Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 08-16-2016, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3 xDrive 28i
Buying a Used 2013 X3 Give Me Advice

Well I am finally taking the plunge into BMW.

I am picking up a 2013 X3 xDrive 28i with 45,000mi this weekend; financing, insurance, etc all taken care of. Had a few questions was hoping some people would chime in on:

- When EXACTLY does the 4/50,000 warranty expire? Car was first titled on 11/26/12. Does it go through the end of 2016 if I dont hit 50k or does it go by 1st title date, mfg date, etc really want to know that before I purchase a 3rd party service plan.

- The timing chain "issues" I have seen discussed in my research scare the sh*t out of me tbh, so I want to purchase a Service Plan from Endurance, has anybody else done this? I came across some issues where some BMW owners were put off that Endurance only covers used parts ..... but besides out of pocket this is pretty much our only option right?

- I plan on having the post purchase (seller giving me a 7 day return warranty) inspection done by the local BMW dealership. The most popular mechanic shop in my city works on the German autos but is not specifically BMW certified. I have heard that BMW dealerships are a total rip when it comes to service and repair. How do you guys feel about letting an extremely popular mechanic shop with a top notch reputation service and repair your car instead of a BMW dealer or BMW certified mechanic?

- Should I get a new battery ASAP? Car was mfg almost 4yrs ago, which is "about that time" for most batteries used in domestic cars. The BMW battery seems pretty beefy, what is the lifetime most people are getting out of X3 batteries? I live in a part of the country where waking up at 4am in the middle of winter to find your car wont crank can be a real pain. Would rather just throw a brand new Duralast Platinum sooner rather than later tbh.

- Any other thoughts or anything else I should know with an X3 coming up on 50k?

Thanks for any replies
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our X3 forum, you'll get more feedback in here from other X3 owners.

Tim
Old 08-17-2016, 07:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Your factory warranty will expire on 11/26/16 assuming you do not go pass 50K miles.
The N20's timing chain issue is a noise related issue, most extended warranty will not cover noise complaints.
A reputable service center will be as good as any BMW dealer.
If you want to sleep better at night, get a new battery.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIVAF View Post
Well I am finally taking the plunge into BMW.

I am picking up a 2013 X3 xDrive 28i with 45,000mi this weekend; financing, insurance, etc all taken care of. Had a few questions was hoping some people would chime in on:
The warranty expires when you hit 50,000 miles or when you hit four years from the in service date. Check with a BMW dealer to determine the latter, which might be around Nov 25th or might be earlier.

Your 2013 came with free scheduled maintenance for that same 4 years/50K. Depending on the in service date/service history, you might get lucky with a freebie oil change or whatever at the dealership.

My batteries last way longer than four years. YMMV.

Extended third-party warranties can inspire passionate arguments pro and con. My opinion is that they are generally rip-offs. Be careful.

Dealer service vs independent: For a late-model BMW, only if the independent has full capability to do diagnostics, i.e., the expensive computer.

Congrats on your purchase.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
'17 M3

Last edited by LMC; 08-17-2016 at 10:40 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2013, x3

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search