Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
About to buy my first BMW....2011 535i from Nebraska >>

This is my first post. I am very famliar with forums as I have had a few modded cars over the years. I am excited to get plugged in here.

I have a deposit on a car in a BMW dealership in Lincoln, Nebraska. 2 issues:

1) I am debating if I should drive there (with my wife and new 1 month old son) and look at the car, or just mail a check and have it shipped to Irving, TX (Dallas).

2) What is the recommended extended warranty that I should get. I want a company that will be willing to pay for repair costs and not have silly stipulations.

Here is a copy of the ad so you can see miles and specs:
http://www.bmwoflincoln.com/used/BMW...52c99cef0f.htm

Thank you in advance for your help. I am looking forward to finally being a BMW owner
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
I bought my 535 from that dealer...I believe the sales guys name was Bryan. I took a drive out there from Illinois.
2011 535i, 06/11 Build, Black Sapphire, Black Dakota, Dark Wood, 6mt, PP 1 & 2, Premium Sound, Soft Close Doors, Convenience, Driver Assist, Cold Weather, Nav, SAT, 35% Suntek Tint, BMWPedals, Coded, Xpel Paint Prot.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Specs are conspicuously absent. I see no Dynamic handling, though.

Also, what is the build date? Would avoid cars built prior to 9/2010.

Finally, I regret not getting the Sport Auto Transmission with the paddle shifters. A lot. If you are into modding, you may as well.

I would not buy one of these cars without driving it. Look for pulling to the right and jerky throttle.

As for warranty, get them to CPO it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Festaholic

Thanks for the quick feedback. Yes, the guy I am buying the car from is named Bryan! Small world, large forum.

So here are the items that seem a bit funny thus far:

1) He does not have the window sticker on the car and has not been able to list the exact packages and features on the car. To me that is a basic piece of information that should be known (the exact packages/features on a car). What he has listed is what he obtained from eyeballing the car. He said that he ordered a new window sticker; however, it has been 5 days and I have not seen a scanned copy of it (even though I have emailed a couple of times). I would think that typing in the VIN would give this sort of info.

2) If you look at the carfax on the ad, the car is an older 2011 (bought 09/09/2010). It than went to Germany!!! It was shipped back to the US 9 months after the car was purchased. The car was bought in Colorado Springs, and I believe that it is a military town. It can make sense that it was sold to someone that was deployed and had the car shipped.

3) When I had Classic BMW of Plano, TX look up the car via VIN, there were some missing pieces of info on the vehicle.

** Oh, in regards to CPO. Bryan said they don't CPO a car with that low miles. The Classic BMW dealership in Plano said it cost $3k to CPO a car. Don't know if any of this is true

Last edited by BigDeep1; 05-20-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335I x-drive m-sport
25K miles and they don't want to certify seems strange; could it be something in the car's history prevents them from certifying...

Gone 2011 535I X-Drive - Space Grey / Black Dakota / M-Sport / Sport Automatic with Paddles / Premium I / Premium II/ Cold Weather

Gone 2010 535I - Alpine Wht / Blck Dakota - Sprt, Premium, Cold Weather, Sport auto, Anthracite Liner, Nav, Satellite, HD & I-Pod

Gone - 2006 530XI -
Old 05-20-2012, 11:02 AM
BMWCCA Member

Mein Auto: ED 2012 535xi TiAg
I would run from this car.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Festaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Also, what is the build date? Would avoid cars built prior to 9/2010.

As for warranty, get them to CPO it.
The build date should definitely be prior 09/2010 as it was bought on that date. I guess this makes it one of the guinea pig cars, (ie. the first batch of cars made for this new model car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich1353 View Post
25K miles and they don't want to certify seems strange; could it be something in the car's history prevents them from certifying...
Well, I did not push the issue to certify it. As we know, the minimum cost to certify a BMW will be $2800 (plus any other issues they will have to fix). I guess having the car CPO'd may be the same as buying an extended warranty, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWF View Post
I would run from this car.
There are some concerns here, but I don't think I am at a point to fully turn my back on it. They are selling it a price that is thousands cheaper than others I have seen with the sport package, technology, and Premium 2. I am also specific that I want this color (or space grey) with this dark interior and trim.

This is really a toss up. Maybe if I pay for them to CPO it, I can save making a trip up there. Decisons....decisions!

Last edited by BigDeep1; 05-20-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Husker auto? They sold me an escalade that was nothing but problems resulting from their pre sales maintenance, as soon as my second check cleared (they accidentally shredded the first) they were not interested in returning my calls at all. It was still under factory warranty even though they told me it wasn't a cpo in order to sell me their own warranty.

You've been warned.

Jay

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 05-20-2012, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xdrive
For a purchase this big, I would advice you fly out there. You are not even leasing which means if the car has issues unloading it later is gonna be a BIG issue. Most people are now aware of the pre sep 2010 build cars and look away as woon as they see a car from that batch. Bite the bullet, fly out there and drive it extensively. If they do not give you a good price on cpo or extended warranty, just buy that from a forum sponsor... you will save a whole bunch of money.

Potential problems the car could have:
1. Drift to right\ Pull to the right
2. Abrupt and jerky transmission
3. Bubbles on tires
4. Possibly a factory buyback because of the reasons stated above
5. vibrations at idle

Last edited by BlackBerryCubed; 05-20-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post

** Oh, in regards to CPO. Bryan said they don't CPO a car with that low miles. The Classic BMW dealership in Plano said it cost $3k to CPO a car. Don't know if any of this is true
THat's a total crock of crap.

1, CPO only costs the dealer about $1k.

2. They will CPO any car for a price, unless it can't because it hasn't been registered yet. I bought my car CPO with 7k miles

Too smelly, and too many ones on market. Pass. Really. I know you want it, but don't do it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 05-20-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Festaholic

I am very grateful for all the feedback. I will take everyones advice and pass on this car. Wow, this forum family is impressive!!! Thank you for saving me on this.

Btw, I don't know the CPO costs for sure. I got that info from the dealer. I also read that at a random BMW forum, FWIW.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I am very grateful for all the feedback. I will take everyones advice and pass on this car. Wow, this forum family is impressive!!! Thank you for saving me on this.

Btw, I don't know the CPO costs for sure. I got that info from the dealer. I also read that at a random BMW forum, FWIW.
$1k plus or minus is dealer cost, unless something has changed lately.

I may have come across strong, but I do have some elements of regret buying my car. I got a screaming deal, but I also got some headaches along with it. I miss not having the SAT as well as the M Sport package. I was telling myself to wait but didn't.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
This car is very oddly optioned. No Premium 2 pkg, no sport auto, rear entertainment but no premium sound (No P2). No sirius. I'd pass on this car.

I'll sell you my 535xi white on oyster w/sport, p2, top view, cold weather, and sport auto. . 2011 with 10.5k miles mint condition.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
I will take everyones advice and pass on this car..
You made the right call - too many questions with this one.

- 2012 BMW 535i
- 1957 Chevrolet Belair
- 1966 Cadillac Deville
- 1978 Corvette
- 1979 Ford F250 w/460
Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Festaholic

Thanks for all the great advice here. I totally scraped that Husker 535i in Nebraska.

I actually just finished signing the paper work on a 2011 535i from Classic BMW here in North Texas (Plano). It is a 04/2011 build with Sports package, Premium 2, and a few other features. It is Titanium Silver and has the Everest Grey leather and dark trim. The car was a dealer loaner vehicle, and has 15k miles on it. It would look good on Carfax because it has never been titled to an owner.

I am happy with everything about this car, except I really wanted the black interior/leather. I need to do some research on these forums about recommendation for some black floor mats. I wish I could off-set the huge amount of grey on the interior of the car. I like the WeatherGuard floor mats, but I don't want my luxury interior looking like a truck bed-liner.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:35 AM

BMW OEM all season mats. No other way to go.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i MSport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
BMW OEM all season mats. No other way to go.
Absolutely! I had them in my E60 with a black interior and loved them. I wanted to get them for my F10 with Everest Gray, but they only make them in Black or Beige. I am thinking of getting the Weathertech all-weather mats as I can get them in gray.

Does anyone have anything to say about the quality of them in comparison to the BMW OEM?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Festaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisfb View Post
I am thinking of getting the Weathertech all-weather mats as I can get them in gray.

Does anyone have anything to say about the quality of them in comparison to the BMW OEM?
+1

I too have a grey interior, which makes this decision even more tricky.

I can say that buying OEM BMW floor mats is NOT a "no-brainer" decision as the Weather Tech mats may actually be of superior quality, fit and protection. Yes, there is a rubber BMW stamp on the OEM mat, but it does not seem that much more attractive than the Weather Tech mats.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=2834

Is this OEM BMW? Doesn't even have a BMW stamp:
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=3570

Comes in grey:
http://www.weathertech.com/bmw/2011/...s-all-weather/

Last edited by BigDeep1; 05-29-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: F10 535xi MSport
BigDeep1:

Get the Weathertech cargo liner - it will keep your trunk protected.
2011 535i xDrive, Dark Graphite Metallic, Veneto Beige Dakota Leather, M Sport Package, 316, 322, 3AG, 5AD, 5AG, 5DL, 609, 620, 655, 677, 6FL delivered Christmas Eve '10, Mods - quad tips, 20% tint, JB4.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM

Well I just ordered the WeatherTech all-weather floor mats in Gray for my 2012 550i with Everest Gray interior.

http://www.weathertech.com/bmw/2012/...s-all-weather/

I also got the cargo liner which only comes in black.

I will let you know how they are when they arrive.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:04 PM

The WeatherTech mats arrived and are installed, they fit well and look good. I have to admit I liked the low profile pattern and look of the oem better. If the oem came in gray I would choose them over these, that is just my preference.

I also got a trunk mat from WeatherTech which comes in black. It looks fantastic and fits perfectly!

The last item I ordered was a black license plate frame with clear plastic cover. It is solidly built and looks very nice on my F10. One word of caution is that it is thick and is a tight fit with the backup camera.

All together I am very happy with my order from WeatherTech for my F10.

2012 550i MSport 6MT - Dinan S3 - Imperial Blue Metalic/Everest Gray - 20" 373M Wheels
Old 06-07-2012, 02:24 AM
Festaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisfb View Post
The WeatherTech mats arrived and are installed, they fit well and look good. I have to admit I liked the low profile pattern and look of the oem better. If the oem came in gray I would choose them over these, that is just my preference.

I also got a trunk mat from WeatherTech which comes in black. It looks fantastic and fits perfectly!

The last item I ordered was a black license plate frame with clear plastic cover. It is solidly built and looks very nice on my F10. One word of caution is that it is thick and is a tight fit with the backup camera.

All together I am very happy with my order from WeatherTech for my F10.
Thanks Harris. Can you tell me if you think that the floor liner may have been a better options vs the all weather mat. I was debating about pulling the trigger on the grey all weather mat or on the floor liner. The floor liner is obviously a lot more thorough side protection.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks Harris. Can you tell me if you think that the floor liner may have been a better options vs the all weather mat. I was debating about pulling the trigger on the grey all weather mat or on the floor liner. The floor liner is obviously a lot more thorough side protection.
For me the floor liner was never an option...it does not fit cars with a manual transmission. But looking at them I am not sure I like the look of the tall sides. However I do like the less intense/deep tread pattern on them. I find the 'waffle' pattern on the all weathers a little annoying under my clutch foot. At least so far.