Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3
Rodents

When we go purchaesd our 2007 CPO X3 it had been sitting at the dealer for a while. Not long after we got it I popped the retainers on the cabin air filter just to check the drain holes since they are one source of creating SAV swimming pools. I found what had been a mouse nest at one end of the tray so made it go away.

Flash forward 22K miles and the to the third oil change I just did and my decision to put in a new air filter. The old filter was really dirty and underneath it was a really huge pile of grass, leaves, and pieces of pine cones - virtuallly everything necessary to make a nice home if you are a mouse or chipmunk so made that go away as well.

So, moral is: if you SAV is going to live outside like ours does, best to check under the filters at least once a year. For the air filter I did loosen the clamp to the mass air flow sensor but didn't need to disconnect it from the air box cover. Just undo the 4 snaps and you can open the cover enough to swop filters and vacuum the box clean.
Ads by Google