Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-19-2015, 04:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Another solution to M54 CCV...

I saw this in BMW X5 M54 engine forum, interesting cheap solution to the CCV.
For you guys who want to try this modified CCV system...

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-problems.html

Very clever solution to BMW convoluted CCV design.
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2015, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
A fairly easy DIY. A good alternative to replacing your CCV, which is a huge PITA to access. Gotta see the long term feedback a on this. Thanx for posting, Cam!
Old 01-19-2015, 10:22 AM
Driving Dorethy

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Wow, incredibly simple. I read the detailed thread about by-passing the CCV and installing a catch can but this is much cleaner and cheaper.

That said, I agree with Fudman, long term results would be nice to see. As stated in the thread, it will be nice to see if oil consumption drops (I'm at ~1qt/1k miles on my M54).
Old 01-19-2015, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
I'm with Doru on this one. I switched to the cold-weather CCV and dipstick tube over 2.5 years and 40k miles ago, and I have not seen one bit of "mayo" on the engine oil filler cap, no codes, and no strange noises that suggest a failing CCV.

It was a challenging job, especially with my gorilla-sized hands and without pulling the intake manifold. But I don't regret it one bit, even if it was much, much more expensive than a few lengths of rubber hose and some hose clamps (darn you, overpriced dipstick tube).

There are many options, it's a hot debate for sure, but I'm happy with the result
Old 01-20-2015, 07:21 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
We should reference this to one of the CCV redesign threads...

Maybe one of these?
- How to do a CCV delete (1) & how to test, clean, & redesign the original BMW dipstick guide tube to prevent CCV vent clogs (1)

Dunno which one to choose, out of this list ...
- How to test the crankcase ventilation (aka CCV, CVV, PCV, CPV, & OSV) pressure regulating valve system (1) & the canonical bimmerfest Fudman M54 CCV replacement DIY (1) & the bimmerforums Jason5Driver M54 CCV DIY (1) & the BavAuto M54 CCV DIY (1) & sorely needed clarification on how the M54 CCV vacuum port works on the M52 CCV valve connection to the fuel pressure regulator connection (1) & how to do a CCV delete (1) & how to test, clean, & redesign the original BMW dipstick guide tube to prevent CCV vent clogs (1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ccvdelete.jpg
Views:	1377
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	487532  
Old 01-20-2015, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 530i, 330i, M3
Just to be clear, the X5 solution is EXACTLY the same as the catch can operation, except that the catch can is omitted and everything is dumped back into the intake distribution manifold. My personal experience is that oil consumption is dramatically reduced by eliminating the stock CCV, regardless of how you do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeSuspect View Post
Wow, incredibly simple. I read the detailed thread about by-passing the CCV and installing a catch can but this is much cleaner and cheaper.

That said, I agree with Fudman, long term results would be nice to see. As stated in the thread, it will be nice to see if oil consumption drops (I'm at ~1qt/1k miles on my M54).

Last edited by flyride; 01-20-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2006-530xi; 1998-528i
Or... when you drive shorter distances, make sure that it's at higher revs. Take the car out for a run on the highway from time to time. The engine is meant to be driven hot. You can be getting hot air from the HVAC when engine core temp is 80 degrees C. It likes to obe at 105 degrees C at least. Hard to get there in suburban or city traffic, red light to red light, while one does the errands. :-)
Old 01-20-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyride View Post
Just to be clear, the X5 solution is EXACTLY the same as the catch can operation, except that the catch can is omitted and everything is dumped back into the intake tract.
I'm thoroughly confused about what the final routing looks like.

Would someone who actually understands the modified flow diagram correct where I err below?
  1. You replace the CCV with a $3 PCV valve (P/N: PCV1124DL) and about $10 of hoses, plugs, & clamps.
  2. Of the 2 liquid hoses and 3 vapor hoses, you reroute & plug as follows?
    • Vent Pipe [liquid oil from valve cover to CCV]
      • (top stays connected to valve cover)?
      • (bottom goes to PCV)?
    • Vent Hose [liquid oil from CCV to dipstick guide tube]
      • (top is plugged off)
      • (bottom goes to dipstick guide tube)
    • Vacuum hose [or endcap on M54]
      • (top is plugged off if it existed?)
    • Return Pipe [oil vapor into intake manifold]
      • (top stays connected to intake manifold?)
      • (bottom goes into PCV valve?)
    • Connecting Line [oil vapor into intake manifold]
      • (top stays connected to intake manifold?)
      • (bottom is connected to Return Pipe?)
  3. The procedure applies to I6 E39's, E46's, E53's with the M54-M52TU engine.

What confuses me is what the final flow is for the oil-laden vapors from the engine manifold.

How does the PCV mod change the flow diagram below?

Specifically, how does it change this flow?

Removing the CCV from the diagram, what specifically do we change below to depict the PCV mod described?

Is this the position of the PCV valve and hoses?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ccv.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	487547   Click image for larger version

Name:	pcv.gif
Views:	693
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	487553   Click image for larger version

Name:	ccv_solution.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	487555   Click image for larger version

Name:	m54_ccv_diagram_bmw_e46_e39.png
Views:	511
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	487557   Click image for larger version

Name:	modified_m54_diagram.png
Views:	1016
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	487558  

Last edited by bluebee; 01-20-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I'm thoroughly confused about what the final routing looks like.

Is this the position of the PCV valve and hoses?
The above is correct. If you have a catch can it goes between the #2 vent pipe and the PCV. The #4 dipstick vent hose is abandoned and the dipstick inlet is plugged. If you did this on an older car that took #6 fuel pressure regulator vacuum from the CCV, you would need to get it from somewhere else.

See this post for exact routing: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=220

PCV's that have been referenced by most posters that have done this are PCV345 and PCV1175DL, which are interchangeable. The 1124 (and many others) may work as well. I don't think there's that much difference in flow rate on any of them. Unfortunately, there do not seem to be specifications published on PCV flow rates.

Last edited by flyride; 01-20-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Vent Pipe [liquid oil from valve cover to CCV]
The crankcase vent (what the vent pipe attaches to) pulls gases from the crankcase - which include combustion products and vaporized liquids (oil and water). The CCV/PCV system is intended to keep those gases from being released into the environment as a pollutant. If a stream of liquid is coming from there, something is very, very wrong. When you open your oil fill cap right after shutdown and see a wisp of smoke escape, that's what we're talking about.

The purpose of a CCV or catch can is to reconstitute most of those vaporized products into liquids and return them to the oil pan (CCV) or remove them from the system (catch can). Without either, all the vapor is delivered into the intake and re-ingested by the engine.

Last edited by flyride; 01-20-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyride View Post
If you have a catch can it goes between the #2 vent pipe and the PCV.
There are three related threads, so, I asked in the "catch can" thread, for clarification of exactly WHERE the catch can goes (and what the exact purpose of the catch can is).

These three threads are related, but distinctly separate:
- How the CCV system works (1)
- How the -CCV +PCV mod works (1) <=== the purpose of this thread
- How the -CCV +PCV +CATCHCAN mod works (1)

To understand how the -CCV+PCV mod works, here's a summary of how the CCV system "normally" works:

The question now, is how this -CCV+PCV mod actually works (under both low vacuum and high-vacuum operation).

Can someone take a stab at what happens to the oil that would normally be "separated" by the CCV (or by the catch can)?

Note: I fixed the location and direction of the PCV valve in the photo above.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw_e39_catchcan_ccv_mods.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	487769  

Last edited by bluebee; 01-22-2015 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
The question now, is how this -CCV+PCV mod actually works (under both low vacuum and high-vacuum operation).

Can someone take a stab at what happens to the oil that would normally be "separated" by the CCV (or by the catch can)?
I think this was covered in the other thread, but crossposting for completeness:

What comes out of the crankcase vent is vapor.
  • If there is a CCV, some of that vapor is condensed into liquid droplets and returned to the oil pan. Whatever remains is delivered to the intake manifold.
  • If there is a catch can, some of that vapor is condensed into liquid droplets and deposited into the catch can. Whatever remains is delivered to the intake manifold.
  • If there is no catch can or CCV (the X5 PCV example), 100% of the vapor is delivered to the intake manifold.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:35 PM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Mein Auto: 1999 K1200 & 2001 525
So on the M54, is the only line that is deleted the #4 Vent Hose?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:51 AM

There is a unique thread today on temporarily BYPASSING the CCV, for reasons that are up to the owner, but one of which can be to TEST whether the smoke or other symptoms are due to the CCV:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > PCV Crankcase Vent Valve Temporary Installations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alika808 View Post
I installed the PCV temporary within 1 hour. You need to replace the tubing (item #2, item #3 and item #4) with longer hoses but use the end of each tubes that came with it. This is only temporary until you have enough time to replace the PCV under the manifold. It cost me $10.00 for the hose replacement.

See also:
- How the CCV system works (1) & how the -CCV +PCV mod works (1) & how the -CCV +PCV +CATCHCAN mod works (1)
Old 06-22-2015, 08:48 AM

Another non-aftermarket ccv-delete was proposed today for discussion.
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > OEM Solution to getting rid of the CCV? Kind of ingenious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianE31 View Post
http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1066308

Basically replacing the M54 valve cover with a M56 one... Anyone think this would work? I'm not familiar with the problems (if any) that the M56 has relating to CCV issues (losing oil, mayo build up, etc) and whether the integrated CCV system is serviceable or not.

Thoughts?