Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Advice please (regarding a different trio of lights)

This only happens rarely (Once, maybe twice a year)

If my 2005 BMW X3 idles for a long period while running the heat or A/C unit (maybe a half hour?) as soon as I put the car in drive to go, a trio of lights comes on, and it feels as if it is in limp home mode... Yellow Brake light, EML, and the 4x4 light. These lights disappear and the car runs normally again if I shut the car off and let it sit for a few minutes before starting it up again.

After discussing this with a service advisor, she spit-balled the possibility that I could have a battery that is slowly on it's last legs, since supposedly, while idling, the alternator does NOT charge the battery. So if idling for a long time, I could have undervolted a few components, like the wheel angle sensor that can trip a 4x4 light. Cascading down into another system or two that could cause me to put the car in limp home mode.

I probably should consider replacing the battery, as it's an '05 with close to 150,000 miles on it anyways.

Is the battery a difficult replacement? Could I just go into an Advanced Auto parts store and buy one that way to replace it? Or is this something that is tied in with the electronics in some special way that I need to have BMW do this?
Ads by Google
Old 05-28-2012, 08:00 PM

Bump?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
IF you regularly have to idle for 1/2 hour with large draw accessories going, it's a fair bet your battery is not in the best of health and approaching its final days.

Good chance that it's causing those symptoms, so makes sense to replace it and see how you go from there.

See:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=620315
Old 05-29-2012, 05:25 PM

Thanks Supercourse!

I took that link and looked a few other things up. Since, from what I can find, any battery you get is made by one of 3 large manufacturers, I didn't think it would make a terrible difference where I went.

I opted for Sam's Club's Duracell Group49 H8 battery. It supposedly has some more cold cranking amps than the OEM one. The wierd thing is, everywhere I look, the computers list a group 48 or H6 battery that's supposed to be OEM, but it is NOWHERE near as big as my OEM.

The Duracell Group49 or H8 battery is much closer to an exact fit to my OEM, so I opted to get that.

Battery was about $90? And they didn't charge me a thing to install. Took them all of maybe 10 minutes? 15 minutes tops.

Hopefully that's all I needed.

Thanks again!

Edit:
Oh, one nice thing about the OEM Battery, it has a little dot window that is green for a healthy cell, black if it's not fully charged and yellow if it's bad.

Mine was black despite having driven normally on the highway to provide a charge. So, 7 years, and 150,000 miles later, I'm guessing I lucked out and replaced the battery before it gave me real headaches.

Last edited by Wongway; 05-29-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: additional info