Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0
Exclamation Need suggestions on repair

I am receiving the following errors on my 2004 BMW X3 3.0.
P0171, P0174, P0305, and P0313.

I have reset the codes and they return the same errors. We have checked the intake areas for leaks by spraying with carburetor cleaner and no leaks detected. We have removed the oil cap and checked for suction. None noted. We have replaced the spark plugs.

The symptoms are the car idles roughly. When accelerating, the car doesn't seem to accelerate, or stays in same gear, or kinda pulls back almost jerkedly, like driving over a washboard. When you depress accelerator to overcome this, it seems to pull out of it.

Can someone suggest what to try next?
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2012, 06:23 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Have you checked the cyclone separator also known as a CCV? It is the device under the intake that takes the oil and fumes recycles the oil back through the dip stick and fumes into the engine to be burned. If this is plugged it will cause a lot of issues.
Check you intake, pull the throttle body and look inside with a flash light to see if oil is laying in the bottom.
Best suggest I can provide at the moment...
Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesnflt View Post
We have removed the oil cap and checked for suction. None noted.
There's some conflicting opinions out there as to what should be observed when removing the oil filler cap with the engine idling.

This explanation from a 3 series forum makes sense to me:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...88&postcount=7

As you have ruled out an obvious vacuum leak, other than looking for a less obvious one, it does sound as though you might have to go down the oil separator road.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
I would pull out the DISA valve and check that. That threw a code on my x3. Check if the flap is broken and, if it moves freely, it needs replacing.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
It's always a good thing to post the car's mileage, gives a better idea on what else could be going on.

I would assume, by the year that has over 100,000 miles. Have you replaced the fuel filter? A clogged filter will cause some hesitation, but I would rule out fuel pump first. (You'll need some equipment to test this) But it sounds to me, looking at the codes and your description, like a fuel starvation issue.

As said above CCV will cause a lot of strange behavior on these cars, but I'd rule out fuel issues first.

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 05-21-2012 at 07:40 AM.