Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-19-2015, 10:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 BMW 540ia
Dead Key or Something Else ?

All

I have looked at numerous threads on this board regarding re-programming my key for a 2001 E39 540i. Specifically I had a dead car battery (completely flat) which after having replaced, the remote function of both keys does not work. I tried the re-programming mentioned in the threads found here and still nothing. Manually everything works fine. It would seem like a phenomenal coincidence if both remote keys have completely died, battery wise at the same time, so wondered if there is anything else I could be missing.

Thanks for any advice / help as always
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2015, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...97#post3900597

Read post #16 and follow it exactly, and I do mean exactly. No offense.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Witout seeing the instructions you followed or you actually detailing what you did specifically...theres no way for us to know what you did or did not do. Some people leave a door open or only have the drivers door unlocked...or have the key in the wrong position.

Check fuel door as others suggested...by inserting key in driver's door lock and lock car...walk around to check fuel door. Using the lock button on the center console WILL NOT lock the fuel door...so don't use it for this test.
  • KL R=ignition position 1
  • Make sue ALL doors are closed
  • Make sure ALL doors are UNLOCKED
  • Only insert the 1st key into the ignition
  • Remove the key from ignition as instructed in STEP 2
  • If you have multiple remotes, start their programming on STEP 3 where you start pressing the buttons

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 06-19-2015, 03:38 PM

Q, you were right should have pointed to the post. It was actually your instructions I followed to the letter Still nothing. Now again, manually using the key, all doors unlock without issue (so assume no linkage issue there). Still will not program the key.

The only thing I could see (trying to fault isolate here) is that when I lock the doors manually with the key the fuel door is not locked (is that by design when using manually or should it lock too ?). Didn't know if that was indicative of the fuse issue you mentioned in the other threads or not ?

So what I am doing right now (just in case key battery is just dead, albeit affecting 2 keys) is I have the car battery plugged into a CTEK while I have one key in the ignition and turned to position 1. I saw this in the other thread (think it may have been by you as well) to allow the key to be recharged while also keeping car battery good.

Other than these 2 things I'm not sure what more I can do as again have followed your programming guidelines to the T multiple times with both keys and nothing.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat_1 View Post
Q, you were right should have pointed to the post. It was actually your instructions I followed to the letter Still nothing. Now again, manually using the key, all doors unlock without issue (so assume no linkage issue there). Still will not program the key.

The only thing I could see (trying to fault isolate here) is that when I lock the doors manually with the key the fuel door is not locked (is that by design when using manually or should it lock too ?). Didn't know if that was indicative of the fuse issue you mentioned in the other threads or not ?

So what I am doing right now (just in case key battery is just dead, albeit affecting 2 keys) is I have the car battery plugged into a CTEK while I have one key in the ignition and turned to position 1. I saw this in the other thread (think it may have been by you as well) to allow the key to be recharged while also keeping car battery good.

Other than these 2 things I'm not sure what more I can do as again have followed your programming guidelines to the T multiple times with both keys and nothing.

Thanks
Your fuel filler door not locking IS the sign that there's an issue with your central locking system. The fuel door is part of the central locking system & when you lock the car using the remote or driver's door lock cylinder...the car is DOUBLE-LOCKED (exterior & interior door handles will NOT open the doors)...and all doors + fuel filler door is locked. When you lock the car from inside...lock button on doors, center console, or if drive off locking is initiated...the vehicle is SINGLE-LOCKED & the fuel filler door doesn't lock.

Yes, you need to check the central locking fuse in the trunk because it controls the fuel filler flap's locking actuator. If the fuse is blown replace it...then reinitialize. Remember to double check this fuse after replacing because if the actuator has failed...it could blow the fuse again. In this case disconnect the electrical harness to the actuator which will allow you to program the remote keys...only the fuel flap won't lock until the actuator is replaced...or you can live without it locking.
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 06-20-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:38 AM

@Q @All

Just wanted to post an update. After completely recharging the key (using the battery terminal hook up piece) still nothing as was suspected due to the filler door piece. Replaced fuse 53 and attempted the re-program and bingo all programmed fine. Similarly fuel filler door is now locking properly as well so hope no further issue there as well.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated
Old 06-22-2015, 10:27 AM

Great...glad all seems well. Thanks for posting back that your issue seems to be resolved.
(SOLD)