Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 06-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 3.5i, 911C4, C230
Dipstick based oil change

Hi,
On my W163 and W203 Mercedes, I imitate the dealer and use a Topsider to pump out the old oil from the dipstick when changing oil. (dealer uses a motorized vacuum pump)

Can I do the same with a E39 2001 530i?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 06-05-2004, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 540i/6
I use a topside oil changer on my e39 540i/6

It works great. One of the fastest, easiest oil changes of any care I've owned. Occasionally, I'll do a traditional drain from the botom.

I think Dave Z. once did an informal comparison between the two methods and determined there was no appreciable difference in how much oil you got out with either method.

Also, the offiicial BMW service notes on the oil change process allow either a "vaccuum method" or the traditional drain.

J24
Old 02-24-2005, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 99 E320, 99 C230K
Exclamation oil change by yourself

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/new...te=1&p=781937#
ROFLI started doing the oil changes myself last year by using the Topsider to syphon the oil out through the dipstick pipe. note that the Topsider can be used to remove oils and also water based liquids on the car and around the house or a boat.

I also went ahead and bought the top of the line oil in the market with about half of the wear index when compared to the top "Supersyn" oils at the shops and about 75% lower wear index of your average oil including some cheap synthetics, as measured by an independent lab. It is made by AMSOIL.

The best thing to do is to use their oil flush chemical bottle before the oil change is done to their product, so that it disolves all the slush from the previous oils of sub par qualities used before.

They have an oil formulation created specifically for European cars. Just go to their site at:

http://synthetic-oil-tech.com/1265580

and type "european" in the search window. You will see the 1 and 12qt sizes of the european specs oil displayed.

If you will be buying for a few cars than it might pay to spend $10 to sign-up to their wholesale customer program where you get the same discount as direct distributors.

Check it out. I have used it and have been a happy camper ever since I switched the oil brand. The car performance improvement and engine running smoothness is visible quite quickly.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:35 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanabara
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/new...te=1&p=781937#
ROFLI started doing the oil changes myself last year by using the Topsider to syphon the oil out through the dipstick pipe. note that the Topsider can be used to remove oils and also water based liquids on the car and around the house or a boat.

I also went ahead and bought the top of the line oil in the market with about half of the wear index when compared to the top "Supersyn" oils at the shops and about 75% lower wear index of your average oil including some cheap synthetics, as measured by an independent lab. It is made by AMSOIL.

The best thing to do is to use their oil flush chemical bottle before the oil change is done to their product, so that it disolves all the slush from the previous oils of sub par qualities used before.

They have an oil formulation created specifically for European cars. Just go to their site at:

http://synthetic-oil-tech.com/1265580

and type "european" in the search window. You will see the 1 and 12qt sizes of the european specs oil displayed.

If you will be buying for a few cars than it might pay to spend $10 to sign-up to their wholesale customer program where you get the same discount as direct distributors.

Check it out. I have used it and have been a happy camper ever since I switched the oil brand. The car performance improvement and engine running smoothness is visible quite quickly.
More AMSOIL spam

Old 02-24-2005, 09:36 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie
Hi,
On my W163 and W203 Mercedes, I imitate the dealer and use a Topsider to pump out the old oil from the dipstick when changing oil. (dealer uses a motorized vacuum pump)

Can I do the same with a E39 2001 530i?

Thanks
Do a search for "extractor" and you find lots'o posts about doing it this way! Next to "what oil should I use", it might be the second most discussed-to-death topic.

Old 02-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Wrenchin'

Mein Auto: E46 M3
After I changed my oil I noticed that it was still rather dark. Is this from the slush build-up ?
Old 03-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
More AMSOIL spam
Agreed, sounds like a damn ad for Amsoil...and probably is!