Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 540i,89 Por 930,Vett
Question Wheel speed sensor symptoms.

Hi all:

Looking for someone with knowledge on wheel sensors.From the dozen posts i have read here I have narrowed it down to the rear left wheel sensor. 2000 540i

Symptoms. Car had all the abs,traction control, brake lights come on. Sent the ABS module away for a rebuild put it back in and cleared the codes had one P0500 and it worked for 2 weeks.
Now all the same lights are on and my speedo does not work. As above Im now leaning towards the Rear left wheel sensor.
Can anyone confirm that this may be my issue.

PS. tried to take it out and broke the bolt holding it in and the damn sensor will not come out. Will have to order a new one and drill out the old one being careful not to hit the ring.

Help anyone ?

Last edited by Bennt771; 06-14-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
Get a BMW sensor, not an aftermarket one. I tried one of those, and it was slightly too long so that it rubbed on the ring and was damaged within the first mile.
'02 325it Orient Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blu/Grey
'95 M3 Cosmos Blk/Blk
Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennt771 View Post
... I have narrowed it down to the rear right wheel sensor. 2000 540i
...all the same lights are on and my speedo does not work. As above Im now leaning towards the Rear driver side wheel sensor...
TIP: the left & right side of the car is determined by the position of the driver from behind the steering wheel...that way, regardless if you have a LHD or RHD vehicle...using the term left/right will always be easily identifiable versus using driver side/passenger side...which will be different based on if cars are LHD or RHD...which can also be confounding when inquires are made on an international forum (such as this).

The speed sensor that feeds data to the speedometer is the one on the rear left side according to the info below.

But if you haven't done so yet...Bluebee has posted very thorough links to threads that explain how to diagnose the "trifecta"...again, if you haven't read any of her threads...just do a google search for "bimmerfest trifecta bluebee" and you should see a thread listed in the results. Find a post by Bluebee...and click the links she has inserted in her replies.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 AM

Woops, rear left. Thx for being nice about it. Rear Left. Original post corrected.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: little red wagon
When I had my ASC issues, I purchased INPA and watched the output of all four wheel speed sensors.
It also allowed me to read the ASC error codes.

INPA was part of a larger package and included Ediabas / DIS / SSS / GT1 for $36.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_VQ View Post
When I had my ASC issues, I purchased INPA and watched the output of all four wheel speed sensors.
It also allowed me to read the ASC error codes.

INPA was part of a larger package and included Ediabas / DIS / SSS / GT1 for $36.
Can you poiont out what one you got ? Looking for a hand held if that is at all possible for these cars that reads abs/dsc
Old 06-19-2013, 12:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series E39
It's either your wheel sensors or your abs computer.
If a DMM shows a sensor bad, then it's that sensor.
If none of the sensors are bad, then it's the abs computer.
It's that simple.
As QSilver7 said, it's all in the existing thread.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:50 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
wait... so you had your abs module rebuilt with out pulling the abs code?
what was the abs code?

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 528 98
I don't rally understand it either.
You had it rebuilt, what was the trouble code when you sent it in form repair, did it indicate on the same wheel?
Before you replace stuff there are a few test you can perform.

1. spray the abs module with cooling spray it should be white of frost.
Start your car if it turns of when you start the car and then comes on again in a few seconds then the problem is in the module itself eaven do it point on a wheelspeed sensor.
I had this problem the first time it came on and figured it out after replacing the sensor wisch was not faulty.

2. if it stays on on above test take an multimeter and rad ohms it should rad about a 1000 ohms to 1.1k if its 0 then you have a broken circuit in your sensor and its most likely fauly and can be replaced.

After 2 years my abs and tracktion control iluminated on dash, fault code "front wheel speed sensor right" together with "can failure" " intermittend reading" it came and whent during the year too be more constant and suddenly stay on.
and i performeed test 1 with the spray and it passed the light remained on so i considered module not being the cause.

did test 2.
Un hocked the sensor from car, did reading with multimeter reading 0.

Took a chance and replaced it with a 21 $ sensor from ebay, lights went of when rolling of the lift at workshop.
Only seen one thing so far it does not come on if you flip the key from on -off- and back right away.
Just must wait aproxily 6-10 seconds before turning it on again and it will illuminate every time on self check.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 PM

Thank-you all for the input. I have had it tested and it was the rear left sensor. New one installed, all works now.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:01 AM

How much was the sensor, was it easy to remove?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 AM

Sensor was approx $100. It seems mine was stuck in the hole, so i had to drill it out half way then use a pick to get the rest out. All in all an hour or so...

Last edited by Bennt771; 06-21-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:01 AM

I had the same problem with rear right sensor screw came out ok used cordless screwdriver.
When we replaced the front sensor mechanic used a driver that runs on compressed air, snapped one screw off, sensor came out ok no problem just pulled it out by hand.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 AM

Mein Auto: 740i
Hello I have been reading through your notes regards sensors I have same problem with rear drivers side sensor only I damaged the bearing race. I have installed a new bearing and the sensor but I think the cheap one I put in is not working cost 20. Now looking at a. ATE sensor part no 417110230 cost 70 how can I test the cheap one before I throw more money into it
Old 08-26-2013, 05:58 AM

I dont know if or how you can test it. It may pass all tests. Thing is.... these cars do not like cheap wheel speed sensor's there are posts about this. They just dont work right.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:17 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I'd take five minutes to quick test the sensors with a DMM ...
Quote:
1. Go to the first thread in the E39 forums (the VERY best of E39 Links)
2. Search for ABS (you'll find this post)
3. Click on this canonical summary in that post (in addition, see Bill's 'logic' of testing ABS sensors).
Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 740i
Thanks for your input it all looks a bit complicated but ill give it a go I would like to add the new wheel sensor I fitted was reluctant to go in and I rubbed it down with out going near the tip would that cause it not to work has it was the only way it would go in
Old 08-12-2014, 11:43 PM

More information about the different kinds of speeds interpreted by the bimmer ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Help!! Speedometer not working!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rchomp84 View Post
Nevermind i found in another thread that it may be related to left rear sensor since speedo and odo arent working.
The threads I already referred you to have all that information, and more.
- How to remove and replace the four BMW E39 ABS related WSS wheel speed sensors (1) & which wss innervates the speedometer (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rchomp84 View Post
when i replace sensor does it start showing the actual mileage or just start from where it stopped?
The mileage storage has nothing to do with the wheel speed sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windragon14 View Post
stupid question. What side is left side? passenger or driver side?
Left, when it comes to speed sensors, is driver side.

See also:
- How to physically test & repair the Bosch ABS control module (1) & how to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1) & what are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1) & why you want to only buy oem wheel speed sensors (1) & how to remove and replace the four BMW E39 ABS related WSS wheel speed sensors (1) & which wss innervates the speedometer (1) & explanations by 540iman as to why the fancy diagnostic tools always fail to properly diagnose the trifecta or bifecta (1) & where to get the fancy schmancy diagnostic tools for free once you're aware of their limitations (1) & why it's probably not the ABS hydraulic pump failing (1) & how to properly test the BPS brake pressure sensor (1) & how to properly test and replace the steering angle sensor (1) & Quick99Si's explanation of why the 10-minute wheel speed sensor diode-action quick test doesn't always work, especially on non-OEM wheel speed sensors (1) & what's this about the P0500 setting the SES (1) & why you want to wait a week before getting a smog test after removing your ABS control module (1) &, if you really want to try, how to attempt to disable the ABS/DSC but keep the speedometer and mpg cluster readouts (1)
Old 08-13-2014, 12:15 AM

Mein Auto: 00 540i M-06 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjo View Post
Thanks for your input it all looks a bit complicated but ill give it a go I would like to add the new wheel sensor I fitted was reluctant to go in and I rubbed it down with out going near the tip would that cause it not to work has it was the only way it would go in
i can atest to these not liking cheap sensor...its sounds like it was not made to the correct spec...ive bought the cheap sensors from ebay a total of 7 times for various different sensor failures... only 1 time did it work out the other 6 times i had to spend more and go to the dealership and buy it..and every single time the problem was instantly resolved.. the one time it worked out for me was when i replaced the O2 sensors... got lucky iguess

if your going to get a less expensive...go with meyle at the very cheapest... they have always worked for me even though they way cheaper than dealership
Old 12-05-2014, 09:41 PM

People are still asking which wheel speed sensor innervates the speedometer ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Speed sensor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazares731 View Post
Which one would cause the speedo not to work
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstern View Post
Speedo gets its signal from the left rear wheel speed sensor.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
INPA - how to navigate to wheel speed sensor menu

I have INPA working, but cannot find the menu to check wheel speed readings, can you guys please help me with how to navigate to the wheel speed sensor monitoring menu in INPA?

Thank you
Old 01-19-2015, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 528i
Smile transmission "ghosts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennt771 View Post
Hi all:

Looking for someone with knowledge on wheel sensors.From the dozen posts i have read here I have narrowed it down to the rear left wheel sensor. 2000 540i

Symptoms. Car had all the abs,traction control, brake lights come on. Sent the ABS module away for a rebuild put it back in and cleared the codes had one P0500 and it worked for 2 weeks.
Now all the same lights are on and my speedo does not work. As above Im now leaning towards the Rear left wheel sensor.
Can anyone confirm that this may be my issue.

PS. tried to take it out and broke the bolt holding it in and the damn sensor will not come out. Will have to order a new one and drill out the old one being careful not to hit the ring.

Help anyone ?
I am new to forum posting, so please forgive me, if I have posted this before...

There are a lot of "posts" on transmission problems when the ABS and Traction Control Lights come on "simultaneously" on the dashboard. More alarmingly for the E39 (I have the 1997) does not shift out of 2nd.

There is nothing wrong with the Transmission!

The transmission shifting is controlled by the Schmidtt triggered pulse supplied by the front wheel sensors. These sensors do not particularly fail; however, the wires connecting them to the ABS will wear-out over time.

Some expert mechanics suggest replacing these at each brake pad replacement. I ordered mine for $40 on ebay for the set of 4.

In the interim, you can shift the car manually by shifting down to 3rd and shifting back to drive at each RPM delta (usually 2000-3000 RPM)
Old 01-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyman939 View Post
you can shift the car manually by shifting down to 3rd and shifting back to drive at each RPM delta (usually 2000-3000 RPM)
THis is the proper way to grenade a transmission.. subsequently This is where the term "Autotraggic" originate's from

see appendex A section 1 "transmission in the wild"

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 01-19-2015, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 528i
certainly above my "pay grade"

again, new to forums, apologize, if I insult you, but must ask!

So, i bought this BMW for my wife, and she is driving to return my daughter to the airport. She phones me that the car is "running LOUD" and does not sound "good". So, I ask her repeated questions and I ask her to read me the TACH reading. She says "what's a TACH" and i calmly say the dial new to the speedometer.

I say "what does it read" and she says somewhere between 5 and 6. My blood pressure is a little elevated and I say is it "red lined" and she says "what does that mean?" and i say is it in the "red" and she says "no".

At this point, she is 40 miles from home, and i think that i am about to lose an engine and i say try shifting "down" to 3rd and shift back to drive. This works!

i say, shift "down" to 3rd and shift up to "drive" to get the car home. It worked.

what do you suggest that i should have done?
Old 01-19-2015, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: 00 540i M-06 X5 4.4
mine just recently had the traction control light come on..it went out for a few minutes then came back... everything works except the traction control...