Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-19-2012, 05:39 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
The beast got passed today!

How could this happen? Well, while Mrs Dunderhi & I were heading to a bike ride (with the bikes on the roof) we were cruising down a two lane country road about 10mph over the speed limit and a full-size Ford pick came up from behind and passed us. Yes, I know this is non-event for most of the world, but it rarely happens to me and it took huge amounts of self-control for me to let him pass me and subsequently not to pass him back. I did think about it.

So why is this a news worthy event? He got pulled over by LEO about two miles down the road doing 20mph over in a 40mph zone. How do I know? I was pacing him of course.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Bahahahahaha!! Go D and Mrs D!
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 05-19-2012, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
With my Dinan Stage 2 550xi I never get passed....unless I LET myself be passed.
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 05-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i, 00 M Roadster
Yea, but you got to pass him with a smile on your face and no extra points on the license
Old 05-19-2012, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
How could this happen? Well, while Mrs Dunderhi & I were heading to a bike ride (with the bikes on the roof) we were cruising down a two lane country road about 10mph over the speed limit and a full-size Ford pick came up from behind and passed us. Yes, I know this is non-event for most of the world, but it rarely happens to me and it took huge amounts of self-control for me to let him pass me and subsequently not to pass him back. I did think about it.

So why is this a news worthy event? He got pulled over by LEO about two miles down the road doing 20mph over in a 40mph zone. How do I know? I was pacing him of course.
lol best feeling ever

We need a dedicated story thread

My turn from Friday

I had a guy off 94 try to pass me on a double solid two lane in a v8 tundra lmao. I was driving butt slow because of the cops, and that I don't spend that much time up there. Well he was about to pass me, and I realized what was happing, and stepped on it (crushed him when I hit 80 and stopped at 110 when he got back in line like a good boy). He couldn't get over and actually got further and further behind .

He was banging on his steering wheel, riding my butt (had I hit the breaks god himself couldn't have stopped the car that close), then he tried again with an oncoming car I could have whipped him one more go, but with a passenger (no video/ pics ) I didn't want to endanger her/ the oncoming driver (anyone who freaks out like that might be crazy enough to take out all 3 of us).

So...... After I LET him go, he sped off in-front of me as fast as he could (figured he'd show me his power), then was jamming on his breaks like 500 feet ahead, and I couldn't figure out if he thought I was mad and was going to chase him and he'd show me by stopping me ( this made him more mad and he proceeded to flail his arms like a 5 year old in K-mart... Awesome day, and tell Mrs D this doesn't count as a thread hi-jack but a share

Last edited by SuperTerp; 05-19-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I was driving butt slow because of the cops, and that I don't spend that much time up there. Well he was about to pass me, and I realized what was happing, and stepped on it (crushed him when I hit 80 and stopped at 110 when he got back in line like a good boy).
What an asshole. You are intentionally driving slow, but still won't let the poor guy pass you? Unbelievable.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgscott987 View Post
What an asshole. You are intentionally driving slow, but still won't let the poor guy pass you? Unbelievable.
No... I was doing the speed limit that would be butt slow (is it even possible to drive more then a second under the limit ?), as the limits on that road should be much higher except for a few turns(I'd wager on roads like that out in the sticks, 55 MINIMUM would be more then safe).

And I also let him pass me

I guess poor wording = poor interpretation

Last edited by SuperTerp; 05-19-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
Ah....you are seasoned driver when you don't give a flying scheiss when someone passes. BMWs can do some impressive things...it'st good to see the guy get nailed (rather than you of course).

If you're out for fun, and some bonehead passes, all the power to them--some jacked up pick-up makes a good target.

Not baning a souped up pick-up--they can be fun. I considered a Raptor at one time and realized how stupid the idea was.

As well all know, these F10s sport or not sport are capable of hitting some high speed without you knowing it unelss you're eyes are glued on the speedo. Even a 535 moves out--and crusing on the interstate makes you want to run at 80 mph +. Sometimes it's fun to just sick back and enjoy your ride and let some other idiot clear out the speed traps. All part of the strategy of driving.

I've found I could care less--I'll drive the limit and enjoy the ride. Life's short, and despite some issues here and there with the F10, it is one damn fine ride.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell525 View Post
Not baning a souped up pick-up--they can be fun. I considered a Raptor at one time and realized how stupid the idea was.
I'm actually kind of shocked at how many I see on the road (raptors that is)
Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I encounter this story a lot on the interstate. especially since my segmented radar has the sensitivity to pick-up instant-on or quick trigger radar pulses up to a mile in advance which even a V1 cannot do. I am constantly amazed that people don't take my rapid deceleration as a sign...

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 05-20-2012, 11:34 AM
The Driver

BTW The radar has a great sensitivity for the scent of bacon

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 05-20-2012, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I encounter this story a lot on the interstate. especially since my segmented radar has the sensitivity to pick-up instant-on or quick trigger radar pulses up to a mile in advance which even a V1 cannot do. I am constantly amazed that people don't take my rapid deceleration as a sign...
Don't know too much about radars and such. How does your radar pick up a instant-on gun? Wouldn't it be "off" therefore not emitting any sort of signal to be picked up?
Old 05-20-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Can you can't stop spectra and I guess there is no way to stop vascar , I'm calling an installer this week to get a price on the hp quad .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
How could this happen? Well, while Mrs Dunderhi & I were heading to a bike ride (with the bikes on the roof)
She wasn't driving today was she lol this reminded me of the story just an hour ago

Last edited by SuperTerp; 05-20-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:56 PM
The Driver

I've never encountered Vascar. I've only encounter radar, laser, aerial pacing and terrestrial pacing. But I think you may be right.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 05-20-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I've never encountered Vascar. I've only encounter radar, laser, aerial pacing and terrestrial pacing. But I think you may be right.
They do it a little in MD and PA which is why I asked, but given my brief research last night if the piggies start doing that in droves we're all SOL. How can you stop radar with the FCC rules? Or do you just mean detector not jammer
Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 PM
The Driver

Quote:
They do it a little in MD and PA which is why I asked, but given my brief research last night if the piggies start doing that in droves we're all SOL. How can you stop radar with the FCC rules? Or do you just mean detector not jammer
You can't stop radar. But detection is excellent with the right setup.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 05-20-2012, 02:03 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
She wasn't driving today was she lol this reminded me of the story just an hour ago

Nope. We got in a 50 miler yesterday, so that was enough for the weekend. Today we were leaf blowing, pruning, pressure washing, and my favorite method of weeding: flame throwing. (Mrs Dunderhi only had to put out a couple of small fires. Luckily she was watering the garden at the time. )

Anyway, since we live in the "sticks" I know the rural roads pretty well. The LEOs in Montgomery & Howard County pretty much ignore 94, but in Carroll County there's a couple of spots where they like to sit. The aggresive pick-ups, with their earth shattering 300hp, are everywhere. So, cars beware!

Click image for larger version

Name:	rear 3-4-3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	325919Click image for larger version

Name:	front 3-4-2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	325920
P.S. I feel obligated to admit that I had Dodge Ram 4x4 with Corsa Exhaust, CAI, & BFG g-Force T/A tires, but I only terrorized Corvettes.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)

Last edited by dunderhi; 05-20-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:20 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Don't know too much about radars and such. How does your radar pick up a instant-on gun? Wouldn't it be "off" therefore not emitting any sort of signal to be picked up?
If the road is empty then you are right, but in practice the road is never empty and they are bound to shoot someone before they shoot you. Most radar detectors like the sensitivity to pick up these short pulses, but mine can do it flawlessly. I have never missed an instant on gun with the latest Bel unit. Its astonishingly good.

2014 ///M5 Individual