Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 02-28-2015, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 745i, 330Xi
Coolant leak on both sides of air intake manifold

Hi,

I have a 2002 745i - the only car in the world that combines power, grace, elegance, and beauty - that is approaching 100,000 and as such it's due for some maintenance. While I was perusing the engine bay I noticed coolant on either side of the forward part of the intake manifold - hidden down low in a little cubby hole. I have noticed some minor loss of coolant over the past few months so these two little puddles of coolant are somewhat concerning as they may be symptomatic of a larger issue.

The water pump feels and sounds ok and the coolant transfer pipe weep hole doesn't appear to be leaking - plus they are lower in the engine bay making it hard for it to "leak up" into these two spots (see pictures).

I appreciate any thoughts on what may be causing this. I was getting ready to do the big job of replacing coolant pipe, water pump, thermostat, and a few other items (updated valve cover , gaskets, etc.) but I am hesitant to start until I have a better idea as to what may be causing this.

Thanks for your thoughts - pictures enclosed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolant leak 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	494978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolant leak 2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	494979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolant leak 3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	494980  
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2015, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 745li
have you changed the coolent pipe yet ?
Old 03-18-2015, 07:02 AM

Hi Tony

No, got side tracked here plus we are back to winter again - it's going down to 8 freaking degrees today. Unbelievable.

I went to the indy to ask them what they thought of the leak. They figured it out to be the coolant pipe from the reservoir that was leaking at the heads.

I specifically took today off to get started - doing a coolant flush/drain first as the last guy put regular coolant in and then it is on to the Secondary Air/Intake Manifold removal/Coolant Pipe/Valve Cover gasket/etc massive project. Unfortunately the garage isn't quite at 30 degrees right now. Hoping for 40 degrees on Saturday.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:24 AM

I am deep on using secondary air tool from aga. I am at the point where I am using the drill to run the brush through the galley. I've been sitting here for 15 minutes and the brush has not moved at all it just keeps spinning the same spot. I'd welcome any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong.

Last edited by riff; 03-24-2015 at 01:24 PM.