Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 06-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
Travel Apps

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good ED travel planning app for the i-Phone?

Retired: 2010 535|| White, Natural Brown interior, Sports, SAT, iPOD, Rear airbags

Retired - 2008 528 - Premium, iPod, Cold Weather, Titanium with black interior

Advertisement
Old 06-02-2012, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
I guess it depends on what you mean by "planning". I use TripIt to construct itineraries. I like the interface and the way it scrapes details from flight and hotel reservations, etc. But I usually end up editing the intermediate product on a desktop. It then sends alerts, both for departures and arrival and for changes, cancellations, etc. The basic version is free, but I actually use the "Pro" version, branded from Amex.

I use FlightTrack to track other people's flights, as it is lower overhead than TripIt. The exception is my son, as he uses TripIt and our calendars are automatically synced.

Lonely Planet has a good guide to Munich, useful if you'll be spending time there. The iPhone version was free at one point; it maybe still is.

The app I use the most is Open Table, but I think the only coverage they have in Europe is London. But it is great for SF and Hawaii, if you are headed in that direction.

There is a new (free) Amex Departures app with city guides, but while I have downloaded it I have not checked its European coverage. (Just looked at it...London and Paris only in Europe.)

On the ground, we make heavy use of bilingual dictionaries. I like Collins, and have stopped carrying phrasebooks. But my pronunciation is so bad, I often just point to the word on the screen.

Hope this helps.
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:46 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
My favorite tools are Booking.com to find reasonably priced and European-rated accomodations, then using TripAdvisor to verify the ratings of other visitors. I throw out the low and high scores and judge based on the remaining reviews. I also use Mapsource and BaseCamp in sync with my Garmin Nuvi to map out things in advance. From there I will co-ordinate my Garmin maps to my actual GPS and then check out the route again through Google Maps, followed by Google Earth. I love checking out the satellite views of places I'm visiting. In fact, I pretty much anally plan out the entire period of my trip far in advance, and then change half of it once I get to Germany.

TripIt is also a fabulous tool for keeping track of one's intinerary.

I also like to check out the websites of towns I'll be visiting. Most German towns have websites which are simply the town named followed by ".de". Such as "fuessen.de" or "berchtesgaden.de".

Last edited by Gluhwein; 06-02-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: '91 e34 535i, 2012 M3 Cab
I'm a big fan of tripadvisor when traveling in Europe and especially the "near me now" feature if you end up in a town where you had done little or no research, etc.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
TripIt is my number one travel App. Keeps all my info in one place including confirmation numbers, addresses, notes etc.

Rest of the time, I just sort of wander around on foot or behind the wheel and take what comes.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 06-04-2012, 06:12 AM
(aharding)ED #1 Sept 2012

Mein Auto: BMW GC & MB SL500
I have an Amex card, how do you get the Tripit Pro Amex version?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aharding View Post
I have an Amex card, how do you get the Tripit Pro Amex version?
Check here http://www.amextravelapp.com/faq

Google is your friend.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper