Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645 CI
Audio Upgrade Availability

I have a 2004 BMW 645ci with NO Blue Tooth, SAT, iPhone connection and an antiquated GPS system. With 48K miles on a 7 year old car (I am the original owner), I recently made the decision to keep the car and try and upgrade the entire audio system. While I understand that there are OEM products offered (e.g., Kenwood, Pioneer), I am concerned about the integration and asthetics of putting these products in the car. I have been told by one technician that it might be possible to put in a 2010 audio system, but I am not certain as to how that will work with the old iDrive system.

Has anyone upgraded their old 645 with new audion technology and if so, what did you do and who performed the work for you? I reside in Orange County, CA, so something close is preferred. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650 Sold - '12 Jaguar XK
It can be done, it is pricey to get the new Idrive system in your car. Here is a thread that outlines it and they say it is around $2800. That is for a system that they installed themselves, if you are going to have a BMW shop or audio specialty place put this in then probably add $500 or more. Updating this will give you the new Idrive interface and navigation features. It looks like it is nicer, but personally I don't think it gives over $3k in additional satisfaction to me. It is still the same interface, only with improvements. The original Idrive knob can be kept, if you upgrade that you have some additional work.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...ation-log.html

If you want to upgrade to Satellite that is an entirely different issue. You would have to purchase a SDARS module and install it in the rear of the car. It is a fairly involved install that also involves attaching into the MOST power block near the back seat and getting the Satellite antenna installed - your model year does not have the antenna ready to use. Once that is done the dealer would have to program the Idrive to recognize the module. I have attached the Satellite installation instructions for you to review.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bmw sdars install.pdf (406.2 KB, 229 views)
Old 10-30-2011, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: bmw e63
Im interested on this too. I have seen and auxiliary input for Ipod or MP3 at bavarian autosport but im not sure to buy it. Have somebody bought it?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 AM

The Aux in is fairly inexpensive and easy. You can use your original Idrive computer, but you have to add the connection to the back. Therefore you have to remove the unit from the dash, this means removing the screen, then the front bezel and the switches, then the radio unit out of the dash.

The Aux kit can be bought for (some have claimed) $70 on ebay. The kicker is that to activate the input you have to go to the dealer and they have to program the computer to recognize the new input. That has been reported to cost from nothing to $300, all depends on your dealer. The ones that got it free typically were in for other work and/or still under warranty.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Thanks Tampamark: Thumbup:
Old 10-31-2011, 07:42 AM

No worries!

Here are the instructions for the installation of the Aux In kit. Once you buy the harness you don't plug it into the back of the radio, you remove the pins from the plastic connector and insert them into the existing connector already in the back. Seems like a waste, if it was me I would simply buy wires and some pin connectors and make my own wire to put inside. Or harvest them from another plastic connector, doctor them up to fit if they don't.

Anyway, here they are...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bmw aux in kit.pdf (600.0 KB, 322 views)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645 CI
Thanks Tampamark

Very much appreciate the information.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
No worries!

Here are the instructions for the installation of the Aux In kit. Once you buy the harness you don't plug it into the back of the radio, you remove the pins from the plastic connector and insert them into the existing connector already in the back. Seems like a waste, if it was me I would simply buy wires and some pin connectors and make my own wire to put inside. Or harvest them from another plastic connector, doctor them up to fit if they don't.

Anyway, here they are...
Thanks Tampamark, I saw it at Bavarian autosport. Where must I buy the AUX in kit? Bavarian or there is someone on Ebay?. Have you done the installation on your car? Can you do a DO IT YOURSELF?. Do you need to active at the dealer?. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:11 AM

It can be done yourself, go to the thread below, look at Post #4, there are detailed steps for the install. You have to be comfortable with taking apart you car! I have not done it myself, but I have done this type of work on every car I have owned so I am very comfortable doing something like this.

It does require a dealer to program it once it is installed. My dealer quoted $350 for the install and programming. Every dealer is different. If you install yourself and go in for just a programming charge it would be a couple of hundred bucks.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124742
Old 11-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 650i
Well speaking of the audio, Bavarian sound works has an upgraded speaker system specifically designed for our cars, they are cheaper then $2800 so give them a try. Last I looked the speaker upgrade kit (excluding subs) at under $700
Old 11-07-2011, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci
For anyone wanting to add an aftermarket amp & sub(s) check out this thread which showcases a wiring harness to integrate it into the stock Logic 7 system.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=433525
Old 11-07-2011, 03:01 PM

That is a very nice solution, but unnecessary. Here is a post by a member that is in the DIY section, all you have to do is tap into the output wires yourself, the wire loom runs from the amp along the side of the drivers side trunk wall. Most amps have a High Level input option which eliminates the need to use an line-level adapter like this (converts high powered signal down to line-level amp signal). As far as a turn on wire, the stereo in the 6 series never turns off, it has an option to MUTE, but not to shut it off. So an amp turn on/off signal is irrelevant. So you can use an ignition-sense turn on instead.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=467937
Old 01-23-2016, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 05 645CI
Hi, my question is my CCC UNIT has stopped working completely! ! Can I take the CD and Navigation player out and replace it with a aftermarket radio???!!!!
Old 01-24-2016, 01:41 AM

Mein Auto: M6, 630i, 320iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillespie1v View Post
Hi, my question is my CCC UNIT has stopped working completely! ! Can I take the CD and Navigation player out and replace it with a aftermarket radio???!!!!
Aside from the physical and aestethic aspects of installing an aftermarket unit (it will look terrible!) you'll also have no access to adjust the climate control, vehicle settings, tire pressure monitor reset, service menu and the other menu items in iDrive.
I think you'd make the car unsellable as a result.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:17 AM

Didn't think about that .... Thanks
Old 01-24-2016, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: M6, 630i, 320iC
No problem, sorry to be a kill joy! If you need help coding a second hand CCC unit just post back here. The software required to do it is readily available (www.bcables.com or www.cable-shack.co.uk) and you can use a CCC from an e60 5 Series as the units are identical, that might make your search easier.
2007 e63 M6

Previous Cars: 2002 e39 525iA Sport, 1994 e36 318i, 1990 e34 520i, 1989 e30 325i, 1986 e30 316
Old 01-24-2016, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the help! I guess I am going to have to see how deep my pockets go ... I price a new ccc unit $1000 and a used one is $ 650 we'll see. Thanks for the link!
Old 01-25-2016, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 645i
I was in the same situation a few months back. I can recommend my approach, you can check in detail here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=828061

And one more thing. Before trying crazy stuff on the sound system, just take a look at bavsound speakers for the e63: http://www.bavsound.com/

They really make a huge difference, I upgraded 7 speakers (front center / mid and tweets in the doors / 2 rear speakers). They sound way better, specially when you travel at high speeds with the normal road noise.

Hope it helps.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:24 PM

That's a good idea!!! Audio dealers in this area will not touch the radio .... they said it'll have to be dealership only...smh

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search