Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktctr View Post
I would love to find someone in SoCal (Orange County preferrably) who has the ability to code this feature in my F30...
I'm getting it coded soon as well. I nearly always do it manually when I park right now, including in my garage so there's more room to walk through when 2 cars are parked in there.

Another advantage is if you're not sure you locked the car you can just look and if mirrors are folded you can see it's locked.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
The benefit is that you don't get a dazzling level of brightness from a truck or SUV whose lights shine directly into your mirror.

Reaching up to flip a manual dim switch is fine, but won't do anything for the side mirrors, which can also glare/dazzle pretty badly at the right approach angle.

In the bad old days I would reach up and manually turn the mirror away, and manually adjust my side mirrors if a truck was following me for a long distance and was blinding me.

with the auto dimming mirrors I have never had to do that on my current car.
I've never had to do that with any car anyway. Been driving for over 20 years. Grew up in the sticks, live in the city and can't say I've ever adjusted my mirrors based on a car behind me.

Have experienced the disconcerting feeling of cars behind me suddenly appearing as though they're being filtered...then I'd remember I'm in a loaner with dimming mirrors. Hopefully I can find a DIY to break that "feature" on my F30.

Last edited by brkf; 07-24-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
I am happy you don't have this bother you. I have very light eyes and am pretty light sensitive.

Obviously if this wasn't a problem for others the feature would not exist.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:56 PM
1st time 'Fester in 2012!

Mein Auto: '96 E36 silver 328i MT 4d
Quote:
I would love to find someone in SoCal (Orange County preferrably) who has the ability to code this feature in my F30...
There is a forum member who is in Ventura County who can do it...

PM sent to you

Luxury F30 335i 6MT, ED : 4/12/12
Drop-off: 4/24/12, Re-Delivery : 7/10/12

Last edited by DrivenByF30; 07-24-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByF30 View Post
There is a forum member who is in Ventura County who can do it...

PM sent to you
Did you ever think of asking your dealer to do it for you?
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
If you are interested in coding your F30, or having it done, read this:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696777

Also, user Itschase does coding in Los Angeles.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 10-03-2012, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 328i / EK Civic
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just wanted to clarify that the power folding mirrors are standard. No need for the premium package.

2013 F30 328i Baseline - Tech/Lighting/Shades/MoonRoof/Heated Seats
Old 10-03-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kidd View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just wanted to clarify that the power folding mirrors are standard. No need for the premium package.
I don't know as far as what's currently standard equipment and in the optional packages, however, power-folding mirrors are specifically part of the SA430 Auto-dimming mirrors option code (not Comfort Access as many assume).

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: YA
Thanks for confirming that power folding mirrors are part of standard options for the 2013 model. Did you receive your car and confirmed that first hand?

The fact that it comes with the dimming mirrors and that the dimming mirrors are now standard is one more hint.

Regarding some previous messages, it always amazes me the number of "experts" on the Internet who state things as facts when they are not! Good job on giving this a reality check.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Thanks for that update. I stand corrected. Wonder why BMW chose to advertise that auto dimming mirrors were standard for 2013, but not mention that they would also be power folding? I guess because they have never really mentioned anything about the power folding feature. Even when they were part of the premium package they only made reference to the auto dimming feature.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 328i / EK Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt1337 View Post
Thanks for confirming that power folding mirrors are part of standard options for the 2013 model. Did you receive your car and confirmed that first hand?

The fact that it comes with the dimming mirrors and that the dimming mirrors are now standard is one more hint.

Regarding some previous messages, it always amazes me the number of "experts" on the Internet who state things as facts when they are not! Good job on giving this a reality check.
Yes, received my car about 2 weeks ago and that was one of the first things I checked. I had to point it out to my CA because he also mentioned I needed the prem. pkg for that option. I was pleasantly surprised since I needed it due to a tight garage.

2013 F30 328i Baseline - Tech/Lighting/Shades/MoonRoof/Heated Seats
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Thanks for that update. I stand corrected. Wonder why BMW chose to advertise that auto dimming mirrors were standard for 2013, but not mention that they would also be power folding? I guess because they have never really mentioned anything about the power folding feature. Even when they were part of the premium package they only made reference to the auto dimming feature.
Yep use this feature daily and have on my 3 since getting it 5 weeks ago (no premium package).

Now if only I could find a way to disable the atrocious dimming junk... makes night driving annoying.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Yep use this feature daily and have on my 3 since getting it 5 weeks ago (no premium package).

Now if only I could find a way to disable the atrocious dimming junk... makes night driving annoying.
Look for FRM / ASP-Elektrochrom-spiegelglas = nicht_aktiv or similar.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i MSport
I have it too on my 2013 ... no premium package.
2014 F30 320i xDrive
Old 01-30-2014, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: tinycar23
Hi folks, I just got a F32 with premium, technology and comfort packages, I keep the remote close button depressed for a long time and the side mirror are not retracting. This feature comes standard according to this thread. Am I missing something? Maybe I have to enable this feature in IDrive somewhere? If that's the case, how it's done? Thanks!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi
Quote:
Just to confirm, is the folding mirrors standard or only included in the prem pkg?
I do not have the Premium Package on my car, but I do have the button to fold and unfold the mirrors.

2013 BMW 328i
2006 Mercedes SL 500
2008 Lexus RX350
2007 Ford F250
1970 Chevrolet El Camino
Old 01-30-2014, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
I did enable the mirrors to auto fold on my E90, but it is relatively unnecessary in NA. First, any snow/ice buildup will cause them to not open, and potentially risk damaging the plastic gearing inside. Also, our parking spaces tend to be wide enough that the mirrors aren't an issue. While it looked cool for the first while, it was rather pointless, and I disabled it a while.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 428i
So any idea how much this coding costs, to have the side mirrors auto-fold/unfold when engine is turned on and off?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 PM

Folks, coding is not required (read this thread) for F30/31/32. It is a default feature, I just need to know how to enable it in iDrive, I am looking for it now but if somebody can tell me would appreciate it.

No issues with snow here, need to retract mirrors on a shared underground garage and sometimes in tight parking spaces. It is a very convenient feature. Much more convenient than pressing the button manually every time you get out of the car.

Yes, standard comes with the button, please read my question before replying, I am asking about the remote and the comfort access way of doing this.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger_ View Post
Folks, coding is not required (read this thread) for F30/31/32. It is a default feature, I just need to know how to enable it in iDrive, I am looking for it now but if somebody can tell me would appreciate it.

No issues with snow here, need to retract mirrors on a shared underground garage and sometimes in tight parking spaces. It is a very convenient feature. Much more convenient than pressing the button manually every time you get out of the car.

Yes, standard comes with the button, please read my question before replying, I am asking about the remote and the comfort access way of doing this.

Thanks.
The only way I could get mine to fold with the key fob or comfort access to was to code the car. It does not come standard here in the us rather it has to be enabled by coding the car.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDog View Post
The only way I could get mine to fold with the key fob or comfort access to was to code the car. It does not come standard here in the us rather it has to be enabled by coding the car.
This

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 14' F31 328xi (ED)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger_ View Post
Hi folks, I just got a F32 with premium, technology and comfort packages, I keep the remote close button depressed for a long time and the side mirror are not retracting. This feature comes standard according to this thread. Am I missing something? Maybe I have to enable this feature in IDrive somewhere? If that's the case, how it's done? Thanks!
Like many here stated, power folding of side mirrors is a standard feature but automatic folding is not. To make the side mirrors fold (or unfold) using the FOB/comfort access, you need to code it.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: 14' F31 328xi (ED)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwozhere View Post
So any idea how much this coding costs, to have the side mirrors auto-fold/unfold when engine is turned on and off?
I don't know if it's possible to code the side mirrors to fold/unfold when you press the start/stop button to turn the engine on/off. But it is possible to code the side mirrors to fold/unfold using the FOB/comfort access.

Look for coders near you here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=693949

Some may code it for free.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:40 PM

TheBigDog, thanks for the info. So I think this should be the definitive truth about the auto folding capabilities with the remote/comfort access for F3X:

"US models do not have the auto mirror feature enabled and has to be coded"

Several people on this thread mentioned that it was indeed available in all standard and all lines, however, these people do not live in the states so this does not apply to us, that's why got confused.

Ktula, I think I am going to not code, I don't use the feature all the time and it's OK to just use the button before locking the door.

Thank you all!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByF30 View Post
Dr.S makes a very good point... i like the fact that i have options, given the possilibity... unstead of being stuck with one way or another...

people nowadays have become so lazy... soon we will have mind control for everything
On my Citroen in France the mirrors folded when the engine was turned off OR when I hit the button on the armrest. I think both ways is the best and wish my US 328d had the option to add 'fold with engine off'