Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 05-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 35i M Sport DHP
Connected App Update

Today's update FINALLY allows the Connected App to run in background or while phone is closed!

Facebook functionality is removed.
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2015, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: E93
Is it true that you can now play Spotify directly using it? And also, for someone with a case on their iPhone6 (Otterbox), then would I have to buy an extender lightning cable to run it from the phone to the USB port where I have to plug it in, so it can pick up the music?

Too bad you can't bluetooth stream Spotify right to the radio... Or can you?

As you can tell, I don't have the car yet, but am actively searching for one with BMW Apps as an option!
Old 05-07-2015, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3?
I don't know about spotify, but I can play apple radio via Bluetooth.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:32 AM

Oh really? So you can stream Apple radio without the BMW Apps option? I thought the Bluetooth would only work for phone and speaking features? In my 2010 535, the Bluetooth picks up Google Maps instructions, but won't play music.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:26 PM

I can stream music from my phone thru Bluetooth, and when I scroll all the way down the playlist option, it shows my iTunes radio channels. I get to it by hitting the media button on the idrive controller.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truedat View Post
I can stream music from my phone thru Bluetooth, and when I scroll all the way down the playlist option, it shows my iTunes radio channels. I get to it by hitting the media button on the idrive controller.
And forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but you don't have the BMW apps option on your car?
Old 05-07-2015, 01:38 PM

Yes, I think so, but I haven't used them yet. Don't you have to connect your phone via usb to install the apps?
Old 05-07-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think so, but I haven't used them yet. Don't you have to connect your phone via usb to install the apps?
I don't know, as I don't have the car yet. :-) I was basically trying to find out if you can do Bluetooth streaming of music even if you don't have the BMW Apps option on your car?
Old 05-08-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I don't know, as I don't have the car yet. :-) I was basically trying to find out if you can do Bluetooth streaming of music even if you don't have the BMW Apps option on your car?
I finally connected via usb to my phone through the app option, and I did see spotify. But since I had not done that before and was still able to use iTunes radio, I wouldn't think you need the BMW apps to use that particular streaming service.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:10 PM

Thanks for checking. I'm guessing to stream the music only, it sounds like you can do so via Bluetooth, which is pretty cool. Can you also control your phone and skip songs, etc. via Bluetooth too?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
I use it with Pandora. Better than streaming it via BT because the track info would update via ConnectedDrive and not via BT.

Also, the app still needs the phone to be on and unlocked... I thought the update would eliminate the need for that... guess not.

Also, you guys notice Connecteddrive app store?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
Quote:
Thanks for checking. I'm guessing to stream the music only, it sounds like you can do so via Bluetooth, which is pretty cool. Can you also control your phone and skip songs, etc. via Bluetooth too?
Yes, you can use the steering wheel and radio buttons to skip songs and stuff. Also if you have iPhone, you can tap into Siri with holding the voice control button.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Bluetooth and Connected Apps are totally separate - you do not need Connected Apps to listen to Bluetooth music. In fact, if you connect your iPhone via USB for the Connected Apps, you will get a message telling you that the Bluetooth connection is being disconnected as you are connected via USB. Now, this is speaking from my experience. I do have the Enhanced Bluetooth package but I believe that is only so that I can add up to 4 phones via Bluetooth, and nothing to do with music streaming.

When your iPhone is connected by USB, you can access your iTunes music (or whatever music app you have dominant on your iPhone) as well as access the BMW apps like Spotify and Pandora.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Bluetooth and Connected Apps are totally separate - you do not need Connected Apps to listen to Bluetooth music. In fact, if you connect your iPhone via USB for the Connected Apps, you will get a message telling you that the Bluetooth connection is being disconnected as you are connected via USB. Now, this is speaking from my experience. I do have the Enhanced Bluetooth package but I believe that is only so that I can add up to 4 phones via Bluetooth, and nothing to do with music streaming.

When your iPhone is connected by USB, you can access your iTunes music (or whatever music app you have dominant on your iPhone) as well as access the BMW apps like Spotify and Pandora.
Thanks. If all goes well, I should be picking up the car by next week, which has the Connected Drive option on it, and can try all these different things out. Too bad you can't connect to Connected drive wirelessly. Sucks to have to run the wire from the phone, which I usually keep in a vent mounted holder. For Bluetooth music streaming on my current car, I had simply plugged in Bluetooth USB dongle in the armrest and it worked flawlessly.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
You can stream anything playing on your smart phone to your radio.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X4 35i
Quote:
That's a standard iPhone thing. The iPhone will add iTunes radio stations to playlists once you've added those stations in the music app. Works the same way in my 2008 G37 coupe's ancient iPod interface. Skipping songs works too. If you you run out of "skips", all you have to do is re-select the playlist.