Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30 328i
Should I buy my car at the end of the lease - 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

My car lease is ending on May 30th, and as usual, I have the option of either buying it or returning it. It was a 29 month lease, but I didn't end up putting on a lot of miles on the car. So far, the car has 15,250 miles on it. Based on the residual value, my dealership told me that I can buy the car for ~$39,000 plus a inspection fee (~$700).

Specs of the car:
2009 Z4 s35i
Deep Sea Blue
Ivory White Nappa Leather
Premium Package
18" wheels with performance tires
7-speed double clutch Trans
Through loading system

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention, the car was being used by the dealer as a test-drive car and had about 1000 miles on it when I leased the car (was able to negotiate a good deal because of this).

What do you experts think I should do? I am a rational person. I like the car, but I also want to make the financially prudent decision. I have looked at KBB and Edmunds, but can't seem to find an exact price estimation. When I look at cars being sold on eBay, etc, they are going for $42K to $43K with a lot more miles on them.

If I deicide to keep the car, should I take the CPO package? Can I negotiate the price of the car down at the dealership?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions...

Last edited by the_jaguar; 05-18-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330 Ci ZHP
If you like it, it fits your needs and you can afford it go ahead. Investing in a depreciating asset is always a money loser. You can always try to negotiate. Make a decent offer and if they take it, you're ahead. If not they have to bear what ever additional costs it will take to sell it.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Only you can answer this.

If you like the car, +1 for yes. If you didn't abuse the car, +1 for yes. If you buy a used car, you don't know how it was treated, +1 for yes.

As far as the price, it may be right. It may be lower than what they will sell it to others, maybe not.

Try to negotiate waiving the $700 inspection fee. Tell them they will save time and effort because they don't need to check the car nor clean it. They may say that they must do it if it is a CPO car but you can counter that you will buy it sight unseen (ha ha). As a bargaining chip, you might say that you'll buy it as a non-CPO but research whether the warranty is 4 years from the first owner's purchase or longer. If it is the same 4 years (1.5 years more) then CPO doesn't help you.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
I'd try to negotiate, esp the 700 fee. At the end of the day, if you are happy with the car, I would buy it. N4S