Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Matty K.

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Jet Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
There is no way.
I must be missing something here. You are talking about the google maps integration in the car, right? I use it and send the directions to guidance in the car, all the time. Select the query result, select the guidance "checkered flag", drive away?

I guess I should also say that I live in the Savannah - Hilton Head area, and I travel frequently down 278 with guidance enabled whenever we want to try a new restaurant or nightclub. I have never had that little detour as described above occur while I was on 278. My sample set is probably around 100 - 150 trips. I wonder what I'm doing differently.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkossler View Post
I must be missing something here. You are talking about the google maps integration in the car, right? I use it and send the directions to guidance in the car, all the time. Select the query result, select the guidance "checkered flag", drive away?
I am pretty sure this just sends the destination to the car.
The BMW Nav system still does the routing.

'02 E46 330i 5MT (ED Sept '02) - SOLD
'12 F30 335i Sport 6MT (ED May '12)
Old 06-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
I am pretty sure this just sends the destination to the car.
The BMW Nav system still does the routing.
Exactly.

I was assuming the question was related to setting the actual route, as you can in Google maps.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 06-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
what about the last item here, guys?

It comes as part of convenience plan. maybe its just a web page, but still as it is google maps, its trust worthy.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:32 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1201 View Post

It comes as part of convenience plan. maybe its just a web page, but still as it is google maps, its trust worthy.

This doesn't give directions, just looks up addresses and phone numbers and feeds those to the nav. The nav does the routing.

I have this feature. I don't bother to use it, because if you have the convenience package, you can call the Concierge and have them look up the address and send it to your nav. That approach is hands free

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkossler View Post

I guess I should also say that I live in the Savannah - Hilton Head area, and I travel frequently down 278 with guidance enabled whenever we want to try a new restaurant or nightclub. I have never had that little detour as described above occur while I was on 278. My sample set is probably around 100 - 150 trips. I wonder what I'm doing differently.
I believe you would see the anomaly if you tried to return to the mainland from the island.

I drove a 2012 7, 6, and 3 at last Falls BMW sponsored Concourse de Elegance and each of the NAVs read "Unable to provide Guidance" from HHI.

Traveling West on 278 after I think the Tanger 1 the NAV directs you to the little left U-Turn nonsense.

Just one of many incidents. I used to report them to TeleAtlas and would get a thank you email response

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 06-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1201 View Post

The last item is the inverse. With the convenience plan you can have the system send an email with the car's current location (and destination programmed into the nav) and then the person on the other end can look it up on Google maps. (At least that is what is described in the text.) Google maps can then highlight it's routing between the two but that's on a computer or smartphone.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 PM

BTW, the EU models (at least German ones) support offline routing.
You create routes using a BMW website, save them to a thumb drive and then upload to the Nav.
https://www.bmw-routes.com/de/en/abo...e-planning.jsp

There was a thread a while back on this. It used to work on US cars on ED with te EU maps loaded but does not work anymore (there is no option to upload the route).

This seems like something worth exploring whether it can be enabled with the coding options....

Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I believe you would see the anomaly if you tried to return to the mainland from the island.

I drove a 2012 7, 6, and 3 at last Falls BMW sponsored Concourse de Elegance and each of the NAVs read "Unable to provide Guidance" from HHI.

Traveling West on 278 after I think the Tanger 1 the NAV directs you to the little left U-Turn nonsense.

Just one of many incidents. I used to report them to TeleAtlas and would get a thank you email response
I spent a week at HH in March and went on/off island everyday and I don't remember having any NAV issues, well other than one restaurant that went out of business, but Google Maps didn't know that either.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 06-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5
My favorite is one route I take often where the nav system maps out a "W" route when there's a perfectly reasonable route that's basically a straight line across the W, and about a quarter of the distance. Yet another "WTF" moment in nav usage.

Still, it beats the "Christopher Columbus" days when you would drive off the end of the earth. :-) I have had BMW nav systems since 1996. (My first E39 was one of the first cars in North America with nav.) There was decent detail for the town I live in, but only three or four roads in the next town. On my drive to work, the nav system would throw its electronic hands up in the air and give up as I drove my usual route to work. A few updates later, they finally filled in the details of that town.

Previously...
'11 F10 550i M Sport (ED Aug 1, 2011; US deliv, Sep 12, 2011)
'08 E90 M3
'07 E92 335i: ordered Nov '06; delivered Jan '07, totaled Sep '08.
'02 E39 M5: June 2002 - June 2007
'00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i + VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Old 06-09-2012, 06:20 AM

If this works it would be quite an advancement to the current technology!

"A solution comes from an app commissioned by Chevy, called GoGoLink, available this fall. A GPS app, it offers touch controls easy enough to use while driving and it stores, rather than streams, data for the maps on the phone. Updates can be made using Wi-Fi, which doesnít count against data use.

At $50 for the app, which will be available for both Apple and Android products, itís half the price of a basic portable GPS. Itís a bigger bargain when compared with factory-installed packages that typically bundle navigation with more powerful audio systems and features like voice recognition, weather reporting and traffic alerts ó and cost more than $5,000 in a car like the 2013 Acura ILX."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/au...it_th_20120609

Old 06-09-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I spent a week at HH in March and went on/off island everyday and I don't remember having any NAV issues, well other than one restaurant that went out of business, but Google Maps didn't know that either.
Try the Sea Shack near the Sea Pines main gate

Actually TeleAtlas has acknowledged a couple of their HHI glitches:

"Thanks for your feedback about Tele Atlas maps! We appreciate your help to identify changes and keep our maps as fresh and accurate as possible.

To check the status of your report, click this link to your Map Insight Status Page or copy and paste this text into your browser:

http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapf...a5ef9c5f062/en

Tele Atlas makes updates to its maps every day, but it takes time for those changes to show up in our partners' products. Once the Map Insight Status Page indicates that your issue has been addressed at Tele Atlas, please contact your application provider to learn when the update will be available for your device or application.

Please visit the Tele Atlas web site at www.teleatlas.com to see how our database is created and maintained. Tele Atlas employs over 2,000 people in many countries around the world and uses a vast network of resources and users like you to continually update our maps. We appreciate people like you who take the time to tell us where we might need to make a change.

Please continue to help us by entering new reports here and thanks!"

- Tele Atlas

and another:

"Thank you for contacting Tele Atlas. Based on a review of your report, we can now confirm that the change you suggested has been made. It will go out in the next release of our map database. This report is now closed.

Tele Atlas supplies maps to the companies that make devices or applications, not directly to the people who use them. We update the map we supply so these companies can incorporate the map update in their own systems. When this process is complete, your change will be made available to you. It may be possible to purchase an updated map; please contact your device manufacturer or application provider for further information.

Thanks again for your willingness to help keep Tele Atlas maps up-to-date and accurate!"

Last edited by laser; 06-09-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Matty K.

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Jet Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Try the Sea Shack near the Sea Pines main gate

Actually TeleAtlas has acknowledged a couple of their HHI glitches:

"Thanks for your feedback about Tele Atlas maps! We appreciate your help to identify changes and keep our maps as fresh and accurate as possible.

To check the status of your report, click this link to your Map Insight Status Page or copy and paste this text into your browser:

Tele Atlas makes updates to its maps every day, but it takes time for those changes to show up in our partners' products. Once the Map Insight Status Page indicates that your issue has been addressed at Tele Atlas, please contact your application provider to learn when the update will be available for your device or application.

Please visit the Tele Atlas web site at www.teleatlas.com to see how our database is created and maintained. Tele Atlas employs over 2,000 people in many countries around the world and uses a vast network of resources and users like you to continually update our maps. We appreciate people like you who take the time to tell us where we might need to make a change.

Please continue to help us by entering new reports here and thanks!"

- Tele Atlas

and another:

"Thank you for contacting Tele Atlas. Based on a review of your report, we can now confirm that the change you suggested has been made. It will go out in the next release of our map database. This report is now closed.

Tele Atlas supplies maps to the companies that make devices or applications, not directly to the people who use them. We update the map we supply so these companies can incorporate the map update in their own systems. When this process is complete, your change will be made available to you. It may be possible to purchase an updated map; please contact your device manufacturer or application provider for further information.

Thanks again for your willingness to help keep Tele Atlas maps up-to-date and accurate!"
I'll also try the guidance the next time I'm headed back to Savannah from HHI. Oh, by the way, if you're by the entrance to Sea Pines, walk a little further back and try the brewery.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
I am frustrated with my NAV. It seems to get me off the highway way too early and makes me drive through towns when staying on for a few more exits is more direct. My last BMW nav seemed to mirror google directions. I find myself ignoring instructions and staying on the highway. Although the newer Nav has many more options I can't seem to figure out how to make it stay on the highway. I have fastest route selected and I am not avoiding highways.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li