Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X5
How to change used SZL VIN for F10??

Hey everyone,
Recently changed out my faulty szl for a used one. Now no problems going into sport/sport+/comfort mode but steering wheel controls/horn/paddle shifters aren't working and I have airbag faults (resistance too high). I also had an error code saying the szl is not for the correct vehicle.

I'm hoping once I correctly code my vin to the szl these faults will go away. I thought I could do so with my working ISTA/d software that I got from Shawn. But it looks like I'm not allowed to do that option (it says run vehicle test first).

I also do have a working INPA AND Tool32 software.
Can someone please please help and give instruction on rewriting the VIN to this SZL??
Thank you,
Ant
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2016, 06:38 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
You need to flash (program) the Control Unit, and it is never an easy task when it is a used one. I replied to your PM.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 06-28-2016, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You need to flash (program) the Control Unit, and it is never an easy task when it is a used one. I replied to your PM.
Is it a much simpler process when it's a brand new unit?
Old 06-28-2016, 04:22 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan84 View Post
Is it a much simpler process when it's a brand new unit?
In case of SZL, probably not. For other ECU's, like Kombi, CAS, ZGW, etc, then yes.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 04-17-2017, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 520d Touring F11
Did you manage to get this sorted, I need to change the SZL module on my F11 due to a failed clock spring.
Any information regarding programming and VIN change would be gratefully received.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search