Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-18-2015, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 F25
NBT post retrofit question

Finished NBT retrofit on my F25 - coming from Champ2. I didn't have sound on my HiFi - had to connect amp trigger wire to fuse box - now hear loud speaker pop overtime when I open the car - any solutions on how to fix it?

Also can't make my fuel consumption graph on NBT unit - i have Kombi_low - have you guys encountered this issue?
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: f25 x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paralel4444 View Post
Finished NBT retrofit on my F25 - coming from Champ2. I didn't have sound on my HiFi - had to connect amp trigger wire to fuse box - now hear loud speaker pop overtime when I open the car - any solutions on how to fix it?

Also can't make my fuel consumption graph on NBT unit - i have Kombi_low - have you guys encountered this issue?
Hello, I'm doing the same retrofit on my x3. How did you managed to install the NBT or what ZGW did you use?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2015, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 F25
I pretty much followed instructions from F30 forum. Do it at your own risk - I am not responsible for any consequences that might result from following these instructions. It might not work on your vehicle and might result in expensive repairs, serious malfunctions of the car, accidents and/or loss of warranty

In addition to head display and joystick you will need:

1.) Emulator and harness (I bought emulator with the unit (looks like regular cheap made in china thing)- and used the link below to buy harness for it):

- I used the following instructions to DIY harness:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=951660

2.) Coverpanel (lower) - I used PN: 51459201670

3.) Housing for head unit - I used PN: 51459193778 - please recheck the PN for this one !!! - you will also need couple of extra screws - I used the first 2 I found in my basement

4.) Head unit to display cable (if doesn't come with NBT) - I ordered cable for F30 - was too short -
it was painful but I cut it and soldered shielded Ethernet cable piece as an extension - make sure
that you connect the shielding foil - otherwise the screen will flicker from time to time.

5.) Removal of the old unit is analogous to described on F30 forums.

6.) As for the joystick - initially I used it with an old one - was kind of boring... Bought touch joystick and made cable myself and soldered it to my harness (see above). Used fragment of Ethernet cable (2 bucks at any dollar store) to make a cable. Also if you want to switch to touch joystick you will need a joystick itself plus controller (i used this part number 65829338800).
They are connected in parallel. Very easy to do.

7.) Coding was painful - Shawnsheridan helped me a lot with this part. Plenty of descriptions are available on bimmerfest.

8.) The wooden centre cover piece just snaps off - no issues (need to do it only if you want to replace a joystick).

9.) I found that DIY harness is very helpful - very easy to remove the whole retrofit whenever you need it.

10.) Ebay seller was helpful as well - they preinstalled the latest maps for me.

11.) Looking back not a hard thing to do at all.

12.) Lastly - I had an issue with sound - I have a factory installed HIFI system - the solution was to solder trigger wire from the amplifier (box in the left side of your trunk - the thinnest wire) to the fuse box free socket.

13.) I also had an issue with GPS signal reception - I used several GPS antennas and none of them worked inside the car - only worked if outside. Best in car reception was in the left upper corner of the windshield. What I ended up doing is connecting Sirius cable to the GPS antenna socket on the unit and then connecting it to the GPS socket on the car fin antenna (yes!!! it has 2 sockets - one for Sirius and one for GPS). Of course no satellite radio as a result - couldn't have it anyway since the head unit is from Europe. So if your NBT is from Europe do not bother buying GPS antenna - just used the one you already have - It took a while for me to realize that the fin antenna has 2 sockets - one for GPS and one for Sirius.

That is pretty much it. If you have any questions - drop me a line. I took pictures during the process and will post them when I find them.