Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 428i x-drive coupe
Is there a menu of options?

I'm fascinated by this whole coding thing. Its very cool and although I'm pretty tech savvy, I don't know if it is something I'd feel comfortable taking on. I've spend a bit of time on this forum but most of the stuff is very specific and way over my head.

Is there a post somewhere that highlights what is actually possible? A "menu" of options or something? I've only had my car a week but the things I'm interested in so far is:

Mirrors auto-fold at lock and unfold and unlock (car does have a button)
Disable nag screen on iDrive startup
ASS does not automatically turn on when I switch to EcoMode.

I'm sure if there was a list somewhere, I'd be blown away by what is possible and want even more stuff but for now, I'm just not sure where to turn without really getting way more into this than I probably should.
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2014, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535i US
All options no factory ever. Each function that you do not have to activate yourself. Just you ENET cable and E-Sys. Everything you have written on the forum. Feature that you can activate written well. You must enter HU_CIC module to activate the menu options.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M135i
You can do the things that you list. It isn't that hard to do, but a wrong turn, like "code defaults" will have you on a tow truck back to the local dealership. There is also a question of whether coding affects your warranty or not - conventional wisdom is that it doesn't, but it is not wise to use factory level tools without sufficient knowledge to use them safely - basically, you need the $ to fix the problem if you break it.

That said, if you are tech savvy / computer literate, the skills you need can be learned in an afternoon. It isn't hard, but it is properly scary the first time you code something, for fear of breaking a 4 figure component (or worse).

Weigh up how much you want the features with how annoying it is to not have them. In my own car, I coded stop start to remember the last setting, enabled enhanced Bluetooth for media streaming and pairing two phones, and set the radio to switch off when I open the door with the ignition off. Those changes were worth having, and in the end, I did them all without changing the vehicle order, so that the dealer should be unaware of my intervention
Old 10-17-2014, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 428i x-drive coupe
Thanks for the responses so far. Are there people/business that do this professional where one can just pay to have a "pro" do it and have the work guaranteed or something?
Wiggis, the things you mentioned are all great actually. My car does remember ASS by default but it automatically turns on if you switch to EcoPro. That isn't too bad but I'd probably correct it if possible. MY2015 of the 428 added BT audo streaming as standard as well so I have that. The radio turning off and pairing multiple phones are both cool and things I'd want to do. I feel like if there was a business out there that you literally walked into that had a menu of options that you checked off to get whatever you wanted coded - it would do really well!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F11 530d xDrive -12
Sorry, you can't prevent eco pro to turn on automatic start/stop.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i (F30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybhh View Post
Thanks for the responses so far. Are there people/business that do this professional where one can just pay to have a "pro" do it and have the work guaranteed or something?
Wiggis, the things you mentioned are all great actually. My car does remember ASS by default but it automatically turns on if you switch to EcoPro. That isn't too bad but I'd probably correct it if possible. MY2015 of the 428 added BT audo streaming as standard as well so I have that. The radio turning off and pairing multiple phones are both cool and things I'd want to do. I feel like if there was a business out there that you literally walked into that had a menu of options that you checked off to get whatever you wanted coded - it would do really well!
While I am positive you can find someone in the greater NYC area to do coding, it really is not that difficult. After I did some reading of this forum and its F30 brethren (http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/tags.php?tag=f30+forum), I ordered the necessary E-Net cable (costs about $20), got a link from ShawnSheridan for both the E-Sys program and needed PsZdData files and then down loaded, I tried my hand at coding. Sure, there was the "sweaty palms" syndrome when you start up, but there is plenty of good advice on this forum. While no where near an expert, the assistance provided has allowed me to move qwuickly beyond the "novice" level.

BTW, check out this thread for several "cheat sheets" which provide a fairly extensive menu of what is possible through coding:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=794469

Hope this helps!

2014 328i |Premium| Technology| Cold Weather| Harmon Kardon Stereo| Manual|
BMW CCA