Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Need Info On Hinged GPS Mount for Garmin Install

I was about to purchase the storage tray replacement piece that holds the factory GPS and do a Garmin install per the posts on this forum. I stumbled upon someone who utilized some sort of hinged mount that worked in conjunction with the storage tray allowing the GPS to be closed up in the tray when the door was shut. After searching and searching I can not find any such hinge that would allow the GPS unit to move as the door was closing and fold up allowing the door to shut.

Anyone got info on this type install and any comments on it.
Ads by Google
Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: '04 BMW X3, '04 330xi
It was not a vehicle hinge, it was a hinge from the hardware store.

Before you make any rash decisions, give me a few hours to get pictures of my GPS install in my cubby. No permanent modifications required.

Last edited by can0n4; 05-24-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:09 PM

This is just an idea. Some people prefer the hinged idea because it allows for you to put it down everyday. I chose this method because I live and work in a rural area and I also have bluetooth in my GPS so i leave it up 90% of the time because it allows me to talk on the phone. It does allow me to easily remove and hide the GPS as if it were never installed. I also chose this method because it allowed me to use the 7" Magellan which has video and audio inputs, as well as an additional back up camera. For the most part no one knows its not even factory until they look a little closer.

I removed the entire center console cubby from the top of the dash. From the back side i took pictures and document where everything went. Next I removed all of the hinge pieces and parts which allow the door to open and close. I also removed the tab which latches the front of the door closed. All of this was removed with a screwdriver and I put the parts in a bag with a picture of how it all goes back together for the day I decide I want it back to stock. Next I bought a GPS flat mount from radio shack which tapes into the back of the cubby. I had to slice it partially as shown in the pictures in order to make it fit flat. I mounted a 12 volt plug from radio shack in the glove box and wired it to the fuse panel. I ran the cord from the GPS down through the dash and into the glove box where it is now plugged in. The cubby door is kept in the back of my passenger seat and when I want to take the GPS off I remove it from the suction mount, and lie the cubby door onto the cubby. It stays put, looks flat and even latches somewhat. I absolutely love this setup. Pictures below.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:09 PM

Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
More info on your install please. I hadn't seen this option.

What I was looking into was the install someone did a while back that attached some sort of spring hinge to the door of the cubby that allowed the GPS to drop down when opened and somehow fold back up when the door was closed. This utilized the existing hardware in the vehicle with the added convenience of being able to conceal your GPS very easily.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
More info on your install please. I hadn't seen this option. .
Did you see what I wrote in post 3 regarding the install?

I've seen the hinged mount. Worked well. The owner either used double sided tape or screws to mount a spring hinge from a hardware store to the gps and the cubby.