Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-19-2015, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 M3 / 2003 X5
4.4 with multiple problems please help

My 2003 X5 has been nothing but problems - Please help - 165000 miles

My X5 has lost probably 50% of its power. With the peake scan tool its reading codes from all cylinder misfires to individual misfires. Also at times it will read a "5-8 secondary air" code and sometimes "1-4 secondary air". Air Mass sensor. Recently it's been reading a "evap emission system purge valve" and a "MAP controlled thermostat circuit/control."

Today I was driving it, (I've probably put less than 500 miles on it in the past 6 months) and as I sped up it had a flashing SES, stalled at the following red light and threw a P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge control valve circuit and a P0363 Misfire Detected - Fueling Disabled. The gauge on the cluster that shows fuel consumption imediately goes to 8 (the lowest) whenever any type of acceleration is happening. And.. I am getting a pool of oil mostly under the aft right side of the engine. Also I noticed that the exhaust at the left tail pipe was less than the right and there is a odd smell that I can't figure out. There is also a ticking noise that I can't find in the engine bay that speeds up with idle and it seems that it's got louder.

I have no idea where to start from the secondary air check valve, PCC valve, Emissions purge control valve. Is there something that can cause all of this or do you think it's multiple issues? The codes are usually one system related but they seem to be different form week to week. I've had this thing for 2 years now and have already put a new trans,-transfer case, front diff, and a DSC module in it. Without all the repairs I could of paid this thing off and dumped it by now but I'm stuck. My nearest dealer is 1 1/2 hours away and it envolves city driving,, so I don't wanna risk limping it there and I don't have the cash for that right now.

Any suggestions or direction would be a great help. I have the Bentley manual and google to help me also. I'm familiar with the E46 but this dog is a bit different. Thanks for reading.
Advertisement

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search