Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 F31
Will we ever have 'real' comfort access?

About a month into my '14 328i wagon and loving it. First vehicle I've owned with push button start and 'comfort access'.

I think these features are great and I got used to them quicker than I thought I would. However, I'm still stuck with a rather large key FOB in my pocket.

I was thinking how great it would be if they could make the key FOB the same size as a credit card so it can simply be put in my wallet, just like a drivers licence.

Perhaps some techies on the forum might have insight as to why the BMW FOB is so large, and if you think there will ever come a day for credit card size FOB's?
Ads by Google
Old 02-26-2014, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i
Battery. You need a battery to power the electronics in the key FOB that deal with remote control of the car through radio waves. With a credit card "badge" type system you need to contact the card with the receiver. I suppose that one day miniaturization will make what you say possible, at an affordable cost.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328xi Sport Line
There is a lot of 'dead' space in the BMW key I've noticed as well. Coming from an Infiniti with basically the same access features, the Infiniti key is much smaller, probably about 50% smaller in total volume in my estimation.

bt1330 makes a good point about battery, in that you'll generally never see a "credit card" sized key; plus I doubt you ever will due to the fact that we do have a hard-cut key in the FOB as well in case of emergency.

Could it be smaller? Sure. I don't really mind it though.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 F31 328d SportLine
You can shift the battery from the fob to the car with an RFID tag in a credit card looking thing. The two biggest problem I see is that you would still get a key. your current FOB has a key in it. so now when you have a credit card type "fob" you still have a key to carry around. Because of that I think it will be unlikely that companies will want to switch any time soon. They will most likely get more complaints about having to carry two things around rather than one. The whole reason most companies went with a key in the FOB was so you only needed to carry around one thing, going to two defeats that purpose.

Another thing to think about : with the amount of news regarding cyber crime and credit cards I have a feeling people are less likely to want to have their key be a "credit card". Just the shape can be a massive psychological factor.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
(First off: It's a fob not a FOB.)

BMW made the fobs significantly larger for the F30, compared to those for the E90, which in turn were larger than the combination key/remote for the E46. It's nothing more than a "bigger is better" perception of status thing. I am not sure how current versions compare but not long ago, you could differentiate the fobs for a 3/5/7 at a glance by sheer size and finish quality. Silly.

The remote doesn't need to be much larger than a key blade, plus the space to accommodate a few comfortably-sized buttons and a battery. Giant fobs are only for style.

I don't mind carrying a reasonably-sized set of keys, separate from my wallet. If I had a credit-card-sized car key, I would end up carrying it in my wallet--and then I'd be seriously annoyed if my wallet was mislaid or stolen.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 02-26-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
I can't speak for the f30 key, but most CA keys I've seen also usually maintains a physical cut and coded key for accessing certain things.

However, yes, there's a lot of room to make it more reasonable in shape and size. The battery argument is true compared to a credit card, but the battery is NOT that big. There's also opportunities like my 07 VW touareg, which has comfort access/push button start but can also be manually started with the key and recharges the fob while it's running.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post

BMW made the fobs significantly larger for the F30, compared to those for the E90, which in turn were larger than the combination key/remote for the E46. It's nothing more than a "bigger is better" perception of status thing. I am not sure how current versions compare but not long ago, you could differentiate the fobs for a 3/5/7 at a glance by sheer size and finish quality. Silly.
Reminds me of a funny conversation I had going through airport security. I was picking up my backpack off the x-ray belt when I had this conversation with one of the guards:

Him: "Mini?"
Me: "Huh?"
Him: "I had a bet with my friend there about the type of key in your bag."
Me: laughing, "Close, it's a BMW"

Now that I think about it, somebody more privacy-oriented would probably sue or complain if they had that same chat. Lucky for them they got me.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post

The remote doesn't need to be much larger than a key blade, plus the space to accommodate a few comfortably-sized buttons and a battery. Giant fobs are only for style.

I don't mind carrying a reasonably-sized set of keys, separate from my wallet. If I had a credit-card-sized car key, I would end up carrying it in my wallet--and then I'd be seriously annoyed if my wallet was mislaid or stolen.
Nail on the head here. I carry my E60 fob and my wifes extra F30 fob on the same ring. They both are unmistakenly BMW, but the F30 fob looks and feels newer. Agreed; silly. but its mass marketing in essence.

With that said, carrying 2 BMW fobs is a pain but my wife has a hell of a knack for misplacing her keys, so its not by choice.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Comfort FOB

Size does matter - no doubt the technology exists to make them sub-miniature! ... but, too small and they'll be too easy to lose. I suspect, as (cellular) technology expands there could be one device to do it all. "My BMW Remote" on IOS and Android does some of it now.

Or, taken to the next level, in the future, primary drivers might be given the opportunity to have an implant done at the BMW Service Center ... your turn

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 02-26-2014, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328ix GT
This card can communicate with your phone via bluetooth and change it's behavior when it gets separated from your phone..and it fits in your wallet. We could have key FOBs right now that fit in your wallet. A car mfg just needs to decide they want to do it.

https://onlycoin.com
Old 02-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
As someone pointed out above it is likely the F30 key grew for status reasons. Look at keys from other mfgs they're huge, so BMW key fob should be huge as well. Thank you market research group.

Tim
Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i & X3 3.5
Have both, a 2013 X3 and just picked up my 335i couple weeks ago...X3 FOB is much larger but now that I have my 335 her key resides in the kitchen and not my pocket. I do not keep my FOB with my other keys because I don't like them jingling when I have to put the FOB in...which is my only complaint....not the size but why do I need to plug my FOB in my 335 but not the X3? Guess that's another post somewhere else. Size of the FOB is fine. Do not want one to fit in my wallet because I do not carry a wallet...
Old 02-26-2014, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Oh, c'mon! There's plenty of Euro dwellers here and NOBODY remembers Renault Laguna with credit card key from 1998? Really? RFID for door opening (yes, plus the button for control freaks) and ATM slot for start?

BMW lost THAT race, then I guess they decided that, since they cannot lead, they might as well invent a new race - the one with who has the largest one

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 02-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Maybe they are so big cause they now have two way communication between the car and FOB?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 328xi
I dont like how you cannot start the vehicle from outside using the fob, which many competitors like cadillac include in their base lines years ago
Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
I dont like how you cannot start the vehicle from outside using the fob, which many competitors like cadillac include in their base lines years ago
I wouldn't want to be getting something out of the trunk and have someone jump into my car, start it up and drive off. I, for one, am glad it won't start if the fob is not in the car.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW Perf Tune, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i Alpine White
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Reminds me of a funny conversation I had going through airport security. I was picking up my backpack off the x-ray belt when I had this conversation with one of the guards:

Him: "Mini?"
Me: "Huh?"
Him: "I had a bet with my friend there about the type of key in your bag."
Me: laughing, "Close, it's a BMW"

Now that I think about it, somebody more privacy-oriented would probably sue or complain if they had that same chat. Lucky for them they got me.
There's metal (key) in the fob, so I guess they would have a right to size it up (no pun).

My BRZ fob was probably less then half the size... it had comfort access, but it was made of very cheap hollow plastic and it banged noisely against else in my pocket.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammin View Post
About a month into my '14 328i wagon and loving it. First vehicle I've owned with push button start and 'comfort access'.

I think these features are great and I got used to them quicker than I thought I would. However, I'm still stuck with a rather large key FOB in my pocket.

I was thinking how great it would be if they could make the key FOB the same size as a credit card so it can simply be put in my wallet, just like a drivers licence.

Perhaps some techies on the forum might have insight as to why the BMW FOB is so large, and if you think there will ever come a day for credit card size FOB's?

Well, Germans do as Germans do. There is no accounting.

However.....come closer.....thought activated access implants are just around the corner!

Imagine....videophone, Internet, and vehicle control anytime everywhere simply by having it on your mind! Oh, and NSA identifier w/vital signs. Obama seys: ">Harumph< - Ya can't get sumpthin fer nothin, sometimes a great notion, and a shared responsibility we're gonna get The Rich to pay for. And as part of the deal, if you like your mind, you can keep it!"

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 02-27-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 13 328i sport line

Lexus has had it as an option in addition to your regular fob.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Did you see the key fob cover for the comfort access key ... its huge.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i Alpine White
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifoney View Post
Did you see the key fob cover for the comfort access key ... its huge.
Yes, I have the Sport one (nice salesman threw it in for free), it is huge, looks like I'm sporting heat (or wood!!). But hey.. that's what peeps expect from BMW drivers

Last edited by Number 6; 02-27-2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Yes, I have the Sport one (nice salesman through it in for free), it is huge, looks like I'm sporting heat (or wood!!). But hey.. that's what peeps expect from BMW drivers

I prefer this:

Old 02-27-2014, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin2911 View Post
There is a lot of 'dead' space in the BMW key I've noticed as well. Coming from an Infiniti with basically the same access features, the Infiniti key is much smaller, probably about 50% smaller in total volume in my estimation.

bt1330 makes a good point about battery, in that you'll generally never see a "credit card" sized key; plus I doubt you ever will due to the fact that we do have a hard-cut key in the FOB as well in case of emergency.

Could it be smaller? Sure. I don't really mind it though.
I like the Infiniti FOB much better over the BMW, I also notice that my trunk opens sometimes depending on what I'm doing, if the FOB is my pocket...

I just wish the trunk would open when I wave my foot under the rear bumper, I have gotten it to work twice out of the ten times I have tried it.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
I like the Infiniti FOB much better over the BMW, I also notice that my trunk opens sometimes depending on what I'm doing, if the FOB is my pocket...

I just wish the trunk would open when I wave my foot under the rear bumper, I have gotten it to work twice out of the ten times I have tried it.

Gosh-a-mighty! Don't you know you need a reflective surface?

See, you need Wing Tips or at least polished leather loafers. Note: Polished. Yes. Those pesky 40khz waves gotta bounce offa something!

If you're comitted to sneaks or flip-flops, it can be an issue. I recommend affixing a mirror to the foot of your choice, looking upward.

Caution! Can result in arrest if not carefully used!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:06 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post

Mine works all the time (no matter what type of shoes).

Just follow the directions and kick under the back license and let you foot swing back out. Don't move your foot left/right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	425339  

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW Perf Tune, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.