Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 05-31-2004, 04:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E30, M3, 540i
Peru Cendiv Event (5/29-30)

Can someone please tell me why I am trying to compete in B Stock with a 330i ZHP?!?! I must be out of my freakin’ mind!! I would have taken the win in D Stock, but got killed in B Stock this weekend.

I attended my first Cendiv event this weekend in Peru, IN. After winning three Test & Tune events and three local points events this year, I wanted to compete in a few divisional events to see if I could find some stiffer competition. Well, I found it!! I didn’t go into this race thinking that I would win, but having the local wins come so easy, I figured I’d at least be competitive. Well, I wasn’t!! I got beat Saturday by a full second and saw my win streak come to an abrupt end.

Saturday night, after the disappointment and shock wore off (which I must admit, took a while), I thought back on the whole day and really tried to figure out what I did wrong, where I could improve and see if I can learn something from this experience. I thought back and remembered a conversation I had with Jack Burns (took 1st place in DS in a 330i). He told me that racing at the divisional level will force you to drive at 10/10ths. I also remembered a separate conversation that I had with Mike Mitchell (took 2nd place in DS in a 330Ci). Mike told me, “you know you’re driving at 10/10ths when you’re scared ****less for the entire duration of your run”.

Thinking back on the day and those two conversations I had, I had come to the conclusion that I haven’t been driving at 10/10ths. I had been winning locally driving at only 8/10ths. I guess, since I wasn’t being pushed locally, I didn’t really know what 10/10ths was like… that is until my last run on Saturday. We got a total of 4 runs on Saturday. The first three runs, I was getting beat by at least 2 seconds. I couldn’t figure out what in the world was going on. This was my first time on concrete, which I knew would take a little time to get use to, but by 3 runs, you’d think I’d have it figured out. I had decided that for my last run, I pretty much have nothing to lose… I was going to push it as hard as I could to see if I could keep up with these guys. So I did just that, my last run was flat out… I was keeping my foot to the floor in sections that I thought for sure I would spin, but some how I managed to keep it between the cones. I ended up with a great time for my last run, shaving off a complete second!! But, I was still a full second behind the leader. After that last run, I couldn’t believe at how far I pushed myself on that course. I had mixed feelings at the time, because on one hand I was amazed that I drove the course that fast, but on the other hand disappointed that I was still a full second behind 1st place.

That night I thought back to what Mike Mitchell told me… “you know you’re driving at 10/10ths when you’re scared ****less for the entire duration of your run”. Yup, that was pretty much the definition of my last run. That’s the point I realized that, that was the closest I have ever been to truly driving at 10/10ths. I knew that for Sunday I had to do the same thing, but for every single run. I knew I wouldn’t make up a full second from the previous day, but my goal for Sunday was to shorten that gap as much as possible.

On Sunday we only got three runs. I can’t remember exactly what the times were, but I think I ended up only 3 or 4 /10ths off the leader’s time. Needless to say I met my goal by shortening the gap between me and 1st place, so that felt good. I still ended up in last place overall due to Saturday’s poor performance, but I’m walking away from this event learning what it’s like to compete against some really good drivers and finally learning what it’s like to really be pushed. The funny thing is, I was telling Mike Mitchell Sunday evening about what I had learned from this weekend. He kind’a laughed a little and said, “Well, just so you know… be ready for those National Tour events, because those guys run at 11/10ths”. Hmmm, that’s just lovely. I’m just now getting a taste of what 10/10ths is like… I can’t wait to see what 11/10ths is!!

I still can’t help but wonder how I’d do in B Stock if I were driving an S2000 or a Boxster. Heck, knowing I’d be competitive in D Stock is bad enough. But for now I think I’ll just keep plugging away with my ZHP in B Stock and see if I can’t improve as the season goes on. I really think my driving will improve if I continue to race these divisional events. I hate to lose, and that is the motivation that will push me to do better. Well, I guess the good thing is, that there’s no where else to go from here, but up.

Overall, I had a great time this weekend and learned what it's really like to be pushed... and I mean pushed hard!!

Results should get posted here… eventually.
http://www.solo2.cendiv-scca.org/2004/2004.htm

Last edited by Andy; 05-31-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-31-2004, 05:24 PM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
This was my first time on concrete, which I knew would take a little time to get use to, but by 3 runs, you’d think I’d have it figured out.

“Well, just so you know… be ready for those National Tour events, because those guys run at 11/10ths”. Hmmm, that’s just lovely. I’m just now getting a taste of what 10/10ths is like… I can’t wait to see what 11/10ths is!!
Pardon me, but

Andy, you still aren't placing enough importance on experience. This was your first "big" event and there's no mention of whether that screwed with you mentally (not mention whether you would even recognize it). You have little experience with the Hoosiers and never run on concrete before, yet you expected to have it figured out in three runs? Your car still isn't fully developed or sorted (particularly for use on concrete). And, you've been autocrossing for less than a year. Andy...get a grip and see what you're doing with the tools you have. You should be pretty frigging happy with yourself. Give yourself some credit for where you are and what you've done with what you have.

The competitive aspect grabs a bunch of us and gives us reasons to strive to improve and targets to measure our performance, but if we don't stay connected with reality we'll just be chasing ghosts.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 05-31-2004, 07:20 PM
I reject your reality

Mein Auto: 02 Trulli-Leopard

It's good you're keeping the bar high for yourself. But, yes, realize what Clyde-o-matic said. Don't get bummed, just take good notes on the differences you experienced in running on concrete, running with tough competition, etc.

And although the ZHP seems overmatched, don't totally count it out. Russ Wiles was actually probably the guy who helped set the BMW bar so high... I can recall with some fuzziness that he won in one class, got it bumped up, won again... and so on. I think it was with E30s. So don't come to the big events feeling like an underdog. Feel like "an unknown quantity."

The last thing I'll mention: getting up to speed quickly. This *in itself* is an art that is learned through experience. The really top guys who know their cars well and are used to various surfaces -- through experience -- can often make their first run their fastest... or close to it. You need to be on the pace on your first run, and not drop a second in your later runs. You need to make that "1-second wonder" run earlier, then chip away with slight improvements thereafter.

It sounds like you're on the right track. But cut yourself some slack and learn from it.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E30, M3, 540i
Clyde, Dave, I agree with what you both said. I appreciate the advise and the encouragement.

You’re right, experience is the main ingredient that I am lacking in. I am very grateful that I’ve picked up on the sport so quickly, the problem is, is that it causes me to set the bar higher (maybe too high) and strive harder to be better. It’s probably a good thing that I got a good spanking last weekend. This has caused me to realign my goals and change my strategy for this year.

Believe it or not, I’m looking forward to my next Cendiv event, hopefully the spanking won’t sting as much this time.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:50 AM
I reject your reality

Mein Auto: 02 Trulli-Leopard
Good deal.

Nothing wrong with setting the bar high. Don't get down on yourself, however.

Just channel the "lessons learned" into action plans for the next events, which it sounds like you are doing.