Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: ALFA Spider, Ford
X5 35d

Nitros,
We ordered a 2012, X5 35D
Sapphire Black Metallic
Oyster White leather
Premium pkg
Premium Sound pkg
Nav Pkg
Technology pkg
Sport pkg
Comfort pkg
Adaptive Drive
Space saver Spare

Think that is it.
Got it at invoice - $4,500 eco -$2,500 USAA
We are pretty happy about that.

This is our first BMW.
We were on the bubble about the Adaptive Drive but decided to go "All in" WTH

I will follow up with reports after we pick it up an drive it.

I'm kinda bummed as it is my wife's vehicle and I am driving a 2000 Accord with 140k on the clock.
I'm thinking I see a used CPO 5 series in my future
Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Luscombe, it sounds like you really got everything but the kitchen sink. I thought long and hard about the Adaptive Drive but ultimately decided against it.

As for my order, the automated 800 number says it's still in the paint shop and estimated for completion yesterday. It has been that way since Thursday. I decided to use one of my two weekly conversations with a live person (as I've given myself a limit), and they said that it has actually completed assembly and is going through QC. I don't know if that means it's at the VPC or not, but at least it's done. I've seen various postings that say the 800 number is fairly real-time, but that clearly hasn't been the case for me. I may have to up my ration of live conversations to three this week in light of that.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: ALFA Spider, Ford
Hi Lance,

This is our first new car in 34 years and it is in celebration of our 35th anniversary.
My wife is a Saint and deserves way more than just this vehicle. So we looked at the things we really wanted and in order to get each one, you have to buy the particular package.
Leather seats=Premium pkg
Comfort seats = Comfort pkg
GPS = Nav pkg
HUD=Tech pkg
Sound= premium sound
Wheels and Steering wheel = Sport pkg

We felt like the ECO and USAA credits took a lot of the sting out of the costs.

We were on the bubble regarding the AD option and decided for it based upon feed back from the forum. We did not want to have any regrets.

I am thinking that no matter what options you end up getting or not, you will enjoy the vehicle.

Now we wait for July 12 and the PCD experience (Patience grasshopper).
We will finalize the purchase at the dealer on June 29.

I admire your self imposed ration of personal calls. I find myself on the BMW or dealers or this forums website everyday.

Just ordered about $250 of cleaning supplies, buckets, sud gun, towels, waxes, etc.

I ran across the "Junkman" videos on youtube and have been learning about how I am supposed to wash my car. Hard to believe I have been doing it wrong for all these years
Anyway, l;ots of good information. Going to practice on my 2000 Accord first.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Luscombe1940, great story and hope you guys enjoy the heck out of them the way I have with my 2011 diesel that I am trading in for a 2012 35d which will be finish in two days then shipping. I have 33,000 miles of pleasure in two years on the one I'm trading in. I stepped up to AD this time, can't wait, enjoy!!!
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: S2000-MINI JCW-X5 50i
Quick Adaptive Drive question - from what I've read on the forums, it seems that AD delivers a firmer ride - is this a correct assessment? Thanks!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
Quick Adaptive Drive question - from what I've read on the forums, it seems that AD delivers a firmer ride - is this a correct assessment? Thanks!
I will tell you in a couple of weeks but I am hoping for a better ride than without AD. I searched the forum (you should too) and it has been said among other things that it can be firm but will help the ride on rough surface. I will be getting 19" tires again to help with that. I may go with non RFT to finish it off, don't know yet and will depend on testing. Wife and grand kids need to sleep or bad things happen.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the advice to search - but as I noted in my post, I have already done that and could not find an answer, thus my question.

Everyone seems to be getting the AD option but I can't seem to figure out a reason why. Is it because the suspension gets upgraded to coilovers? Does it make for a smoother ride when at slow speeds and firmer/better control at higher speeds? Just trying to get a feel for what it is...my X5 still hasn't started production yet, so I am still thinking about this option but I can't really see pulling the trigger on it unless I get a better understanding of what it does or what people's impressions of it are.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Thanks for the advice to search - but as I noted in my post, I have already done that and could not find an answer, thus my question.

Everyone seems to be getting the AD option but I can't seem to figure out a reason why. Is it because the suspension gets upgraded to coilovers? Does it make for a smoother ride when at slow speeds and firmer/better control at higher speeds? Just trying to get a feel for what it is...my X5 still hasn't started production yet, so I am still thinking about this option but I can't really see pulling the trigger on it unless I get a better understanding of what it does or what people's impressions of it are.
Do a search on Adaptive Drive on this forum and you will get all the details you need. I haven't driven any X5 with AD on it but after reading the details about AD on this forum, I decided to get AD on my X5.

I understand the AD is always on feature with Normal mode as the default and on pressing the button, it switches to Sport mode. It affects only the suspension of the SUV and greatly reduces body roll in any 3 directional axis (longitudinal, lateral & vertical).

It is not available in diesel trim though.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:08 PM

Nitros, it is available on a diesel as I have one ordered.

Grimnebulin, I hope you know I did not suggest you search the forum for AD to be a hard ass but so you can read the great info I was able to find to answer my questions, I can't wait to find out if it fills a big void to make the X5 even more awesome, good luck.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:

I'll try to put it in lay terms: it makes the vehicle not seem as heavy as it really is while improving handling; It reduces body roll, etc.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ive_drive.html

I think it's a great option, would have ordered it if the X5d were going to be mine as a daily driver. I would consider the option a "driver's car" option (someone who appreciates small details in the suspension, etc), but we passed on it this time again because the X5 became my wife's daily driver, my wife could care less, and I drive an M3 now.

Now if I didn't drive an M3, and I primarily drove the X5.. I'd have ordered Adaptive Drive.

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)

Last edited by 335i; 06-11-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:16 PM

Thanks for all the info - body roll info was good.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
Nitros, it is available on a diesel as I have one ordered.

Grimnebulin, I hope you know I did not suggest you search the forum for AD to be a hard ass but so you can read the great info I was able to find to answer my questions, I can't wait to find out if it fills a big void to make the X5 even more awesome, good luck.
No offense taken - I just am having a hard time wrapping my head around what it does based on what I've read on this forum. My wife doesn't want a real firm ride on the X5. My track car has coilovers with 16kg springs all around and she cannot stand driving in it. Go figure. Thus I want to make sure I'm not putting her in the same spot with the new X5 and AD. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM

In paint shop, will be finished tomorrow. May have it next week.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
In paint shop, will be finished tomorrow. May have it next week.
Lucky you! I think mine on a train at this point, as it completed production on Sunday. The person at the BMW 800 number told me to stop calling and that I should follow up directly with my CA

I'm estimating that I will get it the week of June 25th, but we'll see. Given that you're in LA, you should have yours next week.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:22 AM

Just called the 800# and it went into production two weeks early - should be done on the 22nd.

Last edited by Grimnebulin; 06-15-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:35 AM

Sweet...you are getting close. The wait sucks though.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post
Sweet...you are getting close. The wait sucks though.
No kidding - I see a few posts around here about peoples' cars having been done for a few weeks but still not delivered. I know It'll still be a while - but at least it got started two weeks early.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:18 AM

Grimnebulin - what did you ever decided about AD by the way?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Passing on it for now - didn't really get enough informative feedback to justify the cost. Wife's a realtor so she doesn't want anything that rides firmer and also passsing on the M Performace Package too since she wants a quieter vehicle and one with not completely terrible gas mileage.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM

Mine is at the dealer. Arrived yesterday. I will pick it up this Tuesday.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitros View Post
You will get it before I get mine I think. Of course will need pic's and a AD report if you don't mind. Good luck with delivery!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Old 06-15-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Congrats! +1 on pics and a report out on AD
Old 06-15-2012, 02:36 PM

Yep, I will try out the AD and post some pics as well
Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 PM

Just came back from the dealership. Although it was closed, we went to check if our X5 was at their parking lot.

It was dusk by the time we reached there and numerous sky lights brighten the parking lot. There were many X5s parked over there but far from one corner of my eye I think I saw my X5 due to its glittering chrome trims.

We hopped over the service gate, trespassed the dealer lot and found our X5. I verified the VIN and it was indeed our car. Our face brightened up. I checked all visual configurations were there. 5 cameras, chrome grill, perforated seats, AD button, Nappa dashboard and HUD. Tires were from Bridgestone. It was too dark to take pictures via iPhone.

The doors were even unlocked. I think it was in transport mode. There was cosmolin wax coat over the paint but it was still strikingly beautiful. The flow of the skylights over the curved surfaces was simply amazing I can't imaging how will it look after it is washed, waxed and polished. We are convinced we selected the right color, sparkling bronze with chrome trims.

I am now all set to pick up the car this Tuesday. I really felt the separation anxiety.