Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-16-2013, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Does this sound like a bad starter

Hi all. I'm having issues with getting an 04 to turn over. It sat for 3 days and I got the sound below. I took the battery out and had it checked and charged. Put it back in and I get the same.

What should be the next thing that I check? I've searched and found the possibilities of the armature not engaging or an alternator. How would I go about checking these myself?

Thanks

Ads by Google
Old 11-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
No, your starter sounds perfectly fine. If your belts are turning while the engine's cranking, you can be sure the starter is turning the engine. Look elsewhere.
Alternator doesn't figure in starting the engine; only comes into play if it has failed to charge the battery & there's now not enough power to turn the starter. If the battery's been charged, it should start with sufficient power even if the alternator turns out to be bad.
Don't know what it could be... fuel related? Did you try to read codes to get a clue on the problem?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Thanks for the input. If the fuel pump is running, will I hear a humming sound? I don't have code reader, so I guess now is the perfect time to get one.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 / 2007 335i
I would guess it is probably a bad fuel pump. Mine went out about a year ago and I had the same symptoms. Mine would act like it was going to start, as yours does, but just wouldn't. I initially thought it was the battery myself, but it turned out to be the fuel pump.

I had mine towed to the dealer. The pump itself was around $300 and the labor was around $300-$400. Needless to say, if I knew it was the fuel pump before I had it towed, I could've replaced it myself and saved over half of the total bill.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
I think I am going to say its fuel related too. When you put the key to position 2, do you hear the fuel lines open up/prime?

Have you tried leaving it in position 2 for a couple seconds, than cranking?
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers - July'14
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Have you tried using a bit of starter fluid? That'll narrow it down to a gas related problem. Don't use too much as it can hurt the engine. If it starts up using a bit of fluid sprayed into the airbox, then dies in a few seconds, that would tell me spark's okay, but it needs fuel. What about those codes?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Agree with previous posts, it is fuel related. When was the last time you filled her up?***55357;***56833;
Old 11-18-2013, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
We are jumping to conclusions here.

The starter has been ruled out for sure, and the battery, as the engine is cranking O.K.

Can't eliminate the electronics or a number of sensors that would prevent a start.

Everything has to be right in the air-fuel-spark dept. for starting and if the computer is getting an incorrect signal from something like the crank angle sensor, or even the oil level sensor, it ain't going to work.

The fuel pump isn't the only suspect here, but jlex's suggestion for using a short spray of starter fluid could help to narrow things down to the fuel area.

As could the lack of any smell of gasoline after several unsuccessful start attempts.

I like to think that fuel pumps give some warning before shutting down completely, but maybe that's no longer the case.

As it appears to be something that has suddenly gone kaput, that should be part of diagnosis procedure - again, that doesn't exclude sensors.