Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Jen4BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M Sport
How well does Oyster Nevada wear?

Hello,
I am close to purchasing my first BMW- very excited! I am leaning towards a X3 28i in blue metallic exterior with Oyster Nevada leather (1st choice) or black leather (2nd choice).

Here is my question for those of you who have had Oyster Nevada in previous cars or have it in your current one and may be able to relate some real world wear and tear reports.

What has been your experience with how Oyster Nevada leather wears? Have you had issues with color transfer or staining? Do you find yourself needing to clean it all the time? Would you recommend it?

I have 2 kids ages 5 and 9 and I am a coffee drinker so the potential for a spill is always present. Thanks for the input!
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to pegscrapr Send a message via Yahoo to pegscrapr
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW R1200RT
Yes, Oyster stains easily. If you wear blue jeans, your seats will turn blue. You'll have to wipe them down with a good leather cleaner every time you wash the car.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegscrapr View Post
if you wear blue jeans, your seats will turn blue.
+1

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 05-28-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
Phew.

I got carbon black / black leather, and was thinking the other day when I saw another black X3 with oyster leather how nice it looked.

Glad I stuck to black now, I have dark blue jeans AND kids
Old 05-28-2012, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: E90
Anyone had any similar experience with the sand beige leather, or is it better/worse?
Old 05-28-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Before I purchased my X3 I visited Canadian International Auto Show to kick some tires and to do some back-to-back comparisons of the cars on my short list.

The X3 had the light interior (vinyl if I recall correctly) and the seats showed evidence of staining from the blue jeans of the thousands of arses in and out of the car.

Right then I decided the light interior was off my shopping list especially considering my kids would also do a number on the lighter interior.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj_pooh View Post
Anyone had any similar experience with the sand beige leather, or is it better/worse?
Sand beige is no better and stains show just as much.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: X3
My 14 month old F25 was my 1'st ever vehicle with light leather interior - Oyster Nevada. I was initially intimidated by the prospect of keeping it clean. It does show if you wear dark colored clothing - after some time only. It is easy to see and I use the proprietary BMW leather cleaning products - which works extremely well to restore it to its "factory" state. Now I am very happy and satisfied with the interior - my previous vehicles all had dark "sombre" interiors. For an emergency - keep a quality brand "leather wipe" in the vehicle. Hope this helps!!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
I have Oyster in my X3 and I haven't noticed any staining at all. I do were blue jeans most of the time I am driving it but it hasn't been a problem for me. I do wipe my seats down with leather wipes about every 6 weeks.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to pegscrapr Send a message via Yahoo to pegscrapr
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW R1200RT
I think the Nevada leather is a lot different than the Napa leather in that the Nevada leather is not nearly as soft as the Napa. The Napa leather in my girlfriend's 535 is very sensitive to blue jeans. After just 1 week, they have a blue hue to the seating area.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
We have Oyster Nevada leather in our 2011 F25. Approaching 19,000 miles I see no evidence of discolorization or staining. And I do wear blue jeans! But, I also have cleaned it 3 or 4 times in that period using Griot's products. I was worried about the light color when we ordered the vehicle but the wife prevailed (it is her car) and it has worked out just fine.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I think the light colors are fine as long as you are willing to clean them every so often.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I need advice on purchasing white exterior /tobacco inter versus gray exterior/beige interior on the BMW X 3 series. Any pros or cons to either
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Jen4BMW

Thanks everyone for your input. It sounds like a split decision so far on Oyster's wear characteristics. Personally I know I'll be incredibly anal with TLC the first few years but once the newness wears off I worry I'll end up with light blue not Oyster colored seats.

Also I can comment on beige interiors from personal experience. The seats aren't the problem so much as the floor carpet. If you drink coffee forget beige for sure. Also if you deal with snow and soupy conditions beige takes a beating after just 2 winters even with good rubber mats.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 35i
I've had my blue water metallic / oyster for just under a year. I wipe the seats with a wet wipe every few weeks and the seats look like new. I changed my seat color from black to oyster on the day before my car was made. So glad that I did. They are nice and bright in the winter and cool in the summer.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 28i
One thing you should be aware of (at least this was the case for the 2012 X3, not sure about 2013): If you order beige leather, you will get beige for EVERYTHING in the interior, including carpet, lower dash and door trim, roof posts, headliner, etc. If you order Oyster leather, you will get black carpet and lower door and dash trim, grey headliner and roof posts. For me this was really important to know up front because I did NOT want beige carpet since it really shows the dirt (and coffee spills as mentioned above). I ordered my 2012 X3 with Sparkling Bronze Metallic exterior, Oyster leather, and Fineline Sienna wood and it is a fantastic combination (IMHO). Also, I had the dealer apply the exterior and interior "EnviroGuard NG" protective treatment which includes the leather, carpets and other surfaces. The dealer says there should be no problems with any color transfer to the Oyster leather.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Jen4BMW

Was at my dealership today and CA mentioned a scotch guard treatment that ran $895. Has anyone else popped for this added protection? Was it worth it do you think? It's painful even considering another buck when I am at $50K already but I got $500 over invoice so happy about that. With BMW drive Il'll be under invoice.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
Was at my dealership today and CA mentioned a scotch guard treatment that ran $895. Has anyone else popped for this added protection? Was it worth it do you think? It's painful even considering another buck when I am at $50K already but I got $500 over invoice so happy about that. With BMW drive Il'll be under invoice.
LOL. Scotchgard is $7 a can. Grab 2 cans at Walmart and do it yourself. If you think the dealer is doing something different, you are fooling yourself!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Jen4BMW

Question...let's say hypothetically I go Oyster and where blue jeans several times a week. Over time I get lazy and move my seat cleaning duties from monthly to semi annually. With BMW's special cleaner will I get the seats back to their original color and condition or is there a law of dimmishung returns and over time my seats will look worn and faily discolored? I take very good care of my vehicles but life is busy chasing kids around, working and training for marathons etc so I need to be a realist. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 96Impreza,07Vette,11X335i
My wife wearied of cleaning blue jean stains from our '11 X3's Oyster driver's seat so she put a pillow on the seat. Car is white, have had it seven months, 10K miles, kids, dogs, hauling gardening/house stuff, looks good. I'd get AlpineWhite/Oyster again.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
My BMW has black Novillo leather, however I got my wife a new CR-V with a very light beige leather that is similar in color to BMW Oyster. I initially didn't do any preventative maintenance, and after 2 weeks, there was substantial dye transfer. After an hour of careful scrubbing with a Woolite 10:1 mix, I was able to get it back to almost factory condition.

I applied a few coats of Leather Master Protectant to the seats. After a few weeks, the transfer comes back, but I used Griot's Leather Care Spray on a soft white cloth, and the dye comes right off.

The right protection + the right cleaner will make the dye transfer a non-issue, in my recent experience.

Last edited by SamS; 06-05-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: E34 M5, X3 3.5, E39 530i
I have to agree that the oyster is nice but my wife is staining then blue with her jeans. The seat covers bmw makes fit lousy and don't cover the seat back. They are friendly with sport seats either.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: x3
I've had my x3 with oyster for 3-4 weeks now. I have not had any problems with staining. I went for my vehicle inspection and of course the mechanic left a dirty hand print inside the door! A little water on a napkin cleaned it right off. Phew.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:51 AM

Mein Auto: F25 35D MSport
I can't help thinking that dye transfer is a fault with the jeans....it's not like the BMW leather is magically sucking the dye from jeans. If you lived a Miami Vice era room with white sofas I expect you'd have dye transfer problems there too. Jeans should hold their dye but most don't.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to BUYSELLFIL Send a message via Yahoo to BUYSELLFIL Send a message via Skype™ to BUYSELLFIL
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
I have Oyster in my X3 and I haven't noticed any staining at all. I do were blue jeans most of the time I am driving it but it hasn't been a problem for me. I do wipe my seats down with leather wipes about every 6 weeks.
You can ask your local dealership about a treatment they can do that is a paint, wheel and fabric protection called Resitall and I have heard if you or the dealership can't get out a stain, paint blemish or wheel staining from brake dust they will attempt to restore or replace/fix. It was well worth the money.