Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4, Acura TSX
328xi - Technology package vs. Navigation

Hi,

I am confused about the technology package vs. Navigation package. Other than the heads up display, what is the real difference? Am I paying $1,000 just for the heads up display?
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2012, 02:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Yes.
Head up display is expensive.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:30 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitps View Post
Hi,

I am confused about the technology package vs. Navigation package. Other than the heads up display, what is the real difference? Am I paying $1,000 just for the heads up display?
No. You are getting BMW Apps, which is $250 as a stand alone option, and you are getting the smart phone integration (the cradle for the phone under the armrest), which used to be a $125 stand alone option, in addition to the HUD. $950 extra for the Tech package less $250, less $125, for a net of $575 for the HUD.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 12-15-2012, 02:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive
I didn't get the cradle with the tech package however, maybe that's because I have an iPhone 5 so they didn't bother.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:47 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller68 View Post
I didn't get the cradle with the tech package however, maybe that's because I have an iPhone 5 so they didn't bother.
You don't have the receiving connection tray under your armrest for a smart phone? The adapter for specific phones is sold separately.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 12-15-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Also BMW assist with enhanced BT
Old 12-15-2012, 05:53 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
No. You are getting BMW Apps, which is $250 as a stand alone option, and you are getting the smart phone integration (the cradle for the phone under the armrest), which used to be a $125 stand alone option, in addition to the HUD. $950 extra for the Tech package less $250, less $125, for a net of $575 for the HUD.
That is the correct way to look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
Also BMW assist with enhanced BT
The Navigation option comes with BMW Assist, Enhanced Bluetooth & USB, the wide screen, and most of the other Technology Package features except HUD, Apps, and Cradle integration. If one can live without those last 3 features, one can save $950.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4, Acura TSX
What is the advantage of the smart phone cradle? What is it's utility? Can I buy it standalone?
My dilemma is that: there is one car with technology package (but doesn't have rear view camera). There is the second car with Nav. but has the rear view camera. I feel the rear view camera has a lot more utility vs. HUD, Apps and Cradle combined. I have to choose between the two cars.
Also, the one with tech is a luxury line so $2,000 more expensive.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
What is the advantage of the smart phone cradle? What is it's utility? Can I buy it standalone?
My dilemma is that: there is one car with technology package (but doesn't have rear view camera). There is the second car with Nav. but has the rear view camera. I feel the rear view camera has a lot more utility vs. HUD, Apps and Cradle combined. I have to choose between the two cars.
The snap-in adapter has one significant upside over just using the standard USB port and a white Apple cord (iPod Out) and a few significant downsides (trapping phone in armrest, no audible text alerts, no split-screen, etc.).

Most of us deal with the loss of the Apple user interface and adapt to the BMW interface very quickly, and the upsides of not having to jail the iPhone in the armrest and gaining split-screen for our iTunes collections are more important.

We debated this months ago here, screenshots of the varying music screens for reference:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=7076435

If I had to choose between the HUD and the combination of PDC and Rear Camera, I'd take latter.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 12-15-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
You don't have the receiving connection tray under your armrest for a smart phone? The adapter for specific phones is sold separately.
ahhh ok yes I have that. Sorry still learning about all this stuff. Loving my BMW though.

I don't use it though because I forget my cell phone in the car ever time I do.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
If I had to choose between the HUD and the combination of PDC and Rear Camera, I'd take latter.

BJ
Yeah, no doubt. Rear-veiw camera is a real nice option. In this day and age, I'd even say it's indespensible. It's one of those things that is a "must have" if you're spending $40k or more on a car. IMHO.

HUD is definitely not in that category.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
tech package is a waste of money IMO. Get the Nav
Old 12-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
I see virtually no utility to smart phone integration for the previously mentioned reasons. I would choose the car with PDC and rear view camera.

Last edited by tturedraider; 12-15-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
If I had to choose between the HUD and the combination of PDC and Rear Camera, I'd take latter. BJ
I agree totally. Our '06 5er had the HUD and I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I thought I could never live without it. We've had two cars since without it and I can say that I haven't missed it.

My Mustang has a great rear view camera and I can say that now I don't want a car without that feature. When I drive my wife's CTS I truly miss the view that the camera offers. With today's order for the new 3er just placed, we were sure to order the camera. Still, after one last test drive today, we upgraded the NAV to the full Tech pkg. To me, HUD is more a luxury, and the rear camera is more a necessity.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 12-15-2012, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
i had a f30 sport loaner the other day that had hud / nav. i've got pdc on my car (and the loaner had pdc).

at least in my opinion pdc is way more useful than hud. i did not know that hud could really only display speed, nav directions and traffic / speed warnings. for some reason i thought it could show like song titles or radio stations. it seemed almost like a gimmick, i mean for the most part you go with the speed of traffic and you probably do not put a nav destination in all the time. i'd take PDC every day over hud.

i havent tried the rear view camera on an F30 yet, but a lot of people think that pdc alone is probably what you really need. it does seem to be quite accurate.

also if you don't have an iphone 4 i think the cradle is useless. it obviously does nothing for android users, and it doesnt fit the iphone 5.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:58 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
We debated this months ago here, screenshots of the varying music screens for reference:

"The page you requested could not be found"
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
"The page you requested could not be found"
My apologies:

BJ

Old 12-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
i had a f30 sport loaner the other day that had hud / nav. i've got pdc on my car (and the loaner had pdc).

at least in my opinion pdc is way more useful than hud. i did not know that hud could really only display speed, nav directions and traffic / speed warnings. for some reason i thought it could show like song titles or radio stations. it seemed almost like a gimmick, i mean for the most part you go with the speed of traffic and you probably do not put a nav destination in all the time. i'd take PDC every day over hud.

i havent tried the rear view camera on an F30 yet, but a lot of people think that pdc alone is probably what you really need. it does seem to be quite accurate.

also if you don't have an iphone 4 i think the cradle is useless. it obviously does nothing for android users, and it doesnt fit the iphone 5.
If that's all you could get the HUD to do you were doing it wrong.