Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A6
X3 vs. X5 (and remarkably low difference in lease payment)

I am in the market for a new SUV to relace our 2009 Mercedes ML 320 Bluetech (Diesel) which has been a great truck.
Test drove both the X3 and the X5 recenlty. The X5 diesel was very impressive, and would probably be our choice on motors on the X5.
For the X3, I am leaning toward the 35, as the 4 cylinder diesel is a bit less refined and too slow for my tastes, while the 35 engine has always been my favorite BMW engine.
When I option up both cars, including premium, comfort, drivers assistance plus, ACC, etc., even though the X3 is $12,000 cheaper than the comparably equippped X5, the lease payment is only $80 a month less for the X3 (36 months, 10K miles a year, $0 down). This is due to the lower residual value of the X3 (at least with the larger 6 cylinlder engine).

I am now an empty nester, and we don't take family road trips as often, but we do have a big dog who rides in the rear cargo area, and still need the utility of a SUV for longer trips, Home Depot visits, etc. The specs for these two cars show that the X3 is 2 cubic feet bigger in the back than the X5. Is this accurate? Has anyone closely compared the useable space behind the rear seats of these vehicles? How about you dog owners? Any thoughts?

I like the overall luxury, ride quality and performance of the X5 and the torque and economy of the diesel, but it feels a bit too big for our needs. The X3 is not quite as nice in the interior, but has a high fun to drive factor and is a better size for City driving and parking. Given the relatively small difference in the lease cost, price is much less of an issue than I would have thought when I first started looking at these vehicles.

I plan on submitting the same post in the X5 forum to get input from X5 owners, and would greatly appreciate any thoughts, comments and advice.
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: Audi S4
I too was surprise to see that the cargo room for the x3 was bigger than the x5 on the spec sheets. In person I couldn't really tell the difference.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultbruin View Post
I too was surprise to see that the cargo room for the x3 was bigger than the x5 on the spec sheets. In person I couldn't really tell the difference.
I wonder if it is taller with more vertical space than the X5?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by smr View Post
I wonder if it is taller with more vertical space than the X5?
It's based on volume. So even if it's taller that'll mean it's less deep.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i
GO with the X3, because you don't have kids. I've owned both the x5d and now my x3 35i. The fun factor in the X3 tops the x5 by margins. Dont make the wrong move. The 2015 X3 35i M sport with DHP FULLY loaded is where you should be. MSRP about 62k. A good lease price for this with $3000 out of pocket expenses should be about $625-$675. Any lower then that you better hop on it. Now if you were considering the X5 5.0 with the adaptive suspension, I would tell you to get the X5, but this is not in your price range.

Watch my X3 review that has helped about 12 ppl make their decision VERY easy. Its a lil long but worth it, also it has 50k views,

Old 01-21-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnbrn5 View Post
The 2015 X3 35i M sport with DHP FULLY loaded is where you should be. MSRP about 62k. A good lease price for this with $3000 out of pocket expenses should be about $625-$675. Any lower then that you better hop on it. Now if you were considering the X5 5.0 with the adaptive suspension

I haven't seen anything close to a lease in that range, even with aggressive pricing, the quotes are coming in at $800 plus per month.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
i haven't seen anything close to a lease in that range, even with aggressive pricing, the quotes are coming in at $800 plus per month.
this is what i pay, my msrp was 60k flat, i got great pricing

Click image for larger version

Name:	X3 Payment.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	487782
Old 01-21-2015, 02:49 PM

That's a great deal. May I ask what your final purchase price was? And, did it include sales tax? What was your money factor, residual percentage, and total amount leased? In Maryland, the sales tax on the entire purchase price of the vehicle is due at the lease inception.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
That's a great deal. May I ask what your final purchase price was? And, did it include sales tax? What was your money factor, residual percentage, and total amount leased? In Maryland, the sales tax on the entire purchase price of the vehicle is due at the lease inception.
As I write this, the residual percentage on the X3 is around 53%, on a three year lease with 10k miles per year (according to the BMW USA website). This is well below most other leases. For example, a 3-Series sedan currently has a residual percentage of around 63% for an equivalent lease; a full ten percent better. The residual value, as well as the money factor, varies by month at BMW NA.

The low residual percentage on the X3 increases the monthly lease payment a lot. The new X3 is a good vehicle, but the leasing terms are bad right now. Maybe next month the terms will be better.

Last edited by alpinweiss; 01-21-2015 at 07:09 PM.