BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Convertible roof stuck - not opening

31K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Millenferdie 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm having a problem with my 54 mini one convertible.

Basically the roof is jammed and won't open at all (not even into 'sunroof mode') Instead of the usual windows coming down, sunroof mode, etc, it made a few clicking sounds in the boot, then went on to make a rather loud noise as if the motor to pull the clips open and the roof back is turning but the clips aren't unclipping at the front. The sound seems to be coming from the central plastic section of the roof. I had read a lot of forums where people have reported the roof opening on just the passengers side, although mine is the complete roof that is jammed. Any ideas on what the fault could be / whether it's an easy fix?!

Thanks.

#4 ·
Ive sorted the problem now ,it was the nylon wheel in the motor in the middle of the roof(the motor that moves the sunroof part)dead easy fix but I couldn't just replace the wheel as BMW don't sell this part I had to buy the whole motor for just under 300 quid.

#5 ·
Roof not opening

Hi, did you find that the motor was work but making a loud clicking noise when operated?
If so was it the drive gear or the plastic gear inside the motor housing that was causing the problem? Got the same dame problem by the sound of it and the sun is shine, typical!!!

#9 ·
Having the same problem with mine. How were you able to get the motor cover off without damaging it? Manual says pry off with a screw driver. I have tried but started leaving scratches in the plastic. Is there an easy way to get that cover off? Thanks for any help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.