Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 05-16-2012, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M3
Z4 35i without sport package question

Looking at a used 2011 35i Z4 7spd. It has everything I want but the sport package. I would like the firmer suspension you can tune with the sport package. I would probably leave it in firm all the time. Is there something that can be reasonably done after market to stiffen the suspension. I like to do HPDEs and I like the firmer suspension. Reasonable = simple and not too expensive.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 05-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Springs and/or shocks. But why can't you adjust the suspension settings without a sport package? I had a Z4 without the sport package and I had 3 suspension settings on a rocker switch.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 05-16-2012, 10:48 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
I'd want the sport seats. If the car you are looking at doesn't have sport seats, keep shopping.

In the UK the adjustable suspension is available as a separate item. Dunno about the US where most options are bundled into packages.

The normal/sport/sport+ switch doesn't indicate a car has the adjustable suspension. Our car has the switch with the standard suspension.

The M-Sport suspension changes more than the shocks and springs. The anti-sway bars are stiffer. Bushings might be different too. I haven't looked at the part numbers.

Retrofitting the M-Sport parts is possible but will be expensive. There are aftermarket coil-over sets. Dunno how they compare to M-Sport.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 05-16-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M3
Button will work but no change in suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Springs and/or shocks. But why can't you adjust the suspension settings without a sport package? I had a Z4 without the sport package and I had 3 suspension settings on a rocker switch.

My understanding from BMW is they put the button and the lights in all the Z4s now, but unless you have the sport package option it doesn't change anything in the suspension.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Maybe it's different now, but in my 2011 Z4 the rocker switch definitely changed the suspension...normal - sport - sport+. Each move up made the suspension noticeably stiffer. I have the M Sport package now with the same rocker switch (although Normal is now call Comfort) and it does the same thing.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 05-17-2012, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: '09 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
I'd want the sport seats. If the car you are looking at doesn't have sport seats, keep shopping.
This.

I have to say, the Sport Pkg (inc M-sport) is one of the best packages you can have on a BMW. The improved suspension and sport seats make a huge difference. I would say the seats really make it worthwhile. I can never go back to regular seats after having the sport seats.

I made sure to order my Z4 with the M-sport.