Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 05-21-2012, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: AW 328i
Bilstein Group N suspension... street/track?

Hi everyone...

I'm new to the E36 M3 (not to M3s in general though having owned 2 E92's) and am looking at getting a car and prepping it for track duty (HPDE). I have one option that has a Bilstein Group N suspension set up already installed. My question is whether this suspension will be too stiff for a car that is generally seeing 80% track time, travel to and from the track (about an hour over not great roads) and the odd weekend run? Also, the track I take the car to is less than ideal from a road surface perspective... let's say it needs to be resurfaced in places and is rough.

My understanding is the Group N is very stiff. I'm worried that it will be way too stiff for the odd weekend run, travelling to the track and maybe even at the track itself given the surface conditions (i.e. the car will bounce and feel unsettled). I have seen one other E36 with the Bilstein Group N and although I did not actually drive it it, the car was incredibly firm when I pushed on the front fender... i.e. no movement as all pretty much

I would really appreciate thoughts on the Bilstein Group N for this type of usage. If not the Bilstein, what would others suggest?

Thanks!
Ads by Google