Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 06-01-2012, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 03 E39
Possible new owner

Hi Guys:

I currently own a 03 E39 530i m sport package, and a 07 Harley touring. Lats week I was run off the road on the bike so I think I'm done with 2 wheels for a toy. I'm looking at selling the bike and the E39 and going with a E89 Z. What I'm looking for is a model with nav, dual exhaust, M package, auto or man (it doesn't matter), cold weather, and premium sound (sat radio/ipod interface).

Will any model year of this series, 09-12 be able to full-fill this wish list ?? What are the weak/strong points of the E89 ??

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 06-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Dual exhaust will be a 35i or 35is. M Sport package started in MY 2011 & on. All other items were available from MY 09 & on.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 03 E39
Thanks. Do all E89's come with hardtop convertible tops or is/was that an option??
Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
All e89s have a folding aluminum roof.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:38 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcletus View Post
What are the weak/strong points of the E89 ??
Thanks
A few of the known issues:

Cracking style 296 wheels. (They are the optional 19" rims for cars without M Sport)
Water in rear tail lamp lenses. BMW recently issued a TSB for this. Problem should also be fixed in current production.

Weak base stereo. Recent US versions get the upgraded sounds system as standard.

I've seen a few reports of leaking tops, but this is unusual.

No hill-holder on the 20i and 28i. See my thread on this topic.

The same HPFP issue that plagued all x35i models. This has been fixed.

Our Z4 hasn't had any problems other than not having hill start assist.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.