Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to gmarch Send a message via AIM to gmarch Send a message via Yahoo to gmarch
Mein Auto: 1999 M Roadster
X3 internal bike rack question

Hi Folks...

Does anyone know if the internal bike rack for the X3 will support a time trial / triathlon bike? These are bikes with the aerobars rather than regular road handlebars.

I'm asking because the pictures that BMW shows are with a mountain bike which is a lot shorter in the front than the tri bikes.

Thanks,

/greg
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2009, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT sport
I'm not sure on the tri bike (I still do tris on a regular road bike).
If you just fold down your rear seats and try and put your bike back there, will it fit? That is, will you be able to close the hatch?
I know that my girlfriend's relatively small bike just fits so that the back wheel is almost touching the front passenger seat, and the brake levers touch the hatch when closed - if she had aero bars, I guess I'd have to push the front passenger seat forward to accomodate.

Based on a suggestion from another post on this forum, I didn't spend the big bucks on the BMW rack.
Here's what I did instead - I got this fork mount:
http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Rack...3351495&sr=8-1
I found that rack has good open holes which I was able to tie to the cargo loops in the floor using a good tie down strap. Then with another tie strap, I could strap the bike nicely to the side of the cargo area using the back seat grab handle and the metal loop that's exposed when folding down the rear seat.

The end result is a solution that I think is better than the BMW rack! It's way cheaper, and it secured the bike really well. Also, this way I get the bike as close to the wall as possible, which opens up the rest of the cargo space better. When traveling with 3 people and 3 bikes to Wildflower, the extra space was needed!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
I have the internal bike rack and use it for two bikes. One is too long to fit in straight, so I have set up the bars and holders so it sits at an angle. The rear wheel goes into the space between the driver's seat back and the door post while the front wheel and handlebar just clears the rear hatch. The second bike is behind the passenger's seat and almost straight. (Is this at all clear? ) I also have to remove one of the bike's seats.

A little creative geometry seems to work, at least for us.
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to gmarch Send a message via AIM to gmarch Send a message via Yahoo to gmarch
Quote:
Originally Posted by superloud View Post
I'm not sure on the tri bike (I still do tris on a regular road bike).
If you just fold down your rear seats and try and put your bike back there, will it fit? That is, will you be able to close the hatch?
Doh! Didn't think of that. Good idea.

Quote:
Based on a suggestion from another post on this forum, I didn't spend the big bucks on the BMW rack.
Here's what I did instead - I got this fork mount:
http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Rack...3351495&sr=8-1
I found that rack has good open holes which I was able to tie to the cargo loops in the floor using a good tie down strap. Then with another tie strap, I could strap the bike nicely to the side of the cargo area using the back seat grab handle and the metal loop that's exposed when folding down the rear seat.
Did you have a bar going across that this straps to? (I think I might clamp it even) If so, where did you get the bar? Is it a BMW part?

Quote:
When traveling with 3 people and 3 bikes to Wildflower, the extra space was needed!
Wildflower is on my list of to-do races if I ever get to one on the west coast! I can envision three bikes, but not three bikes, tri gear AND three people. How did you do that?

Thanks!

/greg
Old 05-26-2009, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarch View Post
Doh! Didn't think of that. Good idea.

Did you have a bar going across that this straps to? (I think I might clamp it even) If so, where did you get the bar? Is it a BMW part?

Wildflower is on my list of to-do races if I ever get to one on the west coast! I can envision three bikes, but not three bikes, tri gear AND three people. How did you do that?

Thanks!

/greg
I started this thread not long ago - it was a tight squeeze but I was stoked to be able to fit so much gear:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=362222

So there was only one bike in the X3, and the other two on the roof

Let me try and describe a bit better how I strapped the bike inside the X3. There was no bar, here's everything I used:
-2 of the BMW cargo loops that slide fwd/back in the cargo floor grooves
-the fork mount linked to in my previous post
-2 nylon tie straps, the kind you can get at any hardware store. They're basically a metal hook on a long nylon strap, and another hook on a short strap attached to a friction buckle (if that's what you call it?). You feed the long strap from the first hook through the buckle and you can pull it as tight as you want. They are good for like hundreds of pounds I think.

Ok, so picture this...
-take off your front wheel
-take off your seat (or you might get away with just lowering it)
-attach the fork mount to your front forks. You could maybe do all this without the fork mount, but I didn't want to have any bad stresses on my forks, so I think it's way better to use it.
-put your bike in the back of your X3, forks facing you, and push the bike over to your right until your pedal touches the car wall. The bike should be able to balance there on its own, standing on the fork mount. Basically, this is the position that you want to hold your bike in, so make sure the hatch can close (this is still TBD with your tri bike).
-now take your BMW cargo loops, and position them left and right of the fork mount. In other words, the left cargo loop, your forks, and your right cargo loop are in line.
-take one cargo strap, and hook it to the fork mount, feed the long nylon strap through one BMW floor loop, and across and through the other floor loop, and then hook it using the buckle to the other side of the fork mount. Pull the strap as tight as you can...does this make any sense? now your forks will be held pretty good. Definitely not good enough to leave that way, this next strap is really the one that does the holding.
-with the 2nd strap, hook onto the metal loop in the wall (probably near your crank) which was exposed when you folded your seat down. Wrap the nylon strap a couple times around the seat tube of your bike frame and then buckle the strap up to the rear passenger grab handle and pull it nice and tight.

The end result is that your bike is held pretty darn good, up against the right wall. You may want to play around a bit with the positioning of your pedals to get it the way you like. I found it worked well when the pedal pushed kind of against the wheel well.

That's about it. This worked great for me for a few hundred miles of driving without any hint of the bike moving or rattling around or anything. The other nice thing is that once you're done, it all comes out easy and takes almost no space. In fact, these nylon straps are staples anyways which I just leave in my car at all times.

hope that helps!

Last edited by superloud; 05-26-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the write up. I think I've got the picture...

I tried getting my P2C in the back of the X3. No go. First off, the seat would have to come off, and with the setup on the P2C, that is not an easy task. And a torque wrench is mandatory given the carbon fiber involved. Second, the aerobars look like they will also need to be removed in order to fit. Although, I can't confirm that since I couldn't get the bike in without taking the seat off.

I have a Thule (Sportworks) trailer hitch rack that I really like, but I also really don't like what needs to be done to get a hitch on the X3, and I'm NOT paying for an OEM one because I got to experience the BMW cost on my old X5. So, I decided to bite the bullet and get a Thule roof rack in pieces off Ebay (saved about $250 - hope all the parts come!). I can also switch that to my 540 if I need to. Couldn't do that with the hitch rack.

Thanks again for the help...

/greg
Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Hitchless Bike rack

Does anyone know if the hitchless bike rack for the X5 also work for the X3? I have read that the supports are adjustable. I have a 2013 X3.