Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 X5 35i Sport Activity
I'm just saying that I kept getting the error and I thought to myself "what the heck, let me try going right into ESys and seeing if it will work". And it did, and it continues to. I've coded 5 cars already that way, so clearly it works. Yes, it's great to follow the steps, but when ZWG kept error-ing out on me, I just decided to charge ahead and it paid off.

- 2013 X5 35i Sport Activity (Born 08/12) - Titanium Silver /Oyster Nevada /Dark Bamboo - ZCV /ZCW /ZPS /Sport Package /Adaptive Drive /Soft-Close Doors/Running Boards /HUD /Shift Paddles /Comfort Seats /6NR /6NF
- 2011 535i (Born 08/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota /Anthracite - ZCV /ZCW /ZPP /ZP2 /6FL /6NF (Sold 08/12)
- 2010 335i (Born 02/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota - ZCW /ZPP /6FL (Sold 09/10)
- 2007 328i (Born 07/07) - Jet Black /Black Dakota - ZSP /ZPP /6FL (Sold 04/10)
Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2011
Thanks, great information.

With the info provided by you, we can definitely say:

1. ZWG_SEARCH utility is redundant for coding unless one wants to go step by step.
2. ESys uses different connection component.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
@April1; Thanks. Keep the batch files coming. I started out not using ZWG_SEARCH as it does not work natively in Win7 64-Bit and serves no functional purpose. I now run it in the WinXP SP2 compatibility mode though, and it works fine that way, and while still completely unnecessary, it's just a nice confirmation that E-Sys is properly connected to the car. I've had instances where my E-net cable has wiggled loose on the the ODB II port, breaking my E-Sys connection, and having the ZWG_SEARCH window open, I can spot this.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 PM

Installer for E-Sys that plugs the data automatically

Software installation:

You can use the manual procedure available on forums to install software on your laptop or follow automatic installation steps given below:

1. Create a folder on laptop or any external media and give any name such as BMWInstall. If you are creating folder BMWInstall on laptop, then you may need 45 GB of clear space as the installer will not move or delete any file from your laptop.
2. Copy folders 2_46.3 psdzdata and E-Sys_3.18.4 into BMWInstall.
3. Also copy Setup_3.18.4.v2.bat and EDIABAS.INI files into the same folder.
4. Double click on Setup_3.18.4.bat. It will install the complete software with correct settings to your laptop if the folders names are correct. Enter the password for E-Sys when asked. Installation time may vary from 1 hour to few hours. Don’t interrupt the process, let it run and finish. You are good to go now.

(Please download the files and remove .pdf at the end, that will make the file as bat file)

PS: Based on the feedback from Shawn and confirmation from Ray_S, I modified the Setup file to v2. (July 8, 2012)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Setup_3.18.4.bat.pdf (1.8 KB, 265 views)
File Type: pdf Setup_3.18.4.v2.zip.pdf (5.1 KB, 260 views)

Last edited by April1; 07-08-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
Software installation:

You can use the manual procedure available on forums to install software on your laptop or follow automatic installation steps given below:

1. Create a folder on laptop or any external media and give any name such as BMWInstall. If you are creating folder BMWInstall on laptop, then you may need 45 GB of clear space as the installer will not move or delete any file from your laptop.
2. Copy folders 2_46.3 psdzdata and E-Sys_3.18.4 into BMWInstall.
3. Also copy Setup_3.18.4.bat and EDIABAS.INI files into the same folder.
4. Double click on Setup_3.18.4.bat. It will install the complete software with correct settings to your laptop if the folders names are correct. Enter the password for E-Sys when asked. Installation time may vary from 1 hour to few hours. Don’t interrupt the process, let it run and finish. You are good to go now.

(Please download the files and remove .pdf at the end, that will make these files as INI and bat files.)
Thanks for another useful batch file.

I have been told, and I have not yet confirmed it myself, that the SWE folder is actually only needed in "C:\ESysData\psdzdata\swe", and that it is not necessary to also have it in "C:\ESysData\SWE". Assuming this is true, and it's easy enough to test by just deleting the "C:\ESysData\SWE" folder, I would remove the following two lines from the batch file to both speed up the installation time and avoid needlessly occupying an additional 14Gb of hard drive space:

XCOPY ".\2_46.3 psdzdata\swe" "C:\ESysData\SWE" /E /V /I /Q /K
ECHO Step 6 of 7 completed

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 07-08-2012, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: M550dX
Thanks for this hint Shawn,
I can confirm that the data only needs to reside under "C:\ESysData\psdzdata\swe".

Just tested succesfully!

I just stepped across this remark looking for install errors I made (software did not work and asked for missing files..) - and figured I only had the files movd into the other folder you mentioned below, thus I did not copy any of it as described as I did not want to duplicate, but only moved.
Now I moved it all back into the folder as mentioned above - and bingo, here we go.

After doing that and having my cable built today I also can claim first coding success - I coded the memory function for the Start/Stop button, so I don't need to disable it anymore in the future. GREAT!

I also had some connectivity issues earlier today - first was that I had misread the RJ45 pin, next step it still did not connect. I figured it's a Windows system (WIN7), so a re-boot always is good, and it helped. As the connection testing does not work as described under WIN7 I just test connectivity by using the good old "ipconfig" command in DOS window - it shows you if you get an IP assigned by the car... easy.

One failure on something I was hoping on, as I just started I won't give up yet:
Under DME options one can indeed select VMAX (speed limiter) values, but that max value in the pull-down offerd was 255 km/h, all other values offered were smaller ones probably for other countries outside Germany... that's a real fail, I was hoping to get an easy fix on the speed limiter.. will keep trying :-))))

Next to code will be the memory function for Drive Settings (Suspension and Gearbox), Sport,/ Comfort etc and the CLOSE button for the trunk from the inside door .

Happy coding...
Ray

PS: Can someone give me a short hint on what I need to do to download all my available coding options/files from the car so I can offline browse through them with the editiors/viewers?

PPS: Next time I'll connect the power supplies to car & laptop to provide as much time I need .. makes me a bit nervous to code w/o independent power supply..

Last edited by Ray_S; 07-08-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_S View Post
Thanks for this hint Shawn,
I can confirm that the data only needs to reside under "C:\ESysData\psdzdata\swe".

Just tested succesfully!

I just stepped across this remark looking for install errors I made (software did not work and asked for missing files..) - and figured I only had the files movd into the other folder you mentioned below, thus I did not copy any of it as described as I did not want to duplicate, but only moved.
Now I moved it all back into the folder as mentioned above - and bingo, here we go.

After doing that and having my cable built today I also can claim first coding success - I coded the memory function for the Start/Stop button, so I don't need to disable it anymore in the future. GREAT!

I also had some connectivity issues earlier today - first was that I had misread the RJ45 pin, next step it still did not connect. I figured it's a Windows system (WIN7), so a re-boot always is good, and it helped. As the connection testing does not work as described under WIN7 I just test connectivity by using the good old "ipconfig" command in DOS window - it shows you if you get an IP assigned by the car... easy.

One failure on something I was hoping on, as I just started I won't give up yet:
Under DME options one can indeed select VMAX (speed limiter) values, but that max value in the pull-down offerd was 255 km/h, all other values offered were smaller ones probably for other countries outside Germany... that's a real fail, I was hoping to get an easy fix on the speed limiter.. will keep trying :-))))

Next to code will be the memory function for Drive Settings (Suspension and Gearbox), Sport,/ Comfort etc and the CLOSE button for the trunk from the inside door .

Happy coding...
Ray

PS: Can someone give me a short hint on what I need to do to download all my available coding options/files from the car so I can offline browse through them with the editiors/viewers?

PPS: Next time I'll connect the power supplies to car & laptop to provide as much time I need .. makes me a bit nervous to code w/o independent power supply..
Ray; thank you for confirming this. I would like to update my 16 Step "E-Sys Installation Instructions", to remove Step 6 all together, and for reasons in addition to this; however, it's simply impractical now given the proliferation of the instructions. It's all over the place, in numerous E-Sys packages and as a standalone document. If it in fact did not work as written, rather than just wasting a few additional Gb of space, I would probably be more motivated in correcting it. That said, I think the batch file though should still be corrected.

For removing the Speed Limiter, please see and post any commnets or findings in this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=630462

For working off-line, I just go out to the car, read all the ECU's I want, disconnect, and go in the house and peruse the CAFD Entries at my leisure. You can however, read them off the local drive once they have been initially read using the CAF Viewer. Read this document:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...2&d=1339151911

As for the charger, with the exception of the DME Module, I just FDL Code with the Car on, so I don't worry about the battery. It's too damn hot in H-Town to code without AC . If I was flashing a module though, I would have it turned off and hooked up to a charger.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 07-08-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:20 PM

Thanks Shawn and Ray_S. I have modified my installer file in my post above to implement the changes. Its so wonderful to learn that one step follows other automatically. I made the installer based on the old installer instructions floated by Shawn, Shawn looked at my installer and felt the need to make changes, Ray_S stepped up and verified the suggestions, April1 (myself) then modified the installer. Great Team work.

Last edited by April1; 07-08-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:25 PM

I have posted Step By Step guidelines on other forum, hope all beginners can use them to their benefits.

Coding made easy: Step-By_Step Instructions
Old 07-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
April1 thanks for all your efforts ... we would appreciate if you can create/post the threads/info here instead of linking them ...

its Just a friendly request...Lets help to grow this forum.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
April1 thanks for all your efforts ... we would appreciate if you can create/post the threads/info here instead of linking them ...

its Just a friendly request...Lets help to grow this forum.
Sure I will do it. Linking was the easiest though I was hesitating to repost the same again and again.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
Thanks Shawn and Ray_S. I have modified my installer file in my post above to implement the changes. Its so wonderful to learn that one step follows other automatically. I made the installer based on the old installer instructions floated by Shawn, Shawn looked at my installer and felt the need to make changes, Ray_S stepped up and verified the suggestions, April1 (myself) then modified the installer. Great Team work.
+1

Old 07-11-2012, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi
2012 535 f10 coding update

hi guys

i was wondering if there was any update on coding the 2012 f10
Old 07-11-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rterath View Post
hi guys

Update? What exactly are you asking? I don't understand.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 AM

Update is: yes, it simply works... at least for me.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: f10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rterath View Post
hi guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Update? What exactly are you asking? I don't understand.
I think Rterath is asking about the updated PSDZDATA files (46.5 or 46.6) that seems to be needed in order to code newer 2012 F series chassis. I'm in the same boat and cannot seem to find the newer DATA files.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 AM

well , not sure how new your cars are, mine is just about 4 weeks old (built last week of may) and it works for me..

how can I determine the version of files I have?

Last edited by Ray_S; 07-11-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
well , not sure how new your cars are, mine is just about 4 weeks old (built last week of may) and it works for me..

mine was also built end of may... picked up end of june. I cannot read HU_CIC or JBBF modules. So i have no video in motion etc. I can read and code all other modules FRM etc.

Ray_S, i'm not sure how you can determine what version PSDZDATA. Can you upload your version of all the data files and i can download them and try it out? That would be so helpful!!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: F10 520d
Quote:

Start by reading the I-step from the car, then cross in the attached I-levels table.

Please post the results. If it's later than what's in the table ie. later than 46.1 than someone here will probably help...For F11 refer to the F10 entries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	read isteps.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	332485  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf I-Levels.pdf (28.7 KB, 285 views)

F10 520d born 11.04.2011 Deep Sea Blue

205, 230, 322, 403, 415, 423, 428, 430, 431, 459, 464, 465, 494, 502, 508, 522, 524, 534, 548, 609, 614, 615, 620, 644, 654, 676, 698, 851, 879, 962, 1CA, 1CB, 1CD, 2K1, 2PA, 3AG, 4AT, 4UR, 5AC, 6AA, 6AB, 6FL, 6NF, 6NR, 6VC, 8KA, 8TF, 8TL, 8TN, 8V1

Last edited by miotoo; 07-11-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 PM

I see

Sorry but I can't upload 15GB of data... And I'm sure I have the same version like you from rapidshare.

Have not tested HU_CIC yet, only memory for start/stopp..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj323ci View Post
mine was also built end of may... picked up end of june. I cannot read HU_CIC or JBBF modules. So i have no video in motion etc. I can read and code all other modules FRM etc.

Ray_S, i'm not sure how you can determine what version PSDZDATA. Can you upload your version of all the data files and i can download them and try it out? That would be so helpful!!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I see

Sorry but I can't upload 15GB of data... And I'm sure I have the same version like you from rapidshare.

Have not tested HU_CIC yet, only memory for start/stopp..
..and just checked, I-Step Level is F010-12-03-512, thus one level higher than in the attached list. I suppose I cannot code some modules either. will keep posted on progress...

Here we go, already was able to test:

Although the level is one level higher than in the list above - no problems reading and coding several ECus.

I can confirm DME, CAS, HU_CIC, and coded e.g. Trunk button closes, speed limit on DVDs, etc
I can also confrm adding to FA works, I added 7ME, likely without any impact on the speed lmiter but just for fun and testing.

Now, that puzzled me a bit, so I just checked the psdzdata/mainseries/F10 directory.... And guess what, the directory contained is named F10_1203_512... So it seems to be the latest dataset and it's indeed e level my car has. Thus this level was not yet included in the list above...

Let me check tomorrow if I can find the source again on rapidshare, but I'm pretty sure it was named somewhere around here in the forum in an embedded document..

Last edited by Ray_S; 07-11-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: F10 520d
Quote:
..and just checked, I-Step Level is F010-12-03-512, thus one level higher than in the attached list. I suppose I cannot code some modules either. will keep posted on progress...

Although the level is one level higher than in the list above - no problems reading and coding several ECus.

I can confirm DME, CAS, HU_CIC, and coded e.g. Trunk button closes, speed limit on DVDs, etc
I can also confrm adding to FA works, I added 7ME, likely without any impact on the speed lmiter but just for fun and testing.

Now, that puzzled me a bit, so I just checked the psdzdata/mainseries/F10 directory.... And guess what, the directory contained is named F10_1203_512... So it seems to be the latest dataset and it's indeed e level my car has. Thus this level was not yet included in the list above...

Let me check tomorrow if I can find the source again on rapidshare, but I'm pretty sure it was named somewhere around here in the forum in an embedded document..
12-03-511 is psdz 46.1 and is the last listed, but the file is not new so doesn't contain the latest..

It is likely you got 46.3 from rapidshare so you have support for a higher stepping

F10 520d born 11.04.2011 Deep Sea Blue

205, 230, 322, 403, 415, 423, 428, 430, 431, 459, 464, 465, 494, 502, 508, 522, 524, 534, 548, 609, 614, 615, 620, 644, 654, 676, 698, 851, 879, 962, 1CA, 1CB, 1CD, 2K1, 2PA, 3AG, 4AT, 4UR, 5AC, 6AA, 6AB, 6FL, 6NF, 6NR, 6VC, 8KA, 8TF, 8TL, 8TN, 8V1
Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miotoo View Post
12-03-511 is psdz 46.1 and is the last listed, but the file is not new so doesn't contain the latest..

It is likely you got 46.3 from rapidshare so you have support for a higher stepping
Ok, so i just checked and i have the same I-Step Level as Ray_S. I attached an image of my I-Step levels. For some reason i cannot read the HU_CIC module with 46.3 DATA files. I have attached the error i get when i try to read the HU_CIC. It seems it cannot find the CAFD file needed, so i was assuming it is a CAFD file in the newer version PSDZDATA? Ray_S, can you check what CAFD file is read in your HU_CIC module please? If it matches mine, then you might have a newer PSDZDATA version (46.5 or 46.6), if your CAFD file is different, that would narrow things down a bit.... Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i-step.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	332543   Click image for larger version

Name:	hu_cic-error.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	332544  
Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 PM

I did an offline check of the files on my harddrive.

The CAFD file reads different from yours. In my case it's CAFD_000000F9_007_002_006.ncd

I cannot attach an image from here but that's what the file reads like..

Cheers, Ray

PS: tested Power and Torque meter successfully this morning as well as trunk closing by pushing the button on the driver side.

Closure of the trunk by remote control is enabled in Germany as standard, as well as fuel stop proposal and video w/o handbrake.

Was not able to test video in motion as I don't have a DVD with me.. :-)

Last edited by Ray_S; 07-12-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I did an offline check of the files on my harddrive.

The CAFD file reads different from yours. In my case it's CAFD_000000F9_007_002_006.ncd

I cannot attach an image from here but that's what the file reads like..

Cheers, Ray

PS: tested Power and Torque meter successfully this morning as well as trunk closing by pushing the button on the driver side.

Closure of the trunk by remote control is enabled in Germany as standard, as well as fuel stop proposal and video w/o handbrake.

Was not able to test video in motion as I don't have a DVD with me.. :-)
Thanks for looking at your CAFD file name Ray_S. I guess i will just need to wait until an updated version of the DATA files is released.