Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Pre-requisites:

Drive Assistence package (Lane Departure warning, High Beam Assistence)

What we did so far:

1) 8TH to VO
2) HU_CIC, 3001 EXBOX, SPEEDLIMIT_INFO = aktiv
3) KOMBI, 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration, SPEED LIMIT GENERATION = sli_gen2
4) KOMBI, 3003 FZG_Ausstattung, SPEED_LIMIT = aktiv
5) KAFAS, 3010 SLI_CODING, SLI_ON_OFF = SLI_ON
6) KAFAS, 3010 SLI_CODING, CODE_ELECTRIC_HORIZON = nicht_aktiv
7) KAFAS, 3010 SLI_CODING, Country_code_display = wert_3
8) KAFAS, 3010 SLI_CODING, UNIT DISPLAY = wert_4
9) KAFAS, 3020 KAFAS_COMMON, COUNTRY_VARIATION = wert_3
10) Turned on Speed Limit Info in the display.

This wil read speed limits once in a while but the speed limit info stays for few seconds only...

enabling CODE_ELECTRIC_HORIZON makes the icon stay permanently but the car stops reading the speed limits. All our cars comes with CEH active whihc gives us a feeling that it must me activ and there are osme other dependent parameters whihc are required to be configured
What language this?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Pre-requisites:

Drive Assistence package (Lane Departure warning, High Beam Assistence)

What we did so far:

1) 8TH to VO
2) HU_CIC, 3001 EXBOX, SPEEDLIMIT_INFO = aktiv
3) KOMBI, 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration, SPEED LIMIT GENERATION = sli_gen2
4) KOMBI, 3003 FZG_Ausstattung, SPEED_LIMIT = aktiv

This wil read speed limits once in a while but the speed limit info stays for few seconds only...

enabling CODE_ELECTRIC_HORIZON makes the icon stay permanently but the car stops reading the speed limits. All our cars comes with CEH active whihc gives us a feeling that it must me activ and there are osme other dependent parameters whihc are required to be configured
Assuming for a moment that the SLI FSC Code is only required on newer firmware, similar to how the 6NR FSC Code only became a requirement after the v.42 CIC firmware, and that this could be made to work on older firmware without an FSC Code, besides adding 8TH to the VO, have you added 8TD?

S8THA SPEED LIMIT INFO
S8TDA Decoding, speed limit info

I would add both 8TH and 8TD to the VO, write it to the car, and then Code HU_CIC, KOMBI, and KAFAS to the VO and see what you get.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Assuming for a moment that the SLI FSC Code is only required on newer firmware, similar to how the 6NR FSC Code only became a requirement after the v.42 CIC firmware, and that this could be made to work on older firmware without an FSC Code, besides adding 8TH to the VO, have you added 8TD?

S8THA SPEED LIMIT INFO
S8TDA Decoding, speed limit info

I would add both 8TH and 8TD to the VO, write it to the car, and then Code HU_CIC, KOMBI, and KAFAS to the VO and see what you get.
Oh, and one more thing to consider.

When coding based on the VO, E-Sys and ISTA/P are smart enough to code based on the vehicle's Production Date as defined in the VO. So, even if you add 8TH and 8TD to your VO, and E-Sys accepts the options and successfully calculates FP, and you write the updated VO to the vehicle, when you CODE the affected ECU's based on the VO, it will NOT code the ECU's using the added Option.

So for example, if you added 6NR, you would need to change the VO Production Date to 0311, which is when BMW Apps first became available as an option, if your car's actual production date was prior to that (e.g. 0910), in order to code the Combox and CIC based on 6NR.

I am not sure exactly when SLI became available as an option, and that date too may even be chassis specific as well, but that would be the earliest VO Date you could use, if coding based on the VO with 8TH and 8TD added to it.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i F13
"I would add both 8TH and 8TD to the VO, write it to the car, and then Code HU_CIC, KOMBI, and KAFAS to the VO and see what you get."

I am sorry for my stupidity, but How can I do that?
How can I add something to the VO? I have read all the documents. Is that what is written in the "E-Sys - How to change FA in F-series car" pdf file?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisadam View Post
"I would add both 8TH and 8TD to the VO, write it to the car, and then Code HU_CIC, KOMBI, and KAFAS to the VO and see what you get."

I am sorry for my stupidity, but How can I do that?
How can I add something to the VO? I have read all the documents. Is that what is written in the "E-Sys - How to change FA in F-series car" pdf file?
Yes. FA = VO.

But, SLI will not work without FSC Code.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 04-10-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i F13
Thanks Shawn!
And is there a way to get that FSC code?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisadam View Post
Thanks Shawn!
And is there a way to get that FSC code?
If there is, it is through BMW Dealer or Parts seller with access to BMW After Sales Portal (ASAP).

Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: F10 520d M Sport 11/2012
If you look in ETK for the SLI retrofit LDW is a pre-requisite but there is no mention of an FSC code that has to be ordered, only either an IBAC code or a manual vehicle order to be ordered from BMW Head Quarters.

For the BMW Apps retrofit it does say an FSC has to be ordered as we know.

I have SLI from factory & my VO contains only 8TH, I am sure 8TD is for disabling of SLI for countries where is is prohibited, a bit like -TELD which disables SOS feature.
What BMW do is rather than having to load a new VO with a particular option code removed they have conversion paths in ISTA/P which add extra VO codes to disable functions.

I will check all the FSCs that are enabled in my car tomorrow & let you know what they are.

Also looking at ETK again there is a different part no. for cars built before & after 07/12 with the KAFAS camera which I am sure is the change from KAFAS to KAFAS2.

Last edited by mcrussell; 04-10-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrussell View Post
If you look in ETK for the SLI retrofit LDW is a pre-requisite but there is no mention of an FSC code that has to be ordered, only either an IBAC code or a manual vehicle order to be ordered from BMW Head Quarters.

For the BMW Apps retrofit it does say an FSC has to be ordered as we know.

I have SLI from factory & my VO contains only 8TH, I am sure 8TD is for disabling of SLI for countries where is is prohibited, a bit like -TELD which disables SOS feature.
What BMW do is rather than having to load a new VO with a particular option code removed they have conversion paths in ISTA/P which add extra VO codes to disable functions.

I will check all the FSCs that are enabled in my car tomorrow & let you know what they are.

Also looking at ETK again there is a different part no. for cars built before & after 07/12 with the KAFAS camera which I am sure is the change from KAFAS to KAFAS2.
I don't know exactly what 8TD is for; I have been trying to figure that out, although I do not think it is disabler of 8TH as you suggest.

According to the ISTA/P 2.47.1 Release Notes, SLI needs an FSC Code.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SLI FSC.png
Views:	147
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	370756

Run your FSCStatus, and look in KAFAS for a 7E FSC Code:

KAFAS2[DiagAddress=93(0x5D)]

App ID 126 (0x7E)

I know Part 65502184753 (Retrofit speed limit info) only mentions a manual VO and or IBAC Code, but I think when ordering this, it is actually the FSC Code you are ordering, whereas on the BMW Apps retrofit, you are ordering the hardware (FBAS Video Line from 6NF Base Plate to CIC), so the FSC Code is mentioned separately in that case. That's my guess anyway.

F10 550i Retrofit speed limit info.pdf

Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 550i F10
Hello folks...

I don't really understand what or how to enable the SLI.

I do have a F10 2011 modell (11/2010 built) and have a HUD too..US version, however the car is now in Germany and I would like to add the SLI to use it here... I do have the lane departure warning, High-beam assistant and the lane-change warning... so the camera is in the front mirror..

I did follow the guides on the cheatsheet and coded the KOMBI and the HU_CIC... but no luck..

I can enable the Speed Limit info check on the Navigation for the HUD and the Kombi... but it will not work.. On the HUD, i see nothing.. on the "Kombi", I do see the speed limit sign, but it does not work... only "---" shows with the red road sign...

I do not have that 8th option in the FA list and I believe that my ISTA Version is from 10/2010...

Can anyone give me a step by step list so I can have this work?

I am a beginner in the whole coding thing, but experienced with software and computers, however, would be appreciate if anyone can give out an Newbie Guide..

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrider View Post
Hello folks...

I don't really understand what or how to enable the SLI.

I do have a F10 2011 modell (11/2010 built) and have a HUD too..US version, however the car is now in Germany and I would like to add the SLI to use it here... I do have the lane departure warning, High-beam assistant and the lane-change warning... so the camera is in the front mirror..

I did follow the guides on the cheatsheet and coded the KOMBI and the HU_CIC... but no luck..

I can enable the Speed Limit info check on the Navigation for the HUD and the Kombi... but it will not work.. On the HUD, i see nothing.. on the "Kombi", I do see the speed limit sign, but it does not work... only "---" shows with the red road sign...

I do not have that 8th option in the FA list and I believe that my ISTA Version is from 10/2010...

Can anyone give me a step by step list so I can have this work?

I am a beginner in the whole coding thing, but experienced with software and computers, however, would be appreciate if anyone can give out an Newbie Guide..

Thanks!
If you do not have a 7E FSC Code Imported and Activated in KAFAS, you are wasting your time.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 AM

Thanks shawn...

Even if I have the old "firmware"?? Mine is from 10/2010...so not the newest ISTA version i guess?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Thanks shawn...

Even if I have the old "firmware"?? Mine is from 10/2010...so not the newest ISTA version i guess?
Americanrider,

What Shawn is not telling you is that he helped me for weeks in my efforts to activate SLI in my car. Shawn went above a beyond the call of duty on this, and indeed, at minimum an FSC code is necessary.
My conclusions after all of this work is that even with an FSC code, it might not be possible in cars without KAFAS2 (as opposed to just KAFAS). I even think that having NBT is a requirement.

JEG23
Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks shawn...

I don't know exactly what version of ISTA/P started the FSC requirement. The release notes I posted for ISTA/P 2.47.1 make mention of it, but I don't know if it was added in that release or an earlier one.

There are way too many FDL Codes to even begin to figure this one out. Adding 8TH to the VO and VO Coding the ECU's is the way to go. Also, I am sure on a 10/10 build, to VO code with 8TH, the car production date will need to be made much newer.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks alot!

Seems to be really complicated! I guess going through the dealer and "buying" this feature wouldnt really work?

Also...it is normal that I can see the sign in the front "kombi" and the option in the HU_CIC right?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks alot!

Seems to be really complicated! I guess going through the dealer and "buying" this feature wouldnt really work?

Also...it is normal that I can see the sign in the front "kombi" and the option in the HU_CIC right?
You can only buy from the Dealer what BMW offers as official retrofits, and they do not offer an official SLI retrofit in the U.S.

You can code parts of SLI on, and some indicators in KOMBI and CIC will appear, but they will not be functional.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 AM

Ok, that backs up my experience here... seems like I should remove the coding then for these things if it doesnt work...

Do you know if retrofitting is possible in Germany for my US Car?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Ok, that backs up my experience here... seems like I should remove the coding then for these things if it doesnt work...

Do you know if retrofitting is possible in Germany for my US Car?
They will go by the VIN, and if your car is U.S. spec, my guess is no.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 AM

Mein Auto: 750i
on my 09 F01 bmwvin list...

S8TDA DECODIERUNG SPEED LIMIT INFO Decoding Speed Limit Info

i got no hud, can i activate SLI on my car somehow?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco135 View Post
on my 09 F01 bmwvin list...

S8TDA DECODIERUNG SPEED LIMIT INFO Decoding Speed Limit Info

i got no hud, can i activate SLI on my car somehow?
Likley not.

I am not really sure exactly what 8TD is, but you need 8TH.

Assuming you have KAFAS camera hardware, at the minimum SLI requires an FSC Code imported and Activated in KAFAS, which I have yet to be able to find a seller for a non-factory SLI VIN.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 04-22-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM

Hey Shawn...

just an update: your information about the FSC Code thing seems to be wrong, at least for my car.. I manage to activate the Speed Limit info and it is working!

I just found out that I have to code the KAFAS Modul too...

Which would be this:

Quote:
1)
I was not aware that I had to code KAFAS Module too, thats why it never worked... now i just changed those things and the --- sign appeared on my HUD too. I did a test drive and it is working now!

It just shows the regular square signs, just when I pass the speed limit sign...

However, I am not in Germany with the car and I would like to switch it to german/european road signs. I assume that I need to change those country codes... to what? 1?

Also, I had to restart esys and now Kafas module is not showing up anymore in the FA list, very weird.. that way I cant really code the sign look...

Any suggestions/idea what to do?

PS: I never added the 8TH to the SELEPA, since I did not know how?! (you may tell me)...but it worked though...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Hey Shawn...

just an update: your information about the FSC Code thing seems to be wrong, at least for my car.. I manage to activate the Speed Limit info and it is working!

I just found out that I have to code the KAFAS Modul too...

Which would be this:

I was not aware that I had to code KAFAS Module too, thats why it never worked... now i just changed those things and the --- sign appeared on my HUD too. I did a test drive and it is working now!

It just shows the regular square signs, just when I pass the speed limit sign...

However, I am not in Germany with the car and I would like to switch it to german/european road signs. I assume that I need to change those country codes... to what? 1?

Also, I had to restart esys and now Kafas module is not showing up anymore in the FA list, very weird.. that way I cant really code the sign look...

Any suggestions/idea what to do?

PS: I never added the 8TH to the SELEPA, since I did not know how?! (you may tell me)...but it worked though...
SLI FSC Code is a 7E FSC Code, and it was introduced in ISTA/P 2.47.1:

Name:	SLI FSC.png
Views:	90
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	375044

What version of ISTA/P is on your car?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 PM

thanks for your quick response!

I don't have the computer here.... but its something from 09/2010 !
Old 05-06-2013, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
thanks for your quick response!

I don't have the computer here.... but its something from 09/2010 !
Americanrider,

Can you clarify a bit what you see? If I understand you, you are not in the US, but in Germany.

Does the system actually reads and provides the speed limits?

Getting the speed limit sign (square or circle) is one thing, getting the KAFAS camera to recognize and post the speed in you dash or HUD is something else.

I think I have the code to get the European sign to show up at home (I will get you that when I get there). I just want to make sure you have gone farther than what many of us have done and have it actually working.

JEG23
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Name:	Sli kombi.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	375059

Name:	SLI-HUD.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	375060

Name:	HUD test.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	375061Hey Jeg...

sorry, for not writing this before... alright... just played again on my car... Kafas is back...

for the facts: I do have lane departure warning, automatic high beams and that rectangle thing in the mirrors (forgot the name)... no SLI from bmw so far...the car is a US SPEC car, i just took it to Germany since i relocated... car is working fine so far..

I did have the KAFAS module there all the time.... just didnt touch it regards SLI....

And yes, it does show and recognize it!

I just changed the Country settings to 1 and it does show now the german/european signs...so which is working fine now! Although, the HUD shows the sign not with the white background (my HUD test screens shows them somehow)...anyone knows how to enable this?

So.. yes, the SLI is working, however, the signs are showing up for a second once I pass the speed limit sign... doesn't appear there permanent...is there a way to make it appear a bit longer???

Just included pictures... 1 from HUD (sorry coulnd't get the iphone cam that far while driving and making a picture in that moment)... 1 from KOMBI (showing 30km/h) and one from my HUD info test modus (this screen I don't have it in the normal operation...not that nice 3d road navigation...only the old basic one ...)

PS:Shawn: its definetly the ISTA of 10-09 something... so 09/2010 which makes sense since the car was built in 11/2010 (2011 modell)...

PPS: I did play also a bit on the SLI Variation (i believe it was in Kombi)...it was inactive before.. set it to SLI-Variation 1 or so...speed limit did not recognize.... did set to inactive again... it did recognize... tried to go with SLI-variation 2 and 2_nit or something and both worked fine so I just left it at 2_nit...

Last edited by Americanrider; 05-06-2013 at 01:15 PM.