Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645ci convertible 2004
driving sport mode all the time

I just love driving in sport mode when the wife is not in the car,my question is,is it harder on the internals of the engine especially the gaskets since the car is revving higher and there is more compression like when slowing down ?
Old 08-16-2015, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci
I was actually wondering the same thing.. I have been driving in sport mode the past couple of days and I noticed that it sucked up the oil that I just added pretty quickly, compared to when I do not use it. I have leaking valve covers though so thats part of the reason for the loss of oil.

2005 645 Ci (Current)
8000K HID Bulbs + 7W Ebay Halos & Fog Lights + 21" 128 Style Wheels + K&N Air Filter + Replica CSR Front Lip + Triple Resonator Delete with X-Pipe + Aux Input with Bluetooth Dongle +

2002 745 LI (Sold)
2006 X5 (Wife's)
Old 08-16-2015, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 650 Convertible
I drive in Sport Mode and DS and have since the car was new for everything except freeways with no traffic (rare around here). 52K miles. No leaks, no problems.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
There are three selections I make everytime I get in the car by myself - sport button on, tranny to the left for D/S mode, and one click of the DTC. Of course I average 13 mph also...

The car is designed for performance, so I don't worry about the internals or other affects. But I look at my car as a consumable item also, in the end it is just a car. I guess I could drive it in it's weakest modes and baby it, but what am I saving it for?
Old 08-16-2015, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Drive it like you stole it!
Old 08-16-2015, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
There are three selections I make everytime I get in the car by myself - sport button on, tranny to the left for D/S mode, and one click of the DTC. Of course I average 13 mph also...

The car is designed for performance, so I don't worry about the internals or other affects. But I look at my car as a consumable item also, in the end it is just a car. I guess I could drive it in it's weakest modes and baby it, but what am I saving it for?
Tranny to the left? are you talking about the shift knob? I never shift mine to the left, whats the benefit of doing it?

2005 645 Ci (Current)
8000K HID Bulbs + 7W Ebay Halos & Fog Lights + 21" 128 Style Wheels + K&N Air Filter + Replica CSR Front Lip + Triple Resonator Delete with X-Pipe + Aux Input with Bluetooth Dongle +

2002 745 LI (Sold)
2006 X5 (Wife's)
Old 08-16-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog805 View Post
Tranny to the left? are you talking about the shift knob? I never shift mine to the left, whats the benefit of doing it?
You know, I have never found a definitive answer to this question. The manual says when you put the shift knob to the left with an automatic it engages the sport transmission mode. Does it also enable the Sport mode like the button? I don't know

Try it out, when you push it to the left while in drive the tranny holds the shift longer, so you have available power when you are hotdogging it. It feels to me like it is a harder shift, but that could just be a placebo affect. Also, it allows me to manually upshift/downshift should I want more "power on demand". Say I am waiting for a break, I may manually lock it into a lower gear so that I am at a higher rev when I punch it resulting in immediate power delivery. I practice a bit manually changing gears, I found that taking your foot off the gas while upshifting or downshifting makes for a quicker shift.

Don't follow my lead though, I just got a letter from the sheriff that someone called in a complaint about my driving! And that on a night that the Wife and I were heading to dinner, when she is in the car with me I am downright sedate. The way I drive around my neighborhood I am surprised I am not on a hot-list of some type.

Last edited by tampamark; 08-16-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:

Mark,

I forgot to tell you about this. You can grab a PLRC (Pulse Logic Relay Control) for about $45.00 You can order it in several configurations.

If you get it as a Pulse Closed on power up, and wire it to the Sport switch, it will put on Sport Mode every tine you start the car.

One less switch to hit.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 08-17-2015, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645i
I wish there was way for the car to start automatically with T/C fully off and Sport mode on!

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
Old 08-17-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
Mark,

I forgot to tell you about this. You can grab a PLRC (Pulse Logic Relay Control) for about $45.00 You can order it in several configurations.

If you get it as a Pulse Closed on power up, and wire it to the Sport switch, it will put on Sport Mode every tine you start the car.

One less switch to hit.
That is very cool, thanks! But alas, when the Wife drives she is not so happy with Sport Mode. Plus, when I get into my subdivision I turn it off, the throttle is a bit jumpy with all systems in HOT MODE. It feels weird having to push the throttle with more emphasis to go, in regular mode it feels dull and listless to me.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
I wish there was way for the car to start automatically with T/C fully off and Sport mode on!
It's called an M6

Old 08-17-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
That is very cool, thanks! But alas, when the Wife drives she is not so happy with Sport Mode. Plus, when I get into my subdivision I turn it off, the throttle is a bit jumpy with all systems in HOT MODE. It feels weird having to push the throttle with more emphasis to go, in regular mode it feels dull and listless to me.
You can still put a switch on it

Old 08-17-2015, 07:46 PM

Our resident tech guru " Gary ", is way ahead of us on the electronic updates. He really has a M6 in Stealth Mode!

You are the man Gary!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Our resident tech guru " Gary ", is way ahead of us on the electronic updates. He really has a M6 in Stealth Mode!

You are the man Gary!
Thanks Herb.

We all have our thing. I do wires.

You do gears and pistons!

If it is covered in oil or explodes I stay away.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:00 PM

WELL i don't know if its related,but ive been driving in sport mode for about 3 weeks now,and today i noticed an oil leak,gonna take her in this week and see whatis leaking now
Old 08-30-2015, 07:09 PM

I doubt sport mode has anything to do with it, just another leaking o-ring or gasket. You have sure had your share of bad luck lately!
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

that makes me feel better,i still wont give up on the car,its too fun of a car to drive,i will try to get her in this week and post whats the new leak
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

didn't you just have some fixed? It is usually one of standard - valve cover/timing cover/alternator gasket/vacuum pump/oil sensor (under pump).

The valve cover and vacuum pump are the easiest to see.
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

i had the valve cover,alternator bracket and an o ring in a hose that goes in the head done will look for the others tomorrow see if i can find the leak