Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 E60
Start/Stop & Driving Mode

2 questions... i have been driving my new car for about, umm.. 50 total miles (75 odometer reading) and the Start/Stop feature is one that will take a lot of getting used to, or I will just disable each time I start the car... what are some of the veteran's thoughts on the feature?

Additionally, and maybe I should start a seperate thread, does someone have a link to a thread that will give me the pros & cons, as well as some basic descriptions, of all of the driving options that come with each(Comfort, Comfort+, Sport, Sport+)?

As usual, thanks... and enjoy your weekend with you BIMMER!
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyrapp00 View Post
2 questions... i have been driving my new car for about, umm.. 50 total miles (75 odometer reading) and the Start/Stop feature is one that will take a lot of getting used to, or I will just disable each time I start the car... what are some of the veteran's thoughts on the feature?

Additionally, and maybe I should start a seperate thread, does someone have a link to a thread that will give me the pros & cons, as well as some basic descriptions, of all of the driving options that come with each(Comfort, Comfort+, Sport, Sport+)?

As usual, thanks... and enjoy your weekend with you BIMMER!

I have to say that I actually like the Auto Start/Stop. After 6 months of using it, I re-coded my car so it now defaults to OFF, and only turns ON by itself if I select ECO Pro. Well, the reality is that now I am manually turning it ON more often than not. You just don't realize how long you stay at stop lights with your engine running... and when you look at what that does to your MPG's, you will appreciate the importance of saving your A.S.S. (pun intended...
2012 535i | Built 8/25˜9/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 05-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i
Our other car is a Hybrid that also has this feature so I was used to it. I tend to drive with in ON and it doesn't bother me a bit.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Sport/Sport+ ---> The car drives like a BMW.
Comfort/Comfort+ ---> The car drives like a Town Car.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 05-18-2012, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
The only time I shut it off is if I am in heavy traffic and moving up a few feet at a time, other than that, I try to time the SS function so there is no lag.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM
BMWCCA Member

Mein Auto: ED 2012 535xi TiAg
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The only time I shut it off is if I am in heavy traffic and moving up a few feet at a time, other than that, I try to time the SS function so there is no lag.
That's interesting. My understanding is that in stop and go traffic, the Auto Stop Start will not turn the engine off.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Jaguar F-Type S
I just cannot warm up to the auto start/stop feature. Maybe because it reminds me of the same panicked feeling you get when your car stalls at an intersection. I understand its purpose but I find it annoying on my short commutes to the office. I typically get to a traffic light, feel the engine turn off, 2 or 3 seconds later the light turns green, I put my foot on the accelerator and the engine restarts. This is such a short amount of time that I cannot see how this is actually saving gas and is worth the hassle. After all I bought the ultimate driving machine to enjoy, not a Prius. Without using auto start/stop I am still averaging 21 mpg and that is with frequent runs to redline.

If I had a longer commute the mpg savings might be worth the “oh my God the car just died” feeling. However I used the auto start/stop on a recent trip through heavy LA traffic and it actually disabled itself because the engine shut down and restarted so many times in a short distance. I assume this happened to keep the car charged, the A/C running and engine cooled.

I use Sport/Sport+ mode around town and on back roads. Each time I get into the car I put it into drive and move the selector to the left to DS mode, which disables the auto start/stop without pushing the button on the dash. Since I started doing this the car is much more responsive.

I use Eco Pro or Comfort+ for highway driving only. Recently averaged 32.2 mpg at 69 mph on a 400+ mile trip from Northern CA to LA in Eco Pro which I thought was pretty impressive.

2014 Jaguar F-Type S Ebony/Jet
Previous:
2012 535i M Sport Alpine White/Oyster & Black
2011 328i Convertible Mineral White/Oyster & Black
2006 325i Convertible Alpine White/Tan
Old 05-18-2012, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
If the battery runs down to a certain point the SS mode will disable itself.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
I dislike the feature and would not use it. I had a new 2012 528i loaner yesterday and every time I stopped, the car shuddered when the engine turned off. When releasing the brake, the car shuddered again when it restarted. I disarmed the feature using the button under the starter button. Very poor engineering in my opinion.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:13 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
I hate it. Also it doesn't start as smoothly as it did 9000 miles ago so it is very noticeable. Will have it programmed to always be off once someone will do it for me.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 05-19-2012, 02:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi
I use SS often and have gotten very comfortable with it. At first I started counting the seconds the engine was off at traffic lights. From what I read, BMW claims that there is s fuel savings if the engine is cut off more than 4 seconds. I seldom find that my stop at a light is that short. As the summer comes I have been turning off the SS function at the start of my trip so the air conditioner will stay on full blast until the car is cool enough for me, but other than that I do not see a need to spin the engine when the wheels do not need the power. I have yet to have any problems with the restart of the engine as soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal. As one of the earlier posters noted, I have changed my habits a lights a bit. I will not creep up on the car in front of me, and I will wait a bit when the light turns green to let the line in front move. Most traffic lights stay red for more than 8 seconds, so on average, if I have to stop at a light, it will be over 4 seconds.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Just taken delivery of a 2012 528i with M Sport pack in Space Gray. Great car. Driven about 30 miles. I have driven many cars in Europe with Start Stop and was at first disconcerted by the apparent 'stalling' of the car at lights. For many years stalling was the horror of driving older cars and the embarrassment of trying to restart the car programs us all to be initially rather wary. However once you get used to it and find that it restarts without problem I quickly got used to it and now have no problem. So the behavior of my new 528i is not a problem and a welcome contribution to saving fuel (one of the reasons I got the 528i rather than a 535i).

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 05-19-2012, 05:25 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
don't have it on my f10 but had it on two 328 loaners. Did not mind it at all. Here in DC, you don't just stop for a second and keep rolling, you stop for 1, 2, 3 minutes at a time. our stops are not because of traffic so much as stop lights. They are everywhere.

I found certain situations (real stop and go highway traffic) where the system would stop and start too much and i disabled it. I wish there was a way to set it to a mimum stopped time of, say, 20 seconds. However I really appreciated what it did for gas mileage and wish i had it.

i think it really depends on your driving habits. that will be a big determining factor in whether you like it or not.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians