Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 05-09-2015, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, 2012
How to clear pass. restraint message

My wife bought a used 2012 X3. There was no power to the front cig. lighter. I found a useful thread on this site that took me to the fuse box behind the glove box. Unfortunately, to replace the bad fuse, I disconnected an electrical terminal block to get my hand in there. Of course I reconnected it. Every since I get "Passenger Restraint Error" when the car is started. How can I clear that message, or will it clear on its own after a couple of weeks.?
OBD doesn't show error, or anything I can clear.
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Restraint errors have to be cleared at the dealer.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 M Roadster
That seems strange. Normally even if you disconnect airbag wires and other connections related to the SRS system as long as you don't turn on the ignition before you reconnect them you won't see any errors. Are you sure you reconnected everything? At this point even if you do you will see the error (since the ignition has already been turned on) but you might want to double check everything.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, 2012
I am sure I had the terminal firmly bedded and latched. After seeing the restraint error for a couple days, I went back and reattached it again to make sure I hadn't missed it, but it seemed fine. I will relent and take it to the dealer to have it re-set. In reading others posts, it might have been a good idea to disconnect and bleed down the power before I attempted the repair.
Thanks for the replies.

As for the Ultimate Driving Machine, I don't know what moron at BMW thought it was a good idea to place the fuse block behind the glove box. Only a small child can easily get their hand in there to replace a fuse.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
When they moved the front fuse box from the drop down drawer in the glove compartment to behind the tiny hole in the glove compartment, it became almost the bane of my existence when I needed to change a fuse or wanted to wire something to the fusebox. I really don't know what the intentions were, but that access hole does not serve its purpose!!! I had to remove the panel below the glove compartment to get access to it from the underside and that was also not easy!

And indeed the drivers' manual indicates that that hole is to access the fuse box. Yes, if you had hands of a baby and even then you couldn't reach them all!