Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
E85 3.0 I to 3.0 SI Manifold and software conversion, programming

I have a 2007 E85 3.0I Automatic and have reading into and testing the software available on the internet INPA, WINFKP etc. I established the following goals.

1. Learn the basic tools for general maintenance.
2. Perform a few basic Coding upgrades, softtop controls, lights etc.
3. Long term I would like to change intake manifold and flash SI software into the DME.

With the help found in these forums step one was easily achieved, only after I stopped chasing full English versions of software and scrip's that don't exist.

I have also managed to perform some coding today, but only partially successful. One of the codes worked and the other did not. Using NCS & NCS for dummies, I updated the settings that allow the keyfob to close the soft top while turning on the Autodoor lock at 15 KPH did not work. I'm not sure I coded both of the required modules. I'll work on this.

I also updated the DME software a few weeks ago using WINFKP. This was a simple BMW software upgrade path, nothing special. Big change in the car, mostly throttle response and I suspect from the exhaust note a slight change in timming. Using INPA and had already reset adaptations but the changes were not as dramatic. Fuel consumption is about the same maybe a little better when I control my right foot. I can do better than 32 MPG but usually average 29-30. Lots of interstate driving. The software flash did take two tries and I have lost the CODING on the DME giving me an error in INPA about being in basic mode. No lights and runs good. I probably need to read up on fixing this.

Long term, updating DME to 3.0 SI software, the E85 SI and I are very similar. everything about the car except intake manifold, front brakes, Torque converter, rear differential ratio and software is the same. This creates a really tempting situation.

I've read that many people have tried to install 330 software into a 225, but I have only read one thread were they claim success. It seems like WINFKP will allow flashing the SI code into the DME but it seems like a few other parameters need to be changed need to be made to areas of the DME that the standard tools to not allow. Are these parameters "the wall" for this upgrade?

If I go through this, I do not want a "tuned" dme, it's a BMW tune or nothing for me.

I'm new to the BMW scene but not new to computers or cars, just been a long time since I tinkered with a car. The last time I got greasy was 30 years ago and the car had a carburettor with barrels big enough to suck down tennis balls
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2013, 05:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW F11 530i
The other parameters to be changed should be the power class, both for DME and CAS.

Read my tread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=694166

Naturally parameters for my car (DME: varianten_config; CASwr_class) could have a different name from yours.
At the end. Please note that my DME hasn't yet tuned by anyone but the yours i think yes. So you could ask a tuner for changing blocked parameters and after you could flash your DME with "si" firmware
Old 09-23-2013, 05:40 PM

Maisav,

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I have read the posts regarding your exploits with the 528 F11. Keep up the good work!

Regarding my E85, I have read in another forum that I need to change the following after flashing the DME with 330 software: (This was for an E90 with the N52)

in CAS change CLASS_PWR keine > klasse_2
in DME change OLULCODIERUNG wert_00 > wert_02

I've seen these values in the NCSEXPERT Trace Files but I have not attempted to make modifications, not ready yet. Can these be changed with NCSEXPERT or Tool32?

I'm still waiting to hear from someone that this conversion is possible and it's already been performed before I take additional steps. It seems safe to say the 3 stage manifold swap works but the gain is minimal without the DME software change.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 PM

For my experience those values are blocked with esys. So i think the same for you with NCSexpert.
But, i repeat, you should verify if a tuner can change those parameters with an external programmer (by OBD or by BDM). I think yes. My DME, unfortunately, can't be read by any programmer.
You could, before, verify to change them with NCSexpert. If you will be able, you can go forward with other steps. You could change them unless start the engine, if you fear for damages. But because i changed CAS pwr_class, i know that engine runs into power limited mode, unless damages.
For three stages intake manifold i can tell you that i bought it about 3 months ago (i thought my flashing DME was totally successfull) and the car, unless 528i firmware, then with its own original firmware, has working very good... It's more reactive and quick. Yes the gain isn't very big but i assure you that it runs much better... When DISA valves start working it is like having two little turbo...

Last edited by maisav; 09-24-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:49 PM

OK, I'll keep digging into the blocked values and start looking for a new manifold.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0i
I installed the 3.0si manifold in my 3.0i this summer. Got a nice little boost but still waiting for someone to figure out how to code the DME to get the full 40 HP increase.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstic View Post
I installed the 3.0si manifold in my 3.0i this summer. Got a nice little boost but still waiting for someone to figure out how to code the DME to get the full 40 HP increase.
First of all you have to verify if your car and 3.0 si have both the same ECU.
If yes go to DME and try to FDL code DME to change varianten_config from wert=00 to wert=02. If change will be saved into ECU you are very lucky because your ECU hasn't working time antituning.
Then FDL code CAS to change pwr_class from UL to OL.
At the END you have to flash DME.
However i know the procedure for Fxx chassis, using esys. I don't know with ncs expert the right name for those commands
Old 12-12-2013, 02:54 PM

I have NCS and all the other tools for coding but the problem is that I don't know which file to flash the DME with. I will try and follow the guide that you guys posted and see where it takes me, but I am fearul of bricking my ECU. I would be a lot more comfortable if someone with more knowledge than me had done a Z4 and I could learn from them. The only Z4's I have read about that have been upgraded with the manifold were tuned by AA or some other non-BMW software to get the extra HP.

BTW, I have a 2006 BMW z4 3.0i and it has the same ECU as the 3.0si.
Can you tell me where I can get e-sys and the data files that may go with it? Send me PM if it is not cool to post in forum. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:10 PM

For my knowledge, esys and PSdZdata don't work for Exx chassis.
However, have you verified if you can change those values into DME and CAS? If not you need to unlock DME for working time antituning!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:58 AM

I will try and change those values with NCS and get back to you. Thanks for the help.

Will changing those values be the first step, or is there more to do beyond that to get the same tune as the 3.0si?
Old 12-14-2013, 11:02 AM

They are the condition to make the 3.0si firmware working
Old 12-14-2013, 11:08 AM

How do you feel, Jstic, the car after 3 stages manifold installation?
On the mine, i feel two little turbo effects at 2500 and 4000 RPM and i find the car more reactive during accelerations starting from 0 km/h but more at middle speeds with high gear ratios...
I find the engine sound more aggressive
Old 12-14-2013, 11:27 AM

Same here, absolutely a power increase at 2500 RPM, and about 4500 as well. Definitely a little more growl to the engine sound and a noticeable difference in overall acceleration from the start. Problem is that it is not a smooth acceleration band, and I think that is where the software will help and give me the few remaining HP to be had from this conversion. There was a thread on this in another forum where a dyno test was done after the manifold conversion, but before the final software tune and the car(Z4) increased from 215 HP to 229 HP with just the manifold conversion.

I got a used manifold from a 2008 Z4 3.0si for about $250 and sold my original manifold for $100, it was worth every penny so far. Very easy install, took about 90 minutes.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:58 AM

My car, instead, has a better smoothtalker accelerations band. But i don't think it gained 14 hp.... I will verify after the winter; last March i made some dyno..
However you are lucky because you spent few money.
For N53B30 engine (the mine) for F10/F11 i didn't find a used manifold so i bought all new: 1.150 euro with installation !!!
Last thing, Jstic: if you will reach to change both pwr_class (CAS) and varianten_config (DME), you will notice that the car works in safe mode. It's normal!! Because you need to upgrade the firmware for 3.0si. The same if you will reach to change only per_class into CAS. Because DME varianten_congig and the firmware expect the old pwr_class value.
Then you have only to change back to old values... And wait same minutes before start the engine. All will come back working
Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 AM

My Z4 doesn't seem to have a CAS module, is that the same as the EWS module, anyone?
Old 12-20-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstic View Post
My Z4 doesn't seem to have a CAS module, is that the same as the EWS module, anyone?
it could be!
let search the pwr_class into its coding file
Old 12-20-2013, 11:43 AM

Found the pwr_class parameter in DME trace file, but not finding anything equivalent to a CAS module yet. Nothing in EWS trace file that is similar. Still working on it, gotta get to my winter garage in the next few days to see if I can change any of these values.

In DME there is a warning that "changes may require STAT_BSZ_WERT=0". Have not been able to find STAT_BSZ parameter.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:53 AM

Which values could you use for pwr_class into DME?
And into EWS did you found a varianten_config command or similar?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:08 PM

Read here Jstic! The first post contains instructions for Exx chassis.
Try finding those commands
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477020
Old 01-20-2015, 09:37 AM

I finally installed the three stage manifold. Big improvement. Now working on the SI software needed to make it work correctly.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:36 AM

I never got beyond the manifold installation. Am happy with the extra power, but always wanted to find an easy way to flash the software. Let us know how you make out. thanks
Old 01-21-2015, 09:16 AM

I've been doing a lot of research on the ECU side. I'm getting close to understanding enough to ask forum members intelligent questions.

I've been digging around ECU dumps from an I and SI and the maps and the data is very similar. In fact if you study the Data files you will notice that the OPA (program) file is the same for both models and the ODA (data) file is very similar. Only about 3,000 bytes difference between the two and much of that is in maps. I don't have any of the definition files (.xdf, .al2 etc) that many of the real tuners have so I'm working without any guide. Even my IDA program is too old to have the ability to disassemble the code. Probably been 10 years since I have used it to "modify" the function of existing software.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:02 PM

I did it

I finnally managed to get the 3.0si software into my 3.0. Not exactly how I intended but I managed to inject the entire parameter section of the si code into my DME. I spliced the code directly into the flash. I used the ODA file for the 3.0si less the file header and a parameter that defines the power class. I have 100 plus miles on the program and the car runs great. I know know how to use this information to create a ODA file that winfkp can flash but not sure why I would create the file. It's so easy to use my current Bdm rig and backup DME (cloned) from original.

Last edited by richardfahljr; 04-20-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:07 AM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardfahljr View Post
I finnally managed to get the 3.0si software into my 3.0. Not exactly how I intended but I managed to inject the entire parameter section of the si code into my DME. I spliced the code directly into the flash. I used the ODA file for the 3.0si less the file header and a parameter that defines the power class. I have 100 plus miles on the program and the car runs great. I know know how to use this information to create a ODA file that winfkp can flash but not sure why I would create the file. It's so easy to use my current Bdm rig and backup DME (cloned) from original.
Very interesting, do you like to write a little more what and where you make your changes
Old 04-22-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardfahljr View Post

That's awesome!! Any chance you could share the file you flashed with, and instructions. Is your car an auto or manual transmission?