Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-19-2015, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: '98 528I-E39
Washer Motor replacement - how many labor hours

1998 528I-E39

I had to have my door handle replaced last week - $141 for the EOM part/painted and the repair shop charged almost 3 hours labor for the install - should have been 2 tops. This week they need to replace the wiper motor. I ordered the part - in Tuesday and scheduled for a Wednesday installation. I have been quoted $200 labor. AT $90 an hour, this too seems excessive - 2+ hours? I watched a video on Yu tube and it took the technician 1 hour. If I had the tools I would do do myself. Anyone agree/disagree?
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2015, 11:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Well, if one watches someone else doing a job it always seems easy, and when it comes to pay, you think it's too much...
In this case, just invest in some tools and do the job yourself. You'll be spending less $$, and you get to keep the tools which will come in handy.

I'm not taking the mechanic's side, but before complaining about rates and such, just go ahead and tackle a job. I know I did some of those "simple" jobs that almost turned into a nightmare due to seized/rusted bolts... A simple 20 min job turned into a 3 Hr horror movie in a jiffy.......Sometimes the mechanics are the best choice..
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
30-min job...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=400924
Old 01-19-2015, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Cam, he was talking about the wiper motor?
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 01-19-2015, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: '99 540i
oops

Last edited by MKJS; 01-19-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: '98 528I-E39
Washer Motor Replacement - how many labor hours

appreciate the responses - I was hoping to know if anyone knew what the published estimates are for this repair in terms of hours - what the shop uses to estimate and bill.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: '99 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucci View Post
appreciate the responses - I was hoping to know if anyone knew what the published estimates are for this repair in terms of hours - what the shop uses to estimate and bill.
LOL, sorry, you asked "what time is it," and I told you how to build a watch! Sorry, no clue about what the shop allows for r & r the washer motor.

I do know that I have to tackle that project myself, but not until after I replace the osv, timing chain etc.

doc

Last edited by MKJS; 01-19-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
I totally agree with Doru's posts.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

The above link is for Pelican Parts DIY for this job. They quote 4 hours for the job. I'm sure this is DIY time for someone who works on their own car. So 2+ hours you were quotes sounds reasonable. It may only take the tech 1+ hours but you'll be billed for what they estimated. With all due respect, these shops are in business to make money. They have spent tens of thousands of dollars on tools, etc. and need to make a return on their investments. I was a Service Manager at a local indie for many years-they did excellent work but were not cheap.

As Pelican says in their DIY, the wiper arms may be rusted to the spindles. I can see getting stuck right there spending hours trying to persuade the wipers arms to leave the spindles. Just like a broken or seized bolt, this type of thing will drive you nuts. But I do encourage you to attempt the job, as Doru's said.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i, 1987 Carrera,
Remove the trim at the bottom of the windscreen, note, the fasteners are pushums, not screws.

Then the air filter boxes, both sides, the the rest of the plastic, don't break the fasteners.

Next get a little gear puller for the wipers and remove both. Pay attention to the way the left wiper is fastened.

You will need a torx and a socket wrench to remove the 4 screws holding the wiper mechanism.

Unplug the wiper motor and remove the complete assembly.

Install the new motor.

Reassemble the motor and mechanism.

Operate the wipers and then switch them off to get the motor shaft in the parked position.

Install the driver side wiper, then move the wiper crank so the the wiper parks correctly. Then fasten the wiper shaft to the mechanism.

When the wiper is parking correctly, remove it, reassemble all the plastic parts and then install both wipers.
07 CRV
Old 01-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
he was talking about the wiper motor?
Typing /wiper motor f3 in the bestlinks nets this ...
- Troubleshooting or replacing the wiper motor (1)

See also:
- Where to buy wiper blade refills (1) & a DIY for replacing your windshield wiper blades (1) & how to replace the wiper arm (1) (2) & troubleshooting or replacing the wiper motor (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) or wiper switch (1) or wiper relay (1) & how to replace the wind shield rain sensor (1) (2) & retrofitting an aftermarket rain sensor (1) (2) (3) & how to remove Rain-X water wiper streaks & spots on windshield glass (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)