Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 05-22-2012, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 m3 (e36)
Exclamation PLEASE HELP!! 3 days to Fix~~

Sooo here's the problem, While getting off a exit on the highway while in 3rd gear to get onto another highway, I went to switch gears from 3rd to 4th and as soon as i "TRIED" that, i discoverd this problem. With no noise or bounce or jerks or anythign at all that would give away there was somethign wrong right away, i didnt figure this out until i tried to put my car in 4th. The problem is that my shifter is COMPLETLY LOOSE! It wont change gears, it's not giving me any reaction what so ever. it just sits there like it's in "N" ... But now i can move it allllll around with out it catching any gears or anything at all.. I looked closer to it and removed everything from inside the car where the shifter was to get a better view and in this diagram that i got from real OEM... It looks exactly like what im looking at, (Well the whole shifter part, The problem is that part 9 in this diagram and i imagine part 10 as well since it's just a nut.... is still connected to the whole shifter it's self but it popped off that bar that was conncected to part 9 and 15. So its really just dangaling there without being able to do anything with it..... I had to call a tow truck to come take me and my girl to my house lol.... ya it was a pretty good day right????? BWHAHA plus i just waxed my car last night and now..... She's not goin anywhere

SO PLEASE HELP ME!!! has anyone ever been through this?? Is this just an easy fix, can i just get under the car and hook everything back up or do i have to go into a shop.... From the diagram it looks like it just popped out but i really have no idea how bad this is......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter diagram.png
Views:	89
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	326137  
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
I knew this was coming...

Time to get a Bentley manual and a shifter rebuild kit....you might want to post this in the E36 forum to get more visibility, and help in the process if you are DIY...

Edit:
Found something for ya, it seems like a similar case:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=lose+shifter

Search is your best friend

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 05-22-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
You should be able to get under there and see for yourself. It's on the passenger side of the transmission. Might be an easy fix, might not be...

Time for a short shift kit, anyhow!

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Thanks, Thats almost EXACTLY what happend

hahsa wow so reading that i couldent help but laugh cause it was EXACTLY what happend to me just diffrent gears, exept instead of starting off slow i just got towed, didnt want to cause any more problems lol.... Even though this is no laughing matter!!! Its like my new born baby just broke her legs and now she cant go anywhere!!! lol This car is my baby and will always be my dream car ha if your not paying one off your paying for the repairs right!! So im cool with it.... It sounds like its nothing to crazy to fix or replace, seems like it happens to others as well so some what common, Im going to BMW today to get those parts. But i already have the bentley book for it (Probably one of my best buys) so it helps out alot...

Idk maybe this can be a good thing, i thought i had a short shifter but idk for sure... Ive been wanting to rebuild my engine or just replace it cause i want to turn her into a dammm good track car and able to run the streets as well lol so maybe its time to put a short shift in there??

Here's a pic of my shifter, i thought it was a short shift or "semi" short bahaha but i could be wrong, what you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Time to get a Bentley manual and a shifter rebuild kit....you might want to post this in the E36 forum to get more visibility, and help in the process if you are DIY...

Edit:
Found something for ya, it seems like a similar case:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=lose+shifter

Search is your best friend
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1625.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	326169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1626.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	326170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1624.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	326171  
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Ya i agree...

Ya im getting under there today to look at it. Im hopeing its an easy fix. idk though.... im going to bmw to get some replacement parts to see about it,

But ya like i was telling x3 im trying to turn her into a track car/ streets lol soooo maybe a short shift kit would be best?? How much do those run and where can i get them?

Heres a pic of what i got now, i thought it already was??

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
You should be able to get under there and see for yourself. It's on the passenger side of the transmission. Might be an easy fix, might not be...

Time for a short shift kit, anyhow!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1624.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	326166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1625.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	326167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1626.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	326168  
Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 PM

Thumbs up update on this problem

Whaddup all!!!!!!!!!! ahahahhaha SOOOO some pretty Bad A$$ news... That problem that i "HAD" earlier ^^^^^^^^^^

Lol ya well that was easily fixed, all it took me was a trip to BMW to get a new pin to hold it in place again and WHA-LA Problem solved! Put the shift rod back through the hole that it needed to be in, slid the new $3 or $4 pin in place to hold it in and i got all my gears back!!!! hahahhahaha never felt better, i was thinking it was gonna be a ton of money cause BMW made it sound all difficult,pshhh not even I honestly saved at least $400 or $500 from taking it in to BMW!!! ha just goes to show, try doing it yourself before taking it in!!! but while i had it up did oil change and not a problem no more! lol

Heres the little pin that pretty much runs the car..... (the one that broke and cause my shift rod to fall out of place)

~BUT THANKS FOR THE HELP AND ADVICE ALL~

///M_'95
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1628.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	326226