Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Post Review of NAV (and HUD) on 2013 X3

Picked up my new X3 last Sunday and we headed out on our first road trip this holiday weekend. We drove from Seattle to Portland for this trip (about 2.5 hours). This was my first time using the navigation system for a long distance trip. I thought this quick review might help someone make the decision on choosing NAV and HUD packages.

The first annoyance of the system is that it's too sensitive regarding diverging roads. Anytime along I-5 where there was more than one lane exiting, the NAV system insisted on warning me and making sure I bared right or left to make sure I stayed on I-5. Annoyance? Yes. Tolerable? Yes. Let's move on.

I know the NAV does not speak street names like my Garmin did. So, I was reminded of that annoyance. However, I have HUD! The HUD displayed the graphical details very clearly. More than a mile out from the next turn, the HUD displays a large, yellow, hollow arrow of the direction to the destination (line of sight) and a small arrow above that with distance to next turn/exit. Within one mile roughly it display turn details along with street names--very nice. I can now glance at HUD to remind of what street to look for. The intersection detail is pretty good at showing if there's another street/intersection between my current position and the turn ahead. It also shows a a filled line that empties out as you get to the turn as well as an additional visual indicator.

Voice instructions are ok. It has pretty good timing on coming up to the turn and when to execute the turn (my Garmin sometimes misses that). Again, I wish it spoke street names, but nothing to do about that. I rely on HUD to give me that detail now. I think there's a way to display exit ramp detail in the split screen, but I did not figure that out yet.

With all that said, the NAV successfully got me to my destination and accurately.

Today we went to Mount Hood and back along the gorge. The NAV has a BEAUTIFUL display and great detail of the area. Their idea of 3D perspective is really, really nice. It's a fairly high resolution and shows a 3D relief of the area (hills, mountains, etc.). This is a really nice display and great to have the NAV just follow where you are going. Since we were driving through the mountains, we enabled slit screen current location and now we have altitude information getting constantly updated alongside the NAV display. Road displays were clear including rivers, railroads..., a lot of good information. Display appears to update 3 frames/sec.

Searching for points of interest is still a daunting task and I think we just need practice at it. I tried the Google search and it fails every time. I think I'm missing something here. Does my iPhone need to be connected directly for that function to work?

Given all this information, I would definitely order the NAV system for the X3. The features it provides along with the integration with HUD makes it worth it. Having a larger iDrive display (where you can split up the displays too) along with an extended check control display (which overlaps with the bottom of the tachometer to provide more enhanced information) makes it easier for me to justify the expense of the technology package.

Hope this helps people still weighing the pros and cons of getting the NAV/TECH package. I've still got some more exploring to do though.
Ads by Google
Old 05-28-2012, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 2.8
Other than the screen rez, this unit pales compared to the NAV in my 2006 SC Lexus and my departed 2007 CRV.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Does the HUD "wash out" in sunlight or is it still readable? I am assuming that if you wear polarized sun glasses you see no HUD at all. Nice write up, thanks.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
HUDlight

I can answer that one, the HUD does not wash out (you can alter brightness too).

HOWEVER, in periods of bright sunlight (must be when the car is in a certain orientation with respect to the sunlight direction) you do get a distinct tunelling effect through the windscreen. This must be caused by the recess of the HUD project, it's quite a strange thing. You have to train your brain not to think too much about it otherwise it p1sses you off ;-)

J
Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
project=projector :-)
Old 05-28-2012, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Does the HUD "wash out" in sunlight or is it still readable? I am assuming that if you wear polarized sun glasses you see no HUD at all. Nice write up, thanks.
Correct, with polarized sun glasses you can barely see it unless you look for it. It is just about invisible.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 PM

Agreed with all of the comments. I have a prescription pair of sunglasses that are polarized. The angle completely washes out the HUD for me. Your polaroid lenses will vary since they use different angles, so your mileage will vary. It's just the nature of using LCD which is polarized compared to your own glasses.

The HUD adjusts the brightness pretty rapidly and I was able to see it fine in bright sunlight.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
I just ordered mine with all the goodies, but thought the HUD was a bit of a gimmick. Now you've got me second guessing my decision...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:27 AM

I'll try to get a write up on the HUD late today. I'm glad I get HUD for the integration with NAV and having speed and cruise control displayed. If you almost never use the NAV or cruise control, then your HUD will only display your current speed which is helpful, but not terribly exciting. I really like the way the cruise control puts up an edge indicator in orage (standby) and green (active) on the speedometer for all cars. Add to that the same display when selecting the speed also displays in the dash.

I'm hoping some folks who are working on how to recode the F25 will find ways to enhance the HUD with more information.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: E34 M5, X3 3.5, E39 530i
The HUD is a great feature. I wish it was like the F30 which has blue instead of orange text for mph
Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
So does the tech package (without HUD) have this extended check control which overlaps with the bottom of the tach? Or is that only with HUD?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane.reid View Post
So does the tech package (without HUD) have this extended check control which overlaps with the bottom of the tach? Or is that only with HUD?
It's the navigation system that adds the enhanced check control display. HUD has no impact on that.

Last edited by snowboardjoe; 12-13-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: tpyo