Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
In answer to the OP, I have no problem with the ASS (and yes I understand the joke here). It works, it is badly implemented by BMW (with shuddering stops and obvious restarts) but it does not get in the way of my driving on a day to day basis. When it does, I push a button and it is off. Trivial and easy to do. If it saves 0.1% then that is fine with me. I do not need to waste ANY fuel however small it may be. Just wish BMW had not implemented it so badly!!

Last edited by whitby; 10-13-2012 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Reworded poor English.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix Carbon Black
Smile auto-stop

I got used to it after a couple of weeks. Frankly, on my gorgeous 2013 535i x Drive it starts incredibly smoothly. Every time that I think it deprives some sheik who wants to kill of us extra revenue, it makes me smile.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530CE View Post
I suppose I could but I use Sport mode a lot anyway due to all the hills around here so I'm moving the shifter back and forth anyway. There are some conditions it's appropriate and others its not. I think if I shut it off I wouldn't bother to reach up and turn it on when it would be of value.
My car is 5 months old and I'm pretty used to it. This is my 9th and so far hands down favorite BMW
You realize that moving the shifter only changes the shift points and does not adjust the suspension to sport mode. To do that you need to move the button next to the shifter up to the sport mode position.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012-535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
You realize that moving the shifter only changes the shift points and does not adjust the suspension to sport mode. To do that you need to move the button next to the shifter up to the sport mode position.
I am aware of that and I'm usually doing it to maintain my downhill speed or to just keep it from shutting off when I don't want it to. It's funny you brought that up because yesterday I was looking at the sport button and thinking "hey, I haven't used that for while and it's time for some fun". So some back Hill Country roads fixed all that this morning. All is well. And thanks.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
I don't mind it

I had a new Mercedes 300C 4Matic for a week as a rental. It had it. I really don't notice it much. I believe you can code the car so that the car will start with however you last set it.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i M Sport
I tried to warm up to ASS but find it just ruins the BMW driving experience for me. If it were seamless and not noticeable then it would be okay. I have had passengers panic because they thought the car stalled while waiting to turn left at an intersection. The shuttering and random nature of the engine startup and shut down, depending on various conditions, is annoying and needs much improvement to be acceptable to me.

I drive in DS mode (which disables ASS) and sport or sport+ mode 95% of the time and use Eco Pro only on long highway trips and have achieved incredible gas mileage for such a large and powerful car.

The next time I am at my dealer I will have them change the software to allow me to keep ASS disabled.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix M-sport
I didn't make it to the dealer yet to recode my A.S.S. Yesterday I forgot to turn it off, I was at a light inching forward into a turn and the car failed to restart. I had to place the car in park to restart. Missed the light and the guy behind me wanted to kill me. On the way home I was concerned and tried to duplicate this failure. I successfully duplicated it by repeatively inching forward from dead stops....can't wait to get my car recoded. This is a safety concern imo.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
I didn't make it to the dealer yet to recode my A.S.S. Yesterday I forgot to turn it off, I was at a light inching forward into a turn and the car failed to restart. I had to place the car in park to restart. Missed the light and the guy behind me wanted to kill me. On the way home I was concerned and tried to duplicate this failure. I successfully duplicated it by repeatively inching forward from dead stops....can't wait to get my car recoded. This is a safety concern imo.
If you let go of the brakes while the engine is shutting down, it will stall. In cases like that, either I dont inch up, or I put the car in DS mode, or I hit the ASS button.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 535 F10 M Sport
I have had it in a loaner twice now. It doesn't bother me for the most part as I do enjoy not wasting gas. However, passengers seemed really annoyed by it. The 'jerk' it gives at start-up is annoying and far from smooth. I'd suspect that in future models this will be addressed.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you let go of the brakes while the engine is shutting down, it will stall. In cases like that, either I dont inch up, or I put the car in DS mode, or I hit the ASS button.
Yeap, just tried it. That's what it does. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
I like it

I'm amazed that I'm getting 5 MPG more in my 535i than my Infiniti M35 under similar driving conditions- while the 5 is quicker and faster and much more fun. ASS must have something to do with this- and it's a small price to pay IMHO.

Plus it's hard on an engine to idle at long lights or take out windows- just wasting gas, generating heat, polluting the air while at a dead stop. So it takes a little getting used to...?? I think it's a plus...