.

'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 05-29-2012, 04:59 PM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Got mine back today. No problems so far!
2011 X5 35d Alpine white/black leather, bamboo, Prem, Prem Sound, Cold, Tech, Sport, Adaptive drive, 20" 214's, CA, spare, active seat package, multi-contour seats, rear climate, roof rails, side-view cam, heated rear seats, auto high beams.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Got mine back today. For my 2011MY (June 2010 build), only the EGR valve and ECU software flash was necessary. Job took two days - reprogramming was the delay.

I read elsewhere, each time the Dealer has to reprogram, the car is literally connected to a server at BMW (not at the dealer) and that is a very time consuming process.

My mileage has been dropping over the past few months/5,000+ miles - from an indicated average of ~23.8 mpg to about 20.5 mpg. Tech confirmed a faulty EGR valve "could" cause a mpg drop. There were no CELs either before or after this repair visit.

I will post on the mpg outcome in a month or so.

The indicated 23.8 mpg figure was remarkably constant over 25,000 miles - plus/minus a tenth of a mile! Yes I did cross-check the indicated mpg against a manually computed figure - again a delta of only plus/minus 1/10th of a mpg over three tanks of diesel!

My X5 has the Option 214 wheels and the 3rd row seats - info for those wanting to compare mpg. 60/40 city/hwy . . . hwy usually around 75-80 mph.

Attaching relevant section of my service order - shows the parts replaced, etc.

PS: Software flash did not not erase seat memory, programmable buttons, mobile phone's bluetooth connection, etc. Only setting it changed was the driver and passenger side "Adapting Ventilation Temperature" control, see attached. AC felt MUCH warmer for the same temperature setting, since this has happened to me in the past, I knew exactly which control to adjust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW X5 - Emissions Recall 11E-A03 Work Order.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	327168   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW X5 - Adapting Ventilation Temperature.PNG
Views:	86
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	327169  
Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: E46M3 & X5D
Just spoke with service department at the BMW Gallery Norwell, MA
Our X5 has two recalls that need to be done
1st recall - the ERG valve replacement, CAT check and some re-programing
2nd recall - some kind of temperature sensor has to be replaced I did not remember the exact name
He said they have the ERG valve in stock but after they check the CAT, if it needs to be replaced they have to order it from Germany

I was debating with him if I should wait till August, when the car is due for an oil change and inspection I and do it all at the same time, or do the recalls now and then come back August for the rest. On my notice that the car has been perfect since we purchased it (now at 13.5k miles) and we did not have a single glitch and service lights, he said that the purpose of the recalls is to fix the issues before any problems arise. That statement convinced me to do the recalls now and not wait

So I am dropping the car off next week. they will give us a 3-series loaner
I'll keep you posted
1996 318ti E36 Hatchback 4-cyl 5SP Manual (SOLD)
Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by tol4o View Post
Just spoke with service department at the BMW Gallery Norwell, MA
Our X5 has two recalls that need to be done
2nd recall - some kind of temperature sensor has to be replaced I did not remember the exact name
He said they have the ERG valve in stock but after they check the CAT, if it needs to be replaced they have to order it from Germany

I was debating with him if I should wait till August, when the car is due for an oil change and inspection I and do it all at the same time, or do the recalls now and then come back August for the rest. On my notice that the car has been perfect since we purchased it (now at 13.5k miles) and we did not have a single glitch and service lights, he said that the purpose of the recalls is to fix the issues before any problems arise. That statement convinced me to do the recalls now and not wait

So I am dropping the car off next week. they will give us a 3-series loaner
I'll keep you posted
Replacing the charge air temperature sensor is not a recall. Just a service action.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: E46M3 & X5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
Replacing the charge air temperature sensor is not a recall. Just a service action.

What is the purpose of this sensor and why they replace it?
1996 318ti E36 Hatchback 4-cyl 5SP Manual (SOLD)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
. . . Our X5 has two recalls that need to be done
He said they have the ERG valve in stock but after they check the CAT, if it needs to be replaced they have to order it from Germany . . .

I was debating with him if I should wait till August, . . .
Yes there is a recall (discussed on this thread) and a separate service action to replace the charge air temperature sensor. Mine was replaced twice - first at 15K miles when it actually failed and second at ~31K miles under the charge air temperature sensor service action. Relevant portion of the work order for this service action is attached.

IMO get them both done at the earliest convenient time. In my specific case, as indicated in my previous post - my mpg was dropping. Over the next month or so I will confirm if EGR was the cause. (fyi . . . if you press and *hold* the button that toggles the display across fuel range, avg. speed and mpg, the mpg display (same for avg. speed) will zero out.)

Quote:
What is the purpose of this sensor and why they replace it?
Purpose - here is a brief explanation.

Why replace - under this service action they are replacing it with a different part number - I suppose a new and improved version . . . BMW's equivalent for Microsoft Windows' service pack 1, 2, 3 . . . etc etc!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW X5 - Charge Air Temp Sensor.PNG
Views:	53
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	327228  
Old 06-01-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Official recall letter arrived yesterday.

'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 06-05-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Official recall letter arrived yesterday.
Haven't received mine yet, but will be putting it in tomorrow to do the recall and check on the diesel smell in the cabin. The service adviser had emailed the emission recall letter, only states replacing the valve. Read a few comments on replacing a lot more. How about you?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Reduced gas mileage

This is my first post so I hope I'm doing it right. I have a 2009 X5 35d and received the recall letter, brought it to the dealer last Thursday in Denver and received the new EGR valve and the second recall which I was told was for venting. I also did an oil change and engine air filter. Anyway, ever since the service my gas mileage is struggling to average at 22mpg. In the city it's more like 19 to 20mpg. Prior to the recall/service I averaged around 25mpg combined and over 27 on the highway. Anyway, it appears I'm getting at least 4mpg less than what I have averaged for the last two years. As a side note, my EGR valve went bad about a year ago and the check engine light went on. Prior to it going bad, my gas mileage dropped the same as it is now. When the valve was replaced, the mileage went back up again. Anyone experiencing a lower mpg with the new recalled parts/service repair ?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 xDrive35d
I'm actually experiencing the opposite effect. After getting the recall done, I've gone from 21.9 MPG to 23.5MPG. I haven't done a true statistical log everytime I fill the tank, but this is just from the MPG reading when needed to fill the tank. I can't say that it feels like I'm getting more actualy MPG's, since I only have to fill up my tank every 3 weeks or so.

For the EGR valve recall, it was a horror story. Dropped it off on a Thursday, service rep said it would be at least 3 hours. I waited for 2.5 hours and then they said they would need it overnight so they gave me a loaner. On Friday they said it would be ready Saturday. I call Saturday and they say it will be ready by 1PM, computer says 45 minutes left on reprogramming. Perfect...takes me 30 minutes to get to the dealer. I get there around 12:30PM and wait for the car. I don't get the car until 3PM.

Long story short, after I get it back from the EGR recall, I bring the X5 back in 2 more times because the engine light and DSC came on. 2 more fixes, they replaced the primary urea resevoir, and the DSC controller.

Finally got it back about 2 weeks after I initially took it in for the recall and it's running fine.

If I had gotten one more error, I was prepared to lemon it and start the process to have BMW buy it back.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:19 PM

Looks like most EGR valve replacement results in mpg drop . . . can anyone "in the know" confirm new software settings will/can cause this drop?

Hsindogg - re-installing the software is usually a mess . . . as I understand it, the new software physically resides on a BMW server, not locally at the dealer . . . Tech works on a different car while the software gets updated on yours . . . if the update fails, he has to start over . . . Most likely this is what happened to you. IMO never wait at the dealer if it involves software re-flash.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
After the recall was done on my father's 2010 diesel, fuel consumption increased about 10% overall. There is a difference in the throttle response which may be contributing to the higher consumption figures, as it appears (based on the Energy Control gauge) that the throttle is more aggressively calibrated.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
I have tortured myself for the last few weeks driving at a "less spirited" pace. I can't get my mpg over 23 mpg. Even on the highway I struggle to get to 24-25 (used to have 28). It's a big change when your used to several more miles per gallon before the EGR replacement. Any suggestions on what I can do? I love the drive of the X5 35d, and changed from an older X5 so I could realize the better fuel economy; but, this EGR replacement and the resulting lower fuel economy is bumming me out.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
Looks like most EGR valve replacement results in mpg drop . . . can anyone "in the know" confirm new software settings will/can cause this drop?

Hsindogg - re-installing the software is usually a mess . . . as I understand it, the new software physically resides on a BMW server, not locally at the dealer . . . Tech works on a different car while the software gets updated on yours . . . if the update fails, he has to start over . . . Most likely this is what happened to you. IMO never wait at the dealer if it involves software re-flash.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones, EGR valve replaced, no change in gas mileage whatsoever, averaging 22 , 70% HWY , came back from South Carolina, 27 MPG, average speed 80 MPH