Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 Sportwagon
Thinking about a Gran Turismo

I'm in the market for a new BMW...lease is up soon on my 2010 Sport Wagon, and I'm looking for something a bit bigger. My initial consideration was for a 535i xdrive sedan, but my dealer priced a GT and for European delivery (something I've always wanted to do and will this year!), there's just $115 difference between the two. For size and comfort, I'm seriously considering the GT. Any advice?
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35i
I was originally thinking about a 5 series wagon until BMW decided not to bring them to the US. Looked at the 550 sedan but wound up buying a 550 GT xDrive and am extremely happy with how things worked out.

As you probably know, the GT is essentially a 7 series with a hatch back and a 5 series price tag. For my needs, the size, performance, luxury and versatility make this the perfect car. I'm 8,000 miles in now. The car has performed flawlessly, and I absolutely love driving it. I'll almost certainly get another one when I get the new car bug again.

In terms of what you should know, make sure you've done your research on deals and financing if you're going through BMWFS. I picked up mine a year ago, and the residuals and money factor available at the time meant it was actually cheaper to pick up a 550 than it was a 535.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
best decision you could make...
feel free to search my posts regarding, the incredible diversity the GT affords you, handles like a 5 desies sedan, as comfortable as a 7 series and has the utility of an X5..
Cant beat it.. my favorite BMW to date...

Also check out Capobranco's posts as well... his high regard for the GT is what got me over the hump initially..

The GT initially came to the USA as a 550, 2 wheel drive, 4 seater only these limitations drastically hurt its initial sales...as the 550 was expensive for many and already included the 5000 dollar luxury back seat package and on top of it no Xdrive... so they really limited its salability...

Now that it is available in a 535 and with drive and 5 seats there has definitely been an increase in sales and interest....

Of course there are those that just don't like the look of it..

Personally i love EVERYTHING about my GT..except the trapezoid tail pipes.....

MP

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 05-29-2012, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i & 2012 535x GT
Many of us started our search by looking at the 5 series and then saw the advantage of upgrading for a small, and sometimes quite similar price - depending on options. In my opinion, the GT offers much more bang for the buck and much improved comfort.

Make sure however to test-drive a few and that you like the design (especially the back that many non-GT owners complain about). Overall it is a great, spacious car, with few downsides.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Thanks, folks, for your replies. Very helpful. Just a couple more questions...on the specs, it says the GT is about 4" higher than the 5 series sedan and 3" higher than the 7 series. Is that head room or is it a vehicle that is higher off the ground? I'm only 5'2" and do not want to climb into a car. Not sure I'll be able to test-drive. Local dealer does not stock. Pittsburgh dealer does not list any in inventory. Rockville, MD is 2 1/2 hr drive. That's a maybe.

Also, my dealer (he's also a client so I'm committed) did not move off MSRP for base price or options. Can anyone give me ballpark on dealer flexibility? KBB says $3K or so. Do not want to create pricing problem with my dealer/client, but also do not want to pay full boat. Many thanks.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35i
Take a look a the Amex / USAA / Zag car buying sites to build the car to your specs and get a quote from a few dealers. It may not be the absolute rock bottom price you can find, but is generally will get you a very good price. Your dealer may even participate in the program or at least match or come close to the deal you're offered which potentially takes any sensitivity out of a negotiation with your client.

When I bought mine, I was substantially below invoice and maybe $5k below MSRP - even if the same incentives are no longer available, you should be able to do much, much better than MSRP.

I wouldn't worry about having to climb into the car. The seat is maybe 1" higher than a 7 series sedan and the rest is in additional headroom.

Last edited by LowerEast; 05-29-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT
The GT does sit a little higher than the regular sedan lines, but still lower than the X3/X5/X6. It was a conscious design decision by BMW to make the car easier to get in/out of and offer a "command" viewing/driving perspective on the road. If you get the comfort seats they can be adjusted up/down by a few inches to customize the ride height to your needs. Personally I find the GT to be the easiest car I've ever driven to get in and out of, but I am 5'11".

+1 on previous comments regarding 7 series comparisons. If you compare the GT interior to that of the 7 and 5 sedans, it's really obvious that BMW based the GT on the 7, but gave the model a 5 designation (and price). Be forewarned that the GT does have its share of detractors, not unlike the X6, though I suspect most of them have never seen a GT in person, let alone driven or ridden in one. Once you have, you'll likely find it to be the most spacious, comfortable, and versatile of the BMW lineup.

Re: pricing, I think I paid $7-$8k under the sticker price, after a fair amount of negotiating, for the 2011 model when it was first available. At the time, 2010 models were advertised for a lot less than that.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
My 2012

Here is a shot of mine all black and shiney.

Not that I'm into the all black look, but the front end screemed for a change.

The white car to the left is a 3 series so you may be able to get a little feel for the extra height. It really is not that obvious. I actually find the feeling that there is something extra behind me more distressing. And I came from an F-150 King Cab!

FWIW
DLM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0444.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	327083  

Last edited by dmunz; 05-29-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 05-29-2012, 07:04 PM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
Loganradio, everyone has given you some great insight. Check out TrueCar.com !! They give you MSRP, Dealer Invoice, actual Dealer Cost, and what is a good price to pay. Their data is given at the national, regional, and local levels. I found their numbers to be pretty accurate.

I can't imagine buying a car from a client - the car sales relationship is difficult enough. Must you? Seems like you could either lose a client or overpay for a car.

I had a 2008 535xi Sport Wagon and traded it for a 2012 535xi GT. I liked the Wagon, but I LOVE the GT. The differences are very significant. The GT is better in every way - better on gas mileage, more quiet, technologically more advanced, sportier to drive, more cargo capacity, more luxurious, better riding, better back seat, better climate control and climate control interface, I could go on and on.

The command seating is totally comfortable. As you've probably seen in other threads, the GT "drives small". Even though there is noticeably more space inside, you don't feel like you're driving a large vehicle.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
I have a 2011 535xi GT and I love it for all the reasons that starryeyed has listed. I couldn't have said it better.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 AM

Wow! Thank you all so much for your input! Dmunz, your photo is a HUGE help, provides the perspective I needed. Regarding buying from a client, Starryeyed, it will be an awkward negotiation, but driving around the area in another dealer's BWM will make it worse. I bought an 2004 Audi Allroad from a dealer in an adjacent county to have my local dealer make it painful for me with service issues. As name implies, I'm in radio. We deal with all auto dealers, and they are a very competitive group...indeed. I did a pricing search on Amex and will probably test drive a GT this weekend in Maryland. I notified my dealer that I would be pricing elsewhere but would be happy to sit down with him to discuss differences between quotes to see if we could come to terms. He shot me back a terse reply. He's the GM of the BMW side of this dealership, but the owner is a terrific guy and a friend. Will do my best to find middle ground. Will do TrueCar.com pricing now. Many thanks for your feedback and suggestions. I'm pretty set on the 2013 GT. Also, buying out lease on my 2010 328 xi Sport Wagon, so I'll be a dual-BMW household!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
If you can afford to wait, and the airfare doesn't scare you, you could consider European delivery in Munich. You get a no-hassle significant discount, and a vacation (well, actually, you can pay them about 70 euros after delivery, and they'll drive it to the exporter for you). While there on your delivery day, you get a lot of perks as well. Then, instead of having it redelivered to your local dealer, you have the choice of having it delivered to the Performance Center in SC where they'll pay for a night in the hotel, meals, a factory tour, and a couple of hours on the track (in one of their cars, so you don't mess up yours!).

Most places will negotiate on any options you want off the European delivery price (which is on the 'stock' car). Now, if the dealer is hungry, you might get a similar deal on a vehicle off the lot, but by ordering it exactly the way you want, it is a truly individualized thing rather than a compromise with either too much or too little content.