Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-01-2012, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
New X3/ Excessive Battery Discharge Error

One week old 2013 X3 28i: I got a check control message for excessive battery discharge overnight when started the car in the morning. This resulted in the system shutting down whatever internal electronics that was on stand-by to preserve the battery charge. The car was locked with the lights off and the parking brake engaged. I had no electronic devices connected to the vehicle. I also "DO NOT" have the comfort access.

The dealer discovered recorded fault of closed-circuit current discharge of 0.2-1A in a 4-5hours period but still does not know what caused it! Have to take the car back for further sand-by current draw test. It is disappointing, to say the least!
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

BMW engineering does go out of its way to give you the power when you need it, and minimize drain by putting things into sleep mode. These sorts of things are unusual. At least the car is warning you about it. Could be something as simple as a bad battery that won't hold its charge.

Do report back and let us know what they find.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
This is what Warranties are for. There's a defective board/module/something in the system. Now is the time to find it, replace it, and move on. Make sure that you get a nice BMW loaner to play with while your X3 is in the shop.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sx3 View Post
One week old 2013 X3 28i: I got a check control message for excessive battery discharge overnight when started the car in the morning. This resulted in the system shutting down whatever internal electronics that was on stand-by to preserve the battery charge. The car was locked with the lights off and the parking brake engaged. I had no electronic devices connected to the vehicle. I also "DO NOT" have the comfort access.

The dealer discovered recorded fault of closed-circuit current discharge of 0.2-1A in a 4-5hours period but still does not know what caused it! Have to take the car back for further sand-by current draw test. It is disappointing, to say the least!

Read my post under length at dealer in the X5 area. I have a battery discharge issue and the vehicle has been in the shop for almost 60 days......repalced "a bunch" of things,,,still a battery discharge issue. If they get your figured out,,,let me know!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I too got this message on the second or third day of ownership.

When I got the message I went for a 15min drive in sport mode and tried to maximize deceleration (because that is when the battery is charged).

The fault message has never returned since so I chocked it up to me playing with the car's gadgets in the driveway trying to familiarize myself with the new wheels.

Quote:

Old 06-20-2012, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 E550 Sedan
If you have Comfort Access, it could be defective sensor in one of the door handles.
2011 328i Convert
2012 E550 4Matic
Old 06-20-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
Read my post under length at dealer in the X5 area. I have a battery discharge issue and the vehicle has been in the shop for almost 60 days......repalced "a bunch" of things,,,still a battery discharge issue. If they get your figured out,,,let me know!
The error occurred only once and the car has been OK for the past three weeks since then! So I didn't take it to the delar anymore. I will keep you posted if it occurs again. Interestingly, one morning a few days after that incident I noticed the trunk lights were on (perhaps for all night) although I had locked the car; this was apparently due to me not properly closing the tailgate (mine is manual). Although I didn't get the error message this time, I wonder if something similar had happened the first time
Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
The error occurred only once and the car has been OK for the past three weeks since then! So I didn't take it to the delar anymore. I will keep you posted if it occurs again. Interestingly, one morning a few days after that incident I noticed the trunk lights were on (perhaps for all night) although I had locked the car; this was apparently due to me not properly closing the tailgate (mine is manual). Although I didn't get the error message this time, I wonder if something similar had happened the first time
Thanks for the reply,,,,,,,I really don't know what else to do,,,,the replaced the compfor access module,,,nope not it,,,,was on th machine to test for a draw down,,,replaced module after module,,battery, alternator, CIC,,,name it and it probably has been replaced....
Old 06-21-2012, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07X3platinum View Post
If you have Comfort Access, it could be defective sensor in one of the door handles.
Done,,,already replaced,,,,still have the issue!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Here is my input as well.
I have 2007 X5 and I had Battery discharge issue. I was reading these posts here and decided to definitely bypass BMW dealership. I am in Ontario, Canada and there is a guy here who is well know as Car Electronic Expert (I put capital E for expert because I think he deserves it). Anyway, he gave me two possibilities:
1. FOB key - if it's close to your car, car will never go to sleep mode - that wasn't my problem as my car is about 10-15 meters away from my key fob.
2. Battery - he asked me how old is that car, when I said 5 years, he said "not official rule but BMWs especially X5s need battery replacement every 4 years", if you go to dealership they would tell you "noo, it's not true, battery is good". He suggested to get new battery but battery from Series 7 as series 7 has more computers (chips) and will be perfect on my X5. It cost me about $300 for OEM battery and about $90 for labour and he said "if you have the same problem, come back I will give you back $390 immediately" - I still didn't go back to pick up the money even though it was 5 months ago which means no battery discharge problem since then. I hope it'll stay that way :-)

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: '88 735i, 2002, X5
I am in the very middle of this fix at the moment on a 2012 X3. Bad deal #1- New batteries are back-ordered from BMW. Bad deal #2- They are backed up in the shop that after 2 days they have not run the requisite test to trace faults or determine if there is excessive drain from a or more than one fault. OK, I have their BMW loaner at least.

Here is what the service writer asked: Do you leave the remote in the car-Yes, always at home and always when golfing. Do you do lots of short trips since there are only 15k miles on a 3 year old car-Yes. Does the car sit for periods-Yes often with the key in and inside an out-building.

His solution: Lock and remove the remote from the car when parked. The remote keeps systems alive when in the car. Put the car on a charger if parked for more than 2 days. Upon delivery, this topic was never covered.

Exactly which husband or enthusiast is going to be happy to deal with this on a $50 to $60 grand car? Having to open and close the hood, drag over a charger and connect it, and then undo that to head out is a pain. So we'll see if they install a new battery, whether there is a DVD staying on or something specific behind the failure. Assuming there is nothing I can live with taking the key out. I'll try to charge it during summer when it gets the least driving.

Last edited by trumanwoll; 01-09-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:02 AM

I got my issue resolved, but it was a costly one from a warranty standpoint.

My dealer and BMW got this elevated and had the assistance from the engineers from Germany (so I was told)

The had the car in the shop for about 60+ days (I did had use of a new X3d loaner the entire time). They replaced virtually everything you can imagine, from the alternator, and a good portions of the sensors in the vehicle. They replace the door handles, battery, seat motors, nav. screen, and relays galore. What finally fixed the car was a new radio. I seems like the radio when it was supposed to sleep didn't even though there were no lights and it wouldn't function. Since then I have had no issues. I take short trips, don't leave my keys in the vehicle and refused to use a trickle charger. My though on that is that if I paid this much for a vehicle, "ain't no way I'm going to use a charger", period. Either fix it, or I want my money back, or lemon it.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
This is a huge find! There are many threads addressing battery discharge problems. While not all are radio issues, it could well be that a large number are.

So, were they able to track this down by measuring the current draw at the battery and replacing things until it went to (or close to) zero? Could they have pinpointed it sooner by measuring the current to each separate circuit or is this just not possible on an X3?

Any addition info would be appreciated! Way to go, hanging in there until the problem was resolved.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:50 PM

I guess this was the main reason it took so long. I know that they put a machine on the car to see how many volts are going through the system when it sleeps. Since the radio never showed that it was on or even have any activity, they assumed that it was not the problem

Speaking about relays, if I said that they replaced 10, I'm thinking that would be on the low side. Not kidding when I said that they literally rebuilt the whole electrical system with trial and error. There was even some condensation that got into the wiring somehow and got a few things corroded, but that wasn't the main issue.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: '88 735i, 2002, X5
So at 5p I get a call that they ran the test and the battery needs charged. Like I had not 2 amp charged it on a 12 volt charger the last 2 of the 3 nights. So I am getting shafted and moved along...for the moment. I'll try locking the car at night with the remote out of reach. I'll triple secret shut it down twice before I lock it. Might also take two cars to the airport next week and see which starts and then have it towed to BMW for the battery. How's a guy supposed to own a car that needs to be charged every 2 days? I'll know in 2 weeks when I get back. Or am I supposed to keep it on the charger the next 10 days I'm gone?

Last edited by trumanwoll; 01-10-2014 at 10:12 AM.