Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Stupidest Nav routing Awards List

Well since the nav seems to constantly pick new and baffling ways of routing me to various locations, I feel like we should come up with a fun thread.

The premise: take a picture of your nav system when it tells you to do something really stupid, take a picture. No, scratch that, have your co-pilot take a picture. Gotta be safe here. Take it an post it. We can then vote on which ones are the worst. Sound good? I'd love to do one every week but, well, not all of us have co-pilots.

In any event, I submit this wonderful sample for your consideration this week.

I mean, really, seriously? There is no separate destination set. Really. The nav SERIOUSLY told me that this was the fastest way to traverse I-270 South through Maryland. I mean, seriously? Any idiot can see that there is no reason for this. Not only is it diverting me off the highway in order to make forward progress, it's actually having me make something that looks like a U Turn on a divided highway. Seriously?

Ok, so I made a big deal of this post just to show you how stupid the nav can be. If no one wants to do a contest, I can deal with that. But I figured I have this week wrapped up!

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 06-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2012, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Needs i think you would flame me for my post ! and i think most of the folks here dont agree with me...

Anyways i had 3K miles on my car and i am the person who cannot drive with out navigation!
execpt to my office and home i need the navigation to be running all the time!!

and it works perfectly fine and i am 100% satisfied with the navi....

On the other note the ramp preview will pop up automatically in my car.

Sorry for derailing the thread .....now pelase get back to the work it is very interesting

Last edited by DreamCar; 06-04-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
The only logical explanation for that diversion would be an accident or construction on that leg of 270, but neither is notated on screen. In a future version, maybe it would have steered you on that route if you were low on gas and it calculated you need to get off there since there was a gas station noted and you would run out.

I also have had times when a diversion off a logical route occurred with no explanation. Without a meaningful explanation, I would chalk it up to the digital gods mixing up a few 0's and 1's.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
The only logical explanation for that diversion would be an accident or construction on that leg of 270, but neither is notated on screen. In a future version, maybe it would have steered you on that route if you were low on gas and it calculated you need to get off there since there was a gas station noted and you would run out.

I also have had times when a diversion off a logical route occurred with no explanation. Without a meaningful explanation, I would chalk it up to the digital gods mixing up a few 0's and 1's.
Realize the scale of that map: that "leg" is no more than ONE MILE. If that.

This car simply gets it wrong too many time.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 06-04-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
I think that the winner each week should be given the "Wrongway Feldman Award."

As a side note (and trivia question), does anyone know who Wrongway Feldman was?

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
The BMW Navigation works fine for me also. My guess is most of the stupid routing is due to not using a split screen and then selecting "Route Preference". With this feature you can pick the different options "Fastest", Shortest" "Avoid Highways", "Avoid Toll Roads" etc. and a mini map appears on the right hand split screen so that as you select each option the complete proposed route for that option is shown. By right-clicking iDrive to the right split screen you can then interectactively zoom and scan the proposed route.
I've also found the easiest way to enter destinations is to download from Google Maps or BMW Remote via BMW Assist and never mess with the error prone built in database.

Last edited by Mike550i; 06-04-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Can't get a photo til my next trip to the beach but returning to Atlanta / I-95 traveling West on US 278 the NAV has me turn left off 278 on a side road, go 50 yards, make a u-turn, turn left and get back on 278 going West.

If it was dark, in the rain, and I was faithfully following the NAV this would be an unnecessarily dangerous mis-direction.

I just know to laugh at it now!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
And i never use dynamic routing(Disabled it)... and generally dont change route preferrences!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:15 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Well since the nav seems to constantly pick new and baffling ways of routing me to various locations, I feel like we should come up with a fun thread.
Hey look, my wife's new TSX made me miss an exit Saturday on the way downtown to Arena Stage. I was set to take the exit to Maine Avenue, all ready to take it (as previously directed by the NAV), at the last second, the voice says "stay left". I'm like, wait this must be it -- but NO--- I keep going past the exit. End up back on 395S back over the 14th street bridge back to Memorial bridge. Stupidest thing I ever saw, of course still kicking myself to listen to an electronic voice. I think what happened is it should have waited the 3 seconds until I had taken the exit, then said "stay left". Look, they're all bad sometimes.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 06-04-2012, 06:16 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Realize the scale of that map: that "leg" is no more than ONE MILE. If that.

This car simply gets it wrong too many time.
Come on Needs, you there's a pothole in the stretch of 270 that has cost BMW more in Goodyear Eagle LS tire bubble warranty claims than the Gross Domestic Product of Paraguay. So, of course the NAV system avoids that stretch of road.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
The nav has sent me on some "off the main highway" routes with no rhyme or reason on occassion. Once I was driving from Lewes, DE down to Ashburn, VA. Nav sent me the same route I had looked up on Mapquest, no problems. For the return trip (exact same starting and ending locations when programming it; same parking spot in the same lot and everything.), the damned thing exited me off the main highway and re-routed me through the whole of Washington, DC! I was completely baffled by this and I think threw every explative I could muster at the damned thing.
I use a portable "TOM-TOM" in my other vehicles and that has been spot-on since day one, with nary a hiccup.
2011 BMW 528i- Black Saphire Metallic, Black Leather, Prem. Package, Prem. Package 2, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package,Sport Auto Trans, Anthracite Wood & Headliner, Xenon Lights, Split Fold-down Seats.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike550i View Post
The BMW Navigation works fine for me also. My guess is most of the stupid routing is due to not using a split screen and then selecting "Route Preference". With this feature you can pick the different options "Fastest", Shortest" "Avoid Highways", "Avoid Toll Roads" etc. and a mini map appears on the right hand split screen so that as you select each option the complete proposed route for that option is shown. By right-clicking iDrive to the right split screen you can then interectactively zoom and scan the proposed route.
I've also found the easiest way to enter destinations is to download from Google Maps or BMW Remote via BMW Assist and never mess with the error prone built in database.
Yeah, that's it. I forgot to uncheck the "stupid routing" option.

Please explain to me how it makes any sense with any routing option to make this exit?

also, I selected this route over 15 miles away from this point. When you select the route from the list of alternatives (test I did check), it shows you the WHOLE ROUTE. Are you one to zoom in on the entire route to check for stupid mistakes like this the whole way along a 15 mile route? I didn't think so. When it's zoomed out, this looks like the normal routing on the map.

Seriously.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 06-04-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: '11 GTR, '12 X5 50i, 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOST PROTOCOL View Post
I think that the winner each week should be given the "Wrongway Feldman Award."

As a side note (and trivia question), does anyone know who Wrongway Feldman was?
Of course...Gilligan's Island reference...the lost pilot.

Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Old 06-04-2012, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Come on Needs, you there's a pothole in the stretch of 270 that has cost BMW more in Goodyear Eagle LS tire bubble warranty claims than the Gross Domestic Product of Paraguay. So, of course the NAV system avoids that stretch of road.
If that's the case there must be a ton of potholes in my area. I've had so many bizarre routes calculated that I wouldn't know which one to submit for this contest. Maybe they need a checkbox for those of us who have ditched the Goodyear RFTs for non-RFTs and don't have to avoid potholes at all cost.

I believe that there should be a prize for the best submission each week. I suggest a Tom-Tom or Garmin device.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
That's a messed up routing. It does seem to be extra confused in the DC area. When I came home from PCD, it did a pretty decent job getting me to Charlotte then to the outskirts of DC. For some reason it got really confused, and sent me on a goose chase in rush hour that cost me a lot of time. I could also swear that the thing has said turn left, and the arrow was pointing right, or vice versa.

I had an example this past weekend where it took me on an out of the way route that got me there, but it wasn't anything near an optimal route. The nav in my E70 was many times more accurate and reliable picking the proper routings.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:30 AM
Alpina Addict

Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
Quote:
Please explain to me how it makes any sense with any routing option to make this exit?
Looks like some data error in the map database for that "bypassed" freeway stretch, i.e. 5 instead of 0.5 miles length, or 06 instead of 60 mph average speed. This kind of error would be an obvious reason for such a strange looking diversion.

"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Old 06-06-2012, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5
Quote:
Yeah, that's it. I forgot to uncheck the "stupid routing" option.

also, I selected this route over 15 miles away from this point. When you select the route from the list of alternatives (test I did check), it shows you the WHOLE ROUTE. Are you one to zoom in on the entire route to check for stupid mistakes like this the whole way along a 15 mile route? I didn't think so. When it's zoomed out, this looks like the normal routing on the map.

Seriously.
How do you get the nav system to show you alternatives? I know I've seen it, but I wanted it recently, and couldn't figure out where it was. (I was driving from NY to Boston, and wanted to take the Merritt Parkway rather than I-95, but the nav system was insistent on my taking I-95.)

Previously...
'11 F10 550i M Sport (ED Aug 1, 2011; US deliv, Sep 12, 2011)
'08 E90 M3
'07 E92 335i: ordered Nov '06; delivered Jan '07, totaled Sep '08.
'02 E39 M5: June 2002 - June 2007
'00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i + VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Old 06-07-2012, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: S430
I like Laser saw a glitch in the BMW nav when trying to return from Hilton Head Island to Atlanta. It had some strange routing then it said it could not calculate the route. After we passed a point on hyway 278 about 10 miles from Hilton Head it was able to calculate the route. I thought this was really strange because it calculated the route down to HH alright.

Then I went down in another car with my Garmin GPS and it did exactly the same thing!!!! Even stranger is BMW uses TelaAtlas maps and Garmin uses Navteq maps. Somehow the hyway data both got about hyway 278 near Hilton Head had screwed up.

So when my nav makes an unusual route I first suspect the map data because I traveled 9000 miles around the USA and Canada last summer with both the BMW and the Garmin selecting the routes. Only in northern Arkansas was it significantly different and that was because the BMW did not have a major new road shown while the Garmin-I had just had a new maps upgrade before I left- had the road.

I would say that %99.99 they were the same.

Since then I have upgrade the BMW to the 2012 maps and I now find Garmin and BMW to be the same. Except the BMW still does not show a road near my house that has been there 50 years! TelaAtlas maps are better in the USA than before but still not as good as Navteq while telaAtlas is better in Europe!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
How do you get the nav system to show you alternatives? I know I've seen it, but I wanted it recently, and couldn't figure out where it was. (I was driving from NY to Boston, and wanted to take the Merritt Parkway rather than I-95, but the nav system was insistent on my taking I-95.)
Toggle left, then select the clock icon.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
needs, were there car only and car and truck lanes on this stretch? my car has a real hard time figuring those quirks out.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Slightly off topic, but.....
Does anyone know if there is a way to get Google Maps directions into the car's Nav system. It seems that destinations can be emailed to the car, but I don't see how to get directions into it.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I don't expect the new Nav will change this.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 06-07-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaRanger View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to get Google Maps directions into the car's Nav system. It seems that destinations can be emailed to the car, but I don't see how to get directions into it.
There is no way.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:54 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaRanger View Post
Hopefully with the new nav maps and routing algorithms this will be moot.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:10 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc1 View Post
Hopefully with the new nav maps and routing algorithms this will be moot.
I haven't seen any announcement to suggest they changed their mapping supplier.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels